Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your opening day??

Default How was your opening day??

I had a great time with my son Jason...got there a little later than usual, but the guys that were in the spot we usually occupy were doing great! Lots of birds around, we took a sampling!IMAG0158.jpgIMAG0156.jpg

Didn't make it out today! Have a new job so I couldn't take the time off. I hope to hit it up this weekend!

Had four limits by nine in Kenai!! It was te best I have ever seen it out there. My dog did really good it's his 4th season made me really proud.

Cant afford the stamp till tomarow, taking my 4 year old Gunther out after perschool tomarow. Say Howdy if you spot a lunactic and his kid duck hunting with a recurve bow.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Worst ever

Worst ever - at work today. I sat this one out since my "pup" is too old to handle hunting where I like to go on opening day. Can't bring myself to go without him.
    Should have been 8 more birds out there for the rest of you this year.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Mine hasn't arrived yet I'm in Arizona Oct 8

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Mine hasn't arrived yet I'm in Arizona Oct 8
    Same here. Counting down the days..

Mine is tomorrow!! Birds or not its going to be great getting back in the marsh.

pulled out the SBEII and getting ready, buy the stamp Friday. Calling to get a fly in Drop Off. Did not draw non res for South Dakota this year so going to have fun either way. Safe hunting and hot barrels to all of you. Jeff

1 Teal for me, 1 Pin for my brother in law, 2 successfull retrieves for Tikka... and there was rejoicing in the land.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I got a couple teals yesterday afternoon and cried as I saw about 40 geese fly over 30 min after shooting time. :-(

Thursday was a WAR!!!!.....Was great camping out with AD Duckman and friends. We stayed up all night catching up on the last year over good scotch and cigars. Great morning with alot of birds..everyone limited out. Today was pretty slow..managed limit by 8, packed up

Skybusters....How in the world are you going to kill that duck at 200 yards? I watched one bird fly across the marsh at about 200 yards high..teasing at least 6 hunters...18 rounds shot at this pour guy as he kept the same altitude and speed...was crazy.....
    probably had a grin the whole time..lol
    Was pretty awesome being out there over the last few days...enjoy tomorrow guys..it has been a long wait.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Mine sucked....I was 4800 miles away. Plus my wife forwarded a pic of my very depressed dog. Apparently someone tippped her off that it was opening day. Hopefully Sunday/Monday.

I got my limit, and my buddy got 6. He was giving me a lot of crap for shooting a few spoonies, then he goes and shoots one. It was pretty nice to turn all that crap he talked right back at him. I haven't been back out over the past couple days, but we are headed out again tomorrow and Monday.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Duckhunter01 you must be a heck of a shot to manage a limit by 8 am Friday. I did a lot of shooting (and a lot of missing), and got a number of ducks on thursday, and less on friday. Was a very nice opening, noticeably less people, wife and I the only ones in the section of marsh we were hunting and it was very relaxing. Weather was great for the opening. Lots and lots of ducks flying on Thur, a lot less Fri. The quality of the hunt was excellent, had ducks working the deks without being blasted at by another blind 200 yds away. Slept in today til 6, but will be out again tomorrow, and maybe Mon also. The ducks got a education the past couple days, now the real hunting begins. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I got my limit, and my buddy got 6. He was giving me a lot of crap for shooting a few spoonies, then he goes and shoots one. It was pretty nice to turn all that crap he talked right back at him. I haven't been back out over the past couple days, but we are headed out again tomorrow and Monday.
    My very first duck (1963), I was hunting alone, with deks, had a pair of bright greenheads land in my deks, I got up, walked towards my "mallards" and shot one when it jumped up. Later that day I showed my friends my prize "mallard", they had a good laugh and told me it was a spoonie. . Bud
    Wasilla

LOL blackdawg don't feel too bad. I shot my first duck yesterday and I am still trying to identify it.
    I was darn proud of myself, though.

It was a great day wasnt it?....alot more peaceful Friday, without the skybusters out there flaring everything...

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Duckhunter01 you must be a heck of a shot to manage a limit by 8 am Friday. I did a lot of shooting (and a lot of missing), and got a number of ducks on thursday, and less on friday. Was a very nice opening, noticeably less people, wife and I the only ones in the section of marsh we were hunting and it was very relaxing. Weather was great for the opening. Lots and lots of ducks flying on Thur, a lot less Fri. The quality of the hunt was excellent, had ducks working the deks without being blasted at by another blind 200 yds away. Slept in today til 6, but will be out again tomorrow, and maybe Mon also. The ducks got a education the past couple days, now the real hunting begins. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Had to head to Anchoragua and get a new matress for the pregnent wife. Had plenty of spots I tried jumpshooting from Seward to there and back. Hens with Juvies on spot after spot. At 930 on the way back down the Seward Highway saw a nice flock of mallards cruise beside my jeep for 2 miles before setting down in the lily pads. I must be building serious Karma right?

It was awesome. Spent the opener with akscootnshoot and his crazy lab and a couple of other buddies, then spent the night and hit it again the next morning. We hit four limits both mornings before noon, mostly mallards. Plus three geese. Good times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast