Thread: Second Rifle choice

Default Second Rifle choice

Second Rifle choice

I have the Tikka SS .300 WinMag with Leupold VIII, 3.5-10 for anything from deer to brown bear. Donít beat me up for this caliber for brown bear because I know several have fallen to the beloved .30-06 Spr.

The second rifle in my arsenal (for mountain hunts and used by wife and daughter) will be one to cover the lower weighted animals, i.e. sheep, goat, and wolf. This rifle will be the Tikka T3 Lite SS with Leupold VXIII in 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 x 50. I am considering several different calibers (.243 win, .25-06 Rem, 7mm-08, .270 Win, and the .308 Win). Considering factory ammo only, the flattest shooter in order is the .25-06 Rem, .243 Win, .270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, and .308 Win. The hardest hitting, the .270 Win, .308 Win, 7mm-08, .25-06 Rem, and .243 Win.

Considering every possible scenario, I should choose the .270 Win, right??? And top it with the 4.5-14 x 50 scope??? I am going down the wrong direction or just need to tweak the arsenal???

See you in the bush in 2013!

I understand what you're saying here in some aspects, but remember that sheep and goats are both heavier than deer. Not really lower weighted animals. But I would agree with you're assessments otherwise and also with your conclusion. Nothing wrong with the good'ol 270. Can't help you much on the choice of scope.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I'd suggest you study up on your target animals...I'd be comfortable shooting a sheep or wolf with a .243...heck, I'd shoot a moose or certainly a caribou with a .243 if packing a good bullet and given a decent shot.

Mt Goat? That's .300mag territory as goats are just tough and live in terrain where they often place themselves beyond recovery.

Its more complicated than just body weight. That said, your .300 is more than adequate for everything you might shoot to eat or in the unusual circumstance that might want to eat you. If your set on a second rifle then bring a .223 to take furbearers without tearing up hides or a .22 magnum for that matter. I've often had a selection of 2,3, 4 or more serious hunting rifles but it seems the .300 goes out an awful lot when there's killing to be done.

My choice was the .270 wsm, I have been very happy with the gun. I am thinking different than you on goats. I shot my moose this year, but I am taking my .338 on my goat hunt.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

A lightweight .270 that is stocked for you will knock the hell out of your daughter. I personally wouldn't consider the .270 or any 30-06 class rounds for a lightweight rifle. Might as well stick with the .308 class rounds. A .308 will serve at any reasonable shooting distance. Save your money, buy yourself a rifle, your wife a rifle and your daughter a rifle....fitted to each of you. I see no reason on earth to put a 50mm scope on a lightweight rifle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I grew up with, and swear by the 243-in the lower 48. It's my competition rifle and a deer rifle. If you want long range accuracy, the 243 is the bomb, especially with hand loads, and a light recoiler, too. I'm with hodgeman; if you place your rounds right, a 243 will do the job, especially on caribou on down. I personally wouldn't shoot a moose with it though, lessin' I had to, but that's a very personal decision to make. A .243 would make an awesome rifle for a wife or daughter. As much as I love Winchester, I'd say check out the Savage line; I've had a Savage 110 in 243 for .... 15 yrs now. It's the only gun I own that's not a Winchester, but I still love it. And cheap to buy too!

What I don't get is why you need a 2nd rifle in the first place. 300 Win Mag is pretty popular up here-just stick with it. Buy your wife and daughter their own rifles.

All of that said, a 30-06 Model 70 will do everything in Alaska, except birds & small game. If, 20 yrs ago, I had known I would end up in Alaska, I would have bought just the one rifle and been done with it.

For the light weight rifle I would go with the 7-08, but I wouldn;t use a 50mm Scope. 3.5x10x40 is plenty scope heck even a 2.5x8x32 is enough. First of all you can get away with lower scope mounts and it is adding extra weight that you really don't need. If you buy quality optics it will save you in the long run.

The best all-around rifle for your entire family to shoot is probably the 7-08. It's lower felt recoil and flat trajectory make it a winner both on the range and in the field. Coupled with the availability of ammo loaded with high quality bullets make it capable of taking ALL big game. I'm not advocating hunting grizzlies with the 7-08 however it wouldn't be my last choice either. This caliber is also available in nearly all brands of firearms in both right and left-handed as well as youth and ladies models.
    I'm with Doug on this one a scope that heavy negates the advantages of a light-weight rifle and would make it less manageable for a lightweight shooter, a 40-44 mm will be more than adaquate.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I would look hard at the 270Win. as your second. For the wife and daughter you can buy "reduced loads". I have used it for pronghorn, deer, elk and sheep. I wouldn't put anything bigger than a 3.5-10x40 Leupy in a duplex reticle. That will leave the 300Win. Mag. lonely in the gun safe if you aren't careful.

Does Tikka have a 280 Rem.? That would be my choice.

.243W shootin' 100grain projectiles.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If you're stuck on the Tikka, I'd probably go with the .270, possibly .25-06. My problem with the Tikka is they don't make a short action. For some reason I have a problem buying a long action rifle chambered to a short action cartridge. If you're willing to look at other models that are available in short action (possibly Sako A7 which is very similar to the Tikka), then I'd probably go with 7mm-08.

As for the scope, I'd go no bigger than 3.5-10X40. As others have said, 50mm is just unnecessary weight. And I honestly think 10 power is plenty for almost all big game hunting. I have a 3-9X and a 2-7X on my main hunting rigs and have never wanted more power even out to 400 yards. Anything above that reduces field of view too much for me at close range. Also, the 4.5-14 probably requires an adjustable objective which is just one more thing to fiddle with in the field.

good input and much to consider...my current scope configuration will suffice. My daughter has used the .300WM twice, once for her first white-tailed buck then another on a doe. She is my butchering buddy and there is just something extra special when she is successful as opposed to a hunting buddy's success.

I would choose a 6.5x55 Swede, but I'm a handloader named Borg which makes the round more appealing on two counts. If you do not reload and are not of the Scandinavian persuasion, I'd say go with the .243. You are covering a broader spectrum of applications that way. Save some money on the scope and buy two of them. Then buy yourself a .270 for Christmas with all the money you saved because you were thrifty and bought two scopes for the price of that other one you were going to buy. Then maybe a reloading kit and some dies so you can save money on ammunition. Then with all the money you are saving on ammo you can buy a .223.

How you explain this all to your wife is up to you.