Thread: Coyote Air outa coldfoot?

Default Coyote Air outa coldfoot?

I have a couple clients interested in a drop moose caribou hunt up north in a year or two and i told them i'd do some diggin' for them.
    haven't found coyote air in the search stuff, but i don't use it much so may be doing it wrong. But would love some personal experience references from guys here who have flown with them. they won't give out references. like say clients are looking for moose and caribou i'm thinking the south side of the brooks range.
    maybe i'll tag along with them, never been off the road into the brooks....stupid guide job anyway.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Dirk is a top notch pilot and he is often very busy with his repeat customers. That's a pretty good reference right there. He gets super high marks from guide friends of mine that have personal experience with him. He's never had an opening I could book, so I haven't flown with him yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i think my guys are looking at 2013 so maybe they'll squeeze in.
    Master guide 212

That's what it's going to take ... BTW... type in "dirk" into the search box and you will find some threads of guys that have used him. If you've never been up there you are in for a treat. The Brooks is a very wild and beautiful place.

He flies a Beaver......and Beavers are expensive !!!....perhaps someone with another airframe? or are you set on Coyote? theres a few others around....

You are correct. The biggest complaint I hear about Coyote is the cost.

He books up early, thats my complaint. I've tried to fly with him but hes always booked up early.

there'll be at least 4 guys, maybe 6 so the beavers not that big of a hinderance....
    who else is up that way that gets a good nod?
    Master guide 212

Can't say enough good things about Dirk and Danielle, Jake. Drop them a line:
    flycoyoteair@gmail.com

We used Wright Air out of Fairbanks for our sheep hunt in the Brooks this year. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Great pilots who know the area, and absolutely right on time. When they tell you 8:30 take-off time, they mean 8:30, not 8:29 or 8:31. They fly Helios directly from Fairbanks, or 206s to bigger strips and then Helios from there. Not sure how the logistics would work for 4 guys plus moose/caribou, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. We flew to the north Brooks so it was fairly pricey, but probably wouldn't be bad to the south Brooks. I'd recommend giving them a call. They are especially nice for out-of-state hunters because you leave directly from Fairbanks and therefore don't have to worry about making your way up the haul road to Coldfoot or Happy Valley.

Don't most of the services in happy valley move to the south Brooks after sept 1?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Dirk is a great pilot, does a great job of putting the beaver on wheels in some tight spots. He can get a little busy & grumpy at times but as you know that is the nature of that business in late Aug / Sept. I havent' flown with him in a few yrs but last time we did there weren't restrictions on white gas or propane gas for stoves (rumor has it Wright does restrcit this )
    One thing about coldfoot, when you are waiting on weather you can wander around & fish grayling, or chase things with a bow & set up camp close to the strip. A little costly but all they all are now anyway, I would definitely use him again.

As mentioned by C04Hoosier, we used Wright and they were dead on with the times for departure and pick up. Since C04 was coming up from out of state it was really handy with the flight service being out of Fairbanks. They also have 3 helio's flying the range every day and 206's that can get into larger strips in the south range. The cost would be somewhere around 2K-2.5K per person depending on what drainage from what I understand. We took a gallon jug of white gas and for moose camp I can't see a reason to not use that type of stove.