Thread: Fight Training VS Target Training

Default Fight Training VS Target Training

I have noticed lately that there are huge differences between weapons training for suvival / combat reasons and the shooting of targets in ways that some may consider tactical. Classes all across the U.S. seems to be training the same way, and these classes incorporate almost 0% physical fitness ( eg pushups, situps, sprints prior to shooting ) and the lacking of real life senarios. Combat training classes are few and far between and typicaly are more expensive, but offer life changing experiences and real life senarios. What are your thoughts on the different schools in this country, the way they train. I have had many people tell me that most of the classes are " real world " training in which they are correct,,,,,,,,,, but a civilian who works a 9 to 5 or salary position has a much different world that a law enforcement agent or combat troop thrown into the mix,,,,,,,,,,,, so what is you version of real world. No response is incorrect.

This could take a while but I only have 5 min left for lunch......anyway, shooting techniques taught by the more elite schools resemble and derive from the shooting sports, more specificly IPSC/USPSA and 3 gun.

The tactical aspect of surviving and the shooting skills are only parts to the equation....

Those of us who work and lead regular lives, live in the same world as cops and combat troops. However, we differ, as the later looks for fights and confrontions, their job is to beat down the enemy/scumbags.

We on the other hand need only to finish something someone else started. This usually only takes seconds to minuits......then the uniformed warriors arrive (usually after its over)....God bless us regular folks on the day we have to fight the warriors......God bless our warriors who have to go against someone who knows how to shoot.

Combat training for the most part is boring.....especially the older we get.....Shooting the action sports on the other hand is a hoot, and those who take it to say "B" class skill level will out shoot 95 percent of bad guys not to mention cops and soldiers.

Plus, most of the schools understand that mostly older folks can afford the classes and gear!! So whos lifestyle will they teach too?

As Salcha said, the real world is mostly us folks over 50 (yikes) who are out and about doing our business and just everyday living. We on the average don't do a hundred pushups, or run 5 miles every day like we did way back when. And most of us carry a couple of extra pounds from "good winters" around our waists. Training for our needs, is to "end a confrontation". (PERIOD) We don't usually go looking for a fight, or have someone tell us to go fight a war. Therefore, the training businesses will cater to that need more than anything else (read make money). If you look at most of the firearm competions with a grain of salt-- they try to put a spin on what could happen in anybodies everyday life. Have to shoot through a window?, use a car for cover?, enter a room in your own home checking for burgulars (bad guys)?.... As we used to say in the Army- Train how you would fight.

Chris

The fire arms training thing, be it target or tactical, with what ever weapon, is a never ending and evolving discipline. The hunting world in general has benefited from the things bench rest shooters have learned. We have more accurate barrels, ammunition components, optics and rifles because of it. There are some good gun fighting schools in America and I would like to attend a couple some day. I believe the priorities for U.S. citizens/civilians, are to have a very good understanding of the Use of Deadly Force. We need to know and understand what your local, state and federal laws say about it. With that comes a proper mind set and the will to survive because you are on the right side of what ever happens. Then comes the gear and training. Good quality guns, magazines, ammo, speed loaders, belts, holsters, pouch's, lights, etc. Then there is the training. For me it means not getting shot, so I need to do every thing I can to avoid those situations if possible. I need to be able to get accurate shots off and probably in a hurry. So I have to spend time on the draw stroke, sight picture and the very important trigger press. It is always a good idea to know what attorney you will call if you need one. Many books have been written on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    As Salcha said, the real world is mostly us folks over 50 (yikes) who are out and about doing our business and just everyday living. We on the average don't do a hundred pushups, or run 5 miles every day like we did way back when. And most of us carry a couple of extra pounds from "good winters" around our waists. Training for our needs, is to "end a confrontation". (PERIOD) We don't usually go looking for a fight, or have someone tell us to go fight a war. Therefore, the training businesses will cater to that need more than anything else (read make money). If you look at most of the firearm competions with a grain of salt-- they try to put a spin on what could happen in anybodies everyday life. Have to shoot through a window?, use a car for cover?, enter a room in your own home checking for burgulars (bad guys)?.... As we used to say in the Army- Train how you would fight.

Chris
    I'm in the over 50 crowd and my shooting is done more as to keep up the skill's i have learned over my lifetime of shooting and my socalled Tactical training drill's i run are more for the socalled it hit the fan and now i have to deal with the problem .

My indoor practice with a air rifle is done more for keep hand & eye & mind focus togerther when coped up dureing the winter months and not beening able some day's to train out on the rifle range .The same area of practicing goes over to the rifle i carry to hunt or protect myself for the same area's of trigger & breath control & aiming of the weapon sight's is all the same line up them up to take the shot if practice or a real life encounter with a two legged or four legged creature.

If you want reality give all your family a gun and have them shoot at you while you try to clean a bank of targets. Barring having
    bullets shot at you, reality just isn't there. However it never hurts to practice.
    If you want to do push-ups and sit-ups join a gym, if you want to learn to shoot join a shooting club and practice with as many different firearms as possible in as many different principles and positions as possible. The shooting principles are basic and the practice and competetion will hone your skill with firearms, toss in some reloading and you're way ahead of the curve.
    The best thing to train is your mind; It will get you out of tight spots even when you don't have a gun. Look at many countries like Afghanastan ,Palestine and Iraq, they've held out for years against the most powerful armies on earth while inflicting major damage on their aggressors, all while either undergunned or outgunned.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Your mind is the weapon, everything else is just a tool.

The absolute LAST thing you want to do is shoot someone so use your head and keeping yourself out of a situation is the first order of business. Situational awareness and having a plan to get out of the situation instead of using your protection method is effective....using the gun/knife/stick/rock or whatever only as a last resort. This works for 2 and 4 legged critters and avoid the problem if at all possible. We sometimes loose focus....there are many more assaults, rapes, murders and so on than there are bear/moose attacks and there is a much better chance you will die from one of them at the hands of your fellow man than a wild animal.

Regarding old people....don't fool with them....they can't run or fight very well anymore so they will just kill you. And, if you are in a fair fight....your tactics SUCK!!

"Regarding old people....don't fool with them....they can't run or fight very well anymore so they will just kill you. And, if you are in a fair fight....your tactics SUCK!! "

The very words spoken by an inmate. I work in the Anchorage Jail. An over 50 inmate was being provoked by a twenty year old inmate. The older man pushed him up against a wall and hit him in the mouth. Since his head was against the wall he went out like a light. When the young man came to the older man said, "you have to understand that at my age I won't box around with you, I will just kill you." Moral: don't mess with crotchety old men.
    NRA Lifetime Member