Thread: Russian this weekend?

Default Russian this weekend?

Who will be there? leaving the raft at home to get my one trip in on this great stream. Will be staying at the rr campground Friday night, stop in and say what's up!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Who will be there? leaving the raft at home to get my one trip in on this great stream. Will be staying at the rr campground Friday night, stop in and say what's up!

Fish On!
    I've been wondering if camp sites are available.

Fished the Russian from the falls down today! Did ok but seriously there is so much food in the water it was hard to get a hit, plus must have hooked up a solid 50 reds. I had the river to myself, only saw one guide with a couple clients and he had the same complaint. Seriously, why eat a plastic Big Mac when you got piles and piles of the real thing right in front of you! No joke you can **** near walk across the river on the backs of Reds!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I've been wondering if camp sites are available.
    campground staff gets pulled 8/20 as far as I know, camping shouldn't be a problem... catching fish (other than fire trucks) might be, too much food this time of year
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    campground staff gets pulled 8/20 as far as I know, camping shouldn't be a problem... catching fish (other than fire trucks) might be, too much food this time of year
    Staff still there and still charging.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I'm planning on heading down Saturday. Would love to meet ya. What time you heading out Saturday morning? Maybe you can teach me a few tricks with the fly rod while your there?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

We're heading down tonight, got site 66 booked for tonight and Friday night. We'll be on the RR all day Friday, then Saturday we're packing up and fishing the Kenai for the day before heading back to Anchorage.

Sweet! Hopefully the fishing will be good!

Fish On!

I always have fun down there, pretty sure we got a newbie going, so hopefully he can hook into a fish or 2. Stop by Friday evening cox, we'll be hanging out and have a drink or few I'm sure =p

We were in Cooper Landing Aug 20-27. Tried fishing the Russian River up from White trail. Choked with fire engines. Never seen this many before. They make the fishing difficult; caught a few good sized fish. Fished the confluence, did a bit better but it was crowded. We did much better walking to spots on the Kenai below the Russian River. Had an awesome float on the Upper Kenai from Sportsman thru the Canyon with Mystic Waters. Over all this was the best week of fishing I've had in Alaska. Awesome!

One other remark. Lots of bears on the lower Russian River. Easy fishing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    I always have fun down there, pretty sure we got a newbie going, so hopefully he can hook into a fish or 2. Stop by Friday evening cox, we'll be hanging out and have a drink or few I'm sure =p
    Will do, we usually stay in site 05, but we'll see as we aren't making a reservation. I've got a newbie going as well, I'm hoping he knows how to rig up the beads. Is Clint coming down? That guy still owes me a beer...LMAO!

Fish On!

In past years the staff is there until Labor Day and charging full price for full facilities i.e. out-houses and water. After the Labor Day weekend the water is cut off but the out-houses stay open until the end of Sept. Rates are also reduced but you pay at the camp sites in an envelope - take some small bills or your checkbook and potable water.

The ferry is also shutdown after Labor Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Staff still there and still charging.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Ya Clint is going, I'll remind him about the beer!

Default russian

fished the russian a couple few days ago. river is covered in a mass of sockeye dropping. pretty much unfishable because of the about of fish and eggs in the water. didn't see 6 other people there, did see a lot of bears. I saw a few silvers but trying to get em out of all sockeye was almost impossible. did fish the upper below the confluence and then on the sportsmans side of the kenai, down from the ferry. did well with a few over 20". fished the middle for a couple days after that and did good there too. the sockeye drop started on the middle. did good not great catching prob 20 per day per person. no monsters but a couple in the 24-26" class. still alot of dinks around though. hopefully the big boys will come out soon!

Headed north to try and fill a 'bou tag, but if I get one friday or sat, I'll stop down.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Just got back from fishing down that way. Last Sunday was very hard fishing because of all the Reds. Still picked up a couple. Rained very hard yesterday morning so I didn't feel like floating the kenai and walked back down to the Russian. A good number of the reds are on the banks from just sunday. still lots of them in the water with just tons of eggs but was able to get better drifts than Sunday I hooked into some really nice fatties so overall it was a great day there. Hated to come home but plan to be back first of the week for more floating/fishing fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Just got back from fishing down that way. Last Sunday was very hard fishing because of all the Reds. Still picked up a couple. Rained very hard yesterday morning so I didn't feel like floating the kenai and walked back down to the Russian. A good number of the reds are on the banks from just sunday. still lots of them in the water with just tons of eggs but was able to get better drifts than Sunday I hooked into some really nice fatties so overall it was a great day there. Hated to come home but plan to be back first of the week for more floating/fishing fun!!
    Sweet thanks for the report.

Fish On!