Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 338 Winchester Magnum

Default 338 Winchester Magnum

Okay,I ended up going with a Kimber Montana 338WM.
    This setup(Vx11 3-9x40/Talley U/lights) will now be my go-to hunting rig.

Who out there has one?What are your thought's on this setup-Kimbers?What scope/rings/ammo you running?And what game you chasing?

340 .

PS-Also luv to hear from all you 338WM nuts = Setup,ammo(loads) & performance.
    And pretty much anything to do with 338WM's you might like to add .

Well if you are like me and like to shoot it like people like to shoot 22s I would suggest a break. All day at the range gets to be a little much. As far as bullets go 225 Nosler Part are a great bullet for just about anything. If you are going after some big big bears kick it up to the 250 NP.

Default 340wby

Please let me know how the recoil is on that light weigh monster. I have been considering the same rifle myself in the same caliber but don't want to make a huge mistake. I have heard the Montana stock soaks up recoil really well, but a .338 in a six pound rifle has got to be a handful. Shoot me a pm when you have shot it please.

Default light 338

Quote Originally Posted by 264Legend View Post
    Please let me know how the recoil is on that light weigh monster. I have been considering the same rifle myself in the same caliber but don't want to make a huge mistake. I have heard the Montana stock soaks up recoil really well, but a .338 in a six pound rifle has got to be a handful. Shoot me a pm when you have shot it please.
    I was recently at a Friends of the NRA banquet and that same rifle was one of the items given away in a drawing. If my name would have been drawn that was the one of the five guns in the list I would have chosen. However I wondered the same thing about the recoil. I would love to have a Kimber, but 6 lbs seems awefully light for an abusive rifle like the 338. I too am curious how it all works out. Rather than just PM, post your findings here if you would.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Love my .338!

I don't have the Kimber, opted for the Ruger Model 77 with a 1.5x-6x scope - love it! I had used a .30-06 for all my previous Alaska hunting, but with a PAST Recoil Pad (Mag Plus version I believe) I can shoot 30-40 rounds at the range from hunting positions, no problema!

Got a wolf and a moose this past September with it, using 225 grain Swift A frames. Never felt the recoil while shooting at game. It's a blast to shoot, good luck with yours!

Michael

Buy a February 2007 issue of Handloader. In page 48 you will find an outstanding article written by Brian Pearce, titled "Handloading the .338 Winchester Magnum." The reloading data Mr. Pearce provided in the article covers the following bullets:

BARNES
    185, 210, 225, 250-grain Triple Shock

SPEER
    200, 225-grain spizter Softpoint, 250-grain Grand Slam, 225-grain TBBC

SWIFT
    210-grain Scirocco, 250-grain A-Frame

HORNADY
    225, 250-grain Spire point

NOSLER
    225, 250-grain Partition
    ----------
    Also, Federal now loads a 180-grain Partition at 3120 fps, which is a standard .338WM load with a 180-grain bullet, and bullet drop = -39.2" at 500 yards. But my favorite Federal load is with Barnes 225-grain Triple Shock bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Buy a February 2007 issue of Handloader. In page 48 you will find an outstanding article written by Brian Pearce, titled "Handloading the .338 Winchester Magnum." The reloading data Mr. Pearce provided in the article covers the following bullets:

BARNES
    185, 210, 225, 250-grain Triple Shock

SPEER
    200, 225-grain spizter Softpoint, 250-grain Grand Slam, 225-grain TBBC

SWIFT
    210-grain Scirocco, 250-grain A-Frame

HORNADY
    225, 250-grain Spire point

NOSLER
    225, 250-grain Partition
    ----------
    Also, Federal now loads a 180-grain Partition at 3120 fps, which is a standard .338WM load with a 180-grain bullet, and bullet drop = -39.2" at 500 yards. But my favorite Federal load is with Barnes 225-grain Triple Shock bullets.
    Yeah I have it,great read.

There will be allot of 338WM talk in the coming months,as OLD BRUISER turns the BIG 50 next year.

Default Nosler

I shot a 338 WM and I will tell you that me and my brother have had 250 grain nosler partitons come apart in game. One time he hit his bou and he injured another that I ended up putting down, because the bullet came apart. Dont get me wrong, I have a .6 inch group with them, but I would not use them on brown bear for that reason.

Terry

Default The .338 Mag.

If I had millions of dollars I would still get a .338 in a 8 lb. rifle with a 2.5 x 8 Leupold scope. I would still prime Winchester cases with Federal 215 primers and put a bunch of Reloader 19 in them and top it off with 225 or 250 grain Barnes X bullets. Then when I entered the Alaskan bush I would have all I need for big bears up close or far away caribou. Now that comment should irritate the heck out of some folks.

Default nosler

i used a .340 on my b.b. with a leupold 2.5-8x and 250 gr n.p. and the bullet we did find was a textbook mushroom. i almost always get a one shot kill with the n.p.. y.m.m.v.

Talking Go Big

I say go big or go home. I make sure I have the utmost in BB defense upon traversing the great Alaskan trails. I use the Russian made RPG, it's just enough to take them big ornery bears down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default NP bullets

"I shot a 338 WM and I will tell you that me and my brother have had 250 grain nosler partitons come apart in game. One time he hit his bou and he injured another that I ended up putting down, because the bullet came apart. Dont get me wrong, I have a .6 inch group with them, but I would not use them on brown bear for that reason"

The front portion of the NP is manufactured so that the front portion is supposed to fragment and is not ment to mushroom. The second portion of the NP essentially acts as a solid the end result is that one usually ends up with a bullet fragment with about 64% of the original bullet. NP are fine for BB.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    If I had millions of dollars I would still get a .338 in a 8 lb. rifle with a 2.5 x 8 Leupold scope. I would still prime Winchester cases with Federal 215 primers and put a bunch of Reloader 19 in them and top it off with 225 or 250 grain Barnes X bullets. Then when I entered the Alaskan bush I would have all I need for big bears up close or far away caribou. Now that comment should irritate the heck out of some folks.
    I like you...

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I shot a 338 WM and I will tell you that me and my brother have had 250 grain nosler partitons come apart in game. One time he hit his bou and he injured another that I ended up putting down, because the bullet came apart. Dont get me wrong, I have a .6 inch group with them, but I would not use them on brown bear for that reason.

Terry
    Could you please speak up and repeat what you said to this guy for me?

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    "I shot a 338 WM and I will tell you that me and my brother have had 250 grain nosler partitons come apart in game. One time he hit his bou and he injured another that I ended up putting down, because the bullet came apart. Dont get me wrong, I have a .6 inch group with them, but I would not use them on brown bear for that reason"

The front portion of the NP is manufactured so that the front portion is supposed to fragment and is not ment to mushroom. The second portion of the NP essentially acts as a solid the end result is that one usually ends up with a bullet fragment with about 64% of the original bullet. NP are fine for BB.
    Yes, that's the way the partition is designed. The Partition Gold can be used if one wants more lead retention, but the standard Partition works just fine.

I have had several one-shot moose kills with the 250-grain Partition, from 175 (or so) yards, up to 275 yards. The load I used was Federal's 250-grain HE. The closer moose (175 yards or so) dropped almost on the spot, and the bullet passed right through. The other moose (275 yards) dropped on the spot, but all I found were bullet pieces inside. It did it's job.

Now, it's hard to beat a 225-grain or 250-grain TSX, or the old "Lubalox" coated FS. Since I don't want Molybdenum in my rifle's barrel, I not longer use the FS, so I have switched to the TSX, although I still have a box of 250-grain NOS HE, and a box of 225-grain TB-HE. I reload my own, too, and the article I mentioned above is very handy.

Some 15 years ago I bought a winchester md. 70 .338 With scope it weighed about 7 1/2 pounds. Now, I can usually handle recoil well but after four or five shots, I needed a brake (pun intended) A friend being the fine stock maker that he is, restocked this gun with some dense wood bring the scoped rifle up to over 8 1/2 pounds. What a difference.

I worked up a load using 250 grain nosler partitons that was plenty accurate. Other than a couple whitetails the only other animal I have taken with this gun was a 10 foot Kodiak bear. The bullet performance was what I'd hoped for. Now days, I use the accubond in most calibers which has always performed as adversitied.

A long time dream is about to materialize. I'm going to the peninsular for another bb, this time with my bow.

Thumbs up 225 Tsx

No need for a 250gr when you have a 225 Barnes TSX.
    Alaska

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 264Legend View Post
    ....I have heard the Montana stock soaks up recoil really well, but a .338 in a six pound rifle has got to be a handful......
    Recoil affects different people in different ways.

I have a light 338 Mag that I lightened even more. I don't even notice the recoil.

But, then, I don't shoot it like I would a .22........

I've shot a 338 for 15 years and have been waiting for a lighter one to come into my possession. It has today, only in a Tikka flavor, not Kimber. I have had no problems with the recoil in the past and don't expect any from the lightweight.

I have had good luck on Caribou with the 210 Nos. Par. and wouldn't hesitate to use the 225 or 250 on BB or anything else here.

As for loads, I have always used IMR 4831 and can always find a load that goups well with it. Everyone has their preferred powder and I don't hesitate to try others but the IMR has always been the "hunting load" powder.

Good luck

Default 338

I have been using my Browning 338 stainless stalker for 16yrs for everything from brown bear to sheep. My favorite bullet for heavy game is TBBC, avg 95% retention with extreme knockdown. A bit tough to shoot at the range but don't notice the recoil in the field.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast