Thread: Tear in Track

Default Tear in Track

I just found tear in my 144 inch track on my 700 RMK. The tear starts at one of the holes in the side of the track and extends about 2 inches towards the center of the track. Other than the tear the track is in great shape. Is the track junk at this point? Can I still ride with the tear or will the track come apart at anytime now? Can I do something to stop the tear from extending further? Any help before I go spend $600 on a new track would be greatly appreciated.

Northeasterly of a Big Lake

Google search "track repair"...I've not needed this service...yet...I found it the other day surfing about snowmachine sites and book marked it.

one of the links found...
    HTML Code:
    ...there are several others, they all seem to use a process from Carroll Tech, inc. I found one in Colorado and several in Central U.S. I'd look for some outfit that uses the process that's a tad more "local" than Colorado...but you would have thought of that.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out for you.

Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Kind of an odd tear... I doubt it will hurt anything. I "ported" my track on my 700 RMK this year which consisted of drilling about 270 holes in it, something to this effect -

I doubt a small tear will amount to much. Keep an eye on it though. If it starts getting worse you may need to find another track.

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Eagle River, AK

Default Shoe Goo

I repaired a cut in my track with Shoe Goo. I cleaned it out good and roughed up the surface on both sides. I put the Shoe Goo into the tear and coated both sides. I then used some fiberglass cloth and bandaged the outside with a couple of layers. I clamped it all together with some plastic wrap to keep the clamps from sticking. I let the patch set for a week and removed the clamp. It was the end of the season, so I let it set all summer. It has lasted several years.
    By the time you ship your track outside and back, you could probably buy a used track instead.
    Good Luck

North Pole

Default Stop Drill it

I know it works on metal we used to do it all the time so I wonder if you stop drilled it ( kinda like Porting only not so many holes)
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"