Thread: advice on the jims lake area

Default advice on the jims lake area

i can't make it out tomorrow morning for the opener but i am going to try and get out for an evening hunt tomorrow. i have been researching the area and i am wondering if anyone has any last minute advice for me. i am borrowing a 10' jon boat with a 5 h.p. motor so i am planning on launching and hunting the jim's lake, from reading prior posts i am under the impression that this lake is a little bit easier to navigate threw other than the boat launch. my plan is to head across and off to the left hand side from the launch area. does this sound like a good or bad idea? i am not to worried about shooting a bunch of ducks i just want to get out again and finnally do some hunting.

thanks, duckhunter8

Jim Lake is deep over most of its area so you will have no issues running an outboard. The east end is normal waterfowl habitat, but when there is a lot of pressure in the system the birds can stack up out in the middle of the lake amoung the weed beds.

The north edge of the grass beds on the east end can be decieving. The water is pretty deep and the grass is floating. Make sure you shoot at birds you can retrieve. It they are falling in the grass you may not be able to find them without a dog.

There are many little pockets in the edge of the grass to hide a small boat. It can be a fun spot to hunt once the rest of the system starts seeing pressure. Don't be surprised to have birds ripping through really fast headed for the center of the lake or towards the huge grass field to the east. Pick your shots.

Is the lake deeper than last two years? You couldn't run an outboard last year. Was hard enough for me to paddle my canoe it was so low.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Is the lake deeper than last two years? You couldn't run an outboard last year. Was hard enough for me to paddle my canoe it was so low.
    Keep in mind that many folks confuse the main swamps and the five lakes out there. There is only one Jim Lake and it is at the very end of Maud Road/Rippy Trail. There is no boat launch at Jim Lake, just a steep bank to slide a small boat over. There also is no direct water connection to the creek system. Jim Lake drains through a grass swamp and alder bog that connects up just west of the portage into McRoberts Creek.

If you launched your boat from a ramp below a rock bluff then you were at Mud Lake and not Jim Lake.

Jim Lake is spring fed directly from the mountain side. It does not suffer the same water level drops as Mud, Gull, Swan and Leaf Lakes which are fed from smaller creeks farther away. Swan used to be fed by Friday Creek, but that changed course three years ago and until some beavers get in there and fix it, it could be years before the whole swamp gets back to high water conditions where you can run an outboard in the fall again.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Swan used to be fed by Friday Creek, but that changed course three years ago and until some beavers get in there and fix it, it could be years before the whole swamp gets back to high water conditions where you can run an outboard in the fall again.
    I don't know, seems to be up a good foot from last year, water color coming in from Jurassic Park is a lot cleaner and has the Friday Creek color to it, we may have gotten lucky ande had a side channel swing into the headwaters. Pleanty of current coming around the first finger comparred to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    I don't know, seems to be up a good foot from last year, water color coming in from Jurassic Park is a lot cleaner and has the Friday Creek color to it, we may have gotten lucky ande had a side channel swing into the headwaters. Pleanty of current coming around the first finger comparred to last season.
    Maybe Wetland Retreivers had ought to take one of his buddies planes up there and scout it out for us. Too bad he is probably stuck over in Beluga working his client's dogs to death.

Maybe all the rain has pushed the channel over to the east again, or at least pushed some water in to the system with some over banking.

Having this messed up left arm is making me antsy for getting out, but I have already pushed my luck just moving it around this last weekend and need to let it heal. Of course that Tier I tag won't fill itself, but I have found someone to pack the meat out for me.

I thought Swan was the very last one and mud/Jim were connected? That's the way my atlas shows it anyways.

mud and gull are connected. swan is at the head of jim creek on the right, lief is on the left. if going upcreek on jim creek, jim lake is off to the left but you have to portage. (unless im wrong about all this) Bud
    Wasilla

ya you are probably thinking of one of the other lakes, i made that mistake my 1st time out there also. jims was plenty deep enough for an outboard, lots of weeds but nothing to hard

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post

you have to work twice as much as you think you would to get good shoots in there.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

hey kwackkillincrew were you on jims lake in the evening on opening day?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Of course that Tier I tag won't fill itself, but I have found someone to pack the meat out for me.
    A Dr. note will allow you to send that tag to someone to proxy. I could probably fill the tag in a couple of hours if you are willing to eat a cow...

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    A Dr. note will allow you to send that tag to someone to proxy. I could probably fill the tag in a couple of hours if you are willing to eat a cow...
    Thanks for the offer. I think we are going to make it out this weekend and see if we can find two cows. Sounds like the McClaren area has a few around still so that will be where we start out. One of my favorite moose watching areas.

nope was not their in the evening. you will know if i am in the area because my truck says kwackkillncrew on the front window
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.