Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 Magnum

Default .44 Magnum

Do any of you carry a .44 magnum in a chest holster while fishing? I'm looking for a lightweight gun with a barrel of 4" or less. Any recommendations?

I'd sure look at the Taurus 44TrackerSS. Five rounds vs. six but 2.1 pounds vs. the 2.6 pounds of a 4" S&W Model 29... and more compact. I don't own either but I was sure impressed with the Taurus.

S&w 329pd 4"

Depends on your profeciency with firearms and your physical stature to an extent. I have marlin guide gun, S&W 500, and Glock 10mm. Depends on where I am going as to which I take. If you are going to post a gun thread in the fly fishing forum, at least give us more to go on.

Dan

I carry a Colt Anaconda 44mag 5 1/2" barrel and use 340gr Buffalo Bore loads. I also sometimes carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag with 5 1/2" barrel. I might be willing to part with the Ruger if you are interested, its a great backpackers gun.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

S&W .44 mag in a 4" bbl strapped to center of chest. Easy access as it goes over the clothes and is out of the way but handy as heck!
    BK

I use a S&W model 29 in 6" strapped in an Uncle Mikes nylon "Guide" model that straps to my chest. Works great and haven't had to use it yet.... well let's just say that I haven't had to fire it yet. Been in a couple hairy situations, but you just have to have your wits about you.

Lazer has a good eye. I carry the Taurus 5 shot Tracker in a shoulder holster. Never think of leaving it because it is to heavy or in the way. Can carry it all day with no problem. Load it with four rounds. If I need more than that it is probably to late anyway.

I carry the same, on the chest, in stainless. With 330 gr. No fun at the range though.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm looking for recomendations for lightweight .44 magnum revolvers that carry well in a chest holster. Emphasis on lightweight. Thanks for the feedback so far.

I have a 329PD and really like it - can't get much lighter.

I'm not sure on how well it carries in a chest holster, I've never tried. I carry in a breakfront shoulder holster - I'm a just little anal on muzzle control and just don't like having my gun pointed at the person next to me, even in a holster. Even with the shoulder holster, I'm alway on the left to make sure my sweep if drawn does not sweep anyone.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5" barrel. I have a chest hoslter for it that puts it in perfect position (handle is right at the top of my waders in easy reach).

S&W 329 PD like the others have suggested is as light as they come and is a really nice gun. Hint- the light weight really makes a difference when it goes off with hotter loads (not a range gun)! I personally love the front of the chest holsters as they do not interfere with casting, arm movement, and are accessible easily. Also easy to adjust to wear on the outside of a PFD.

I also carry the S&W 329 PD. It certainly is the lightest .44 Mag your going to find. It is a little more expensive but well worth it. I have not yet thought of not taking it because it is a burden. As stated above, definitely not a range gun! I do prefer the wood handle over the rubber grip, it seems to slide in the hand a little when fired and hurts a little less. I also carry it in a chest holster which allows for easy access but stays out of the way when doing pretty much anything, casting, hiking, etc. I carry it with only 5 rounds so the barrell is free of any round unless fully cocked for safety purposes.

I went with the 329 PD as well. Both factory grips were too small for my mitts, so I ordered the .500 rubber grips. That made a huge difference. Shooting standard 240 grain loads is not a big deal. The 300 grain hard casts will get your attention. I would prefer to have something larger, but I also wanted something that I would carry. This gun is a pleasure to wear.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The 329 PD - or any modern DA revolver for that matter - is perfectly safe with a round under the hammer UNLESS it is in a fire and round cooks off.

I've been carrying mine for several years now. It is a pleasure to carry at 25.8 oz unloaded with the rubber grips. I've shot it quite a bit and feel the 310 gr bullets are less painfull to shoot over the lighter rounds. To me the heavier bullets appear to have more push and less of a sharp rap.

Expensive but worth every penny. If you can find one used it is even better - S&W will still honor their warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by flyphysh View Post
    I also carry the S&W 329 PD. It certainly is the lightest .44 Mag your going to find. It is a little more expensive but well worth it. I have not yet thought of not taking it because it is a burden. As stated above, definitely not a range gun! I do prefer the wood handle over the rubber grip, it seems to slide in the hand a little when fired and hurts a little less. I also carry it in a chest holster which allows for easy access but stays out of the way when doing pretty much anything, casting, hiking, etc. I carry it with only 5 rounds so the barrell is free of any round unless fully cocked for safety purposes.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I wanted the smith 329 but I opted out because I like to shoot my .44 frequently and the 329 is not a very fun to shoot in my opinion. I bought a Taurus model 44 SS 4". It's a 4" barrel, usually runs around 500$, is ported, holds 6. For a holster I have the Diamond D guides choice chest holster. I cant say enough good things about that holster. Spendy but worth it. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Does the bear get a gun? Fight em' bare handed like a girl. http://www.adn.com/2011/08/31/204153...er-dog-by.html

I carry either a 12 ga. or ruger super blackhawk .44 and usually bear spray too.

Quote Originally Posted by justin262 View Post
    I wanted the smith 329 but I opted out because I like to shoot my .44 frequently and the 329 is not a very fun to shoot in my opinion. I bought a Taurus model 44 SS 4". It's a 4" barrel, usually runs around 500$, is ported, holds 6. For a holster I have the Diamond D guides choice chest holster. I cant say enough good things about that holster. Spendy but worth it. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
    329 with .500 grips, ported, w/ moonclips. Shoot it all day long. Porting gets rid of the flip, I'll deal with the noise and flash and take the extra speed to put 6 BIG boolits into something in a hurry.

Besides, Rarely shoot mag loads anyway. IF I'm shooting just to shoot, 44 specials, cheaper.

Guides choice holster as well. Its awesome.

All you need is a can of bear spray unless of course you suffering from a testosterone deficiency, then a .44 might give you that extra boost of confidence

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast