Thread: Hunting the Haul in late OCT/NOV???

Default Hunting the Haul in late OCT/NOV???

I unfortunetly cannot make it up to the haul until late october early november, so i am wondering if anybody knows what or even if there is a restriction on using snow machines off the road to hunt? Also if there will still be any bou in the area??? Thanks for the help.

Yeah don't get caught using anything motorized in the 5 mile zone. If caught I should say when caught it will be a bad day for you. I have been up there early October it was cold but not to bad about -10 days. Plenty of bou on the road but with that plenty of other hunters as well. Best bet walk in the 5 miles shoot it with a rifle. Rule of thumb get about 6 miles off the road to be on the safe side.

Snowmachines are not allowed. I arrowed my first 'bou on the Haul Rd south of Coldfoot on Nov 1st or so (maybe the 2nd). They are caribou, the might be around, they might not. I wouldn't do that walk if you paid me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

How's the drive up there that time of year?

There will definitely be snow and ice on the roads. The sky could be clear, but also expect snowy conditions with limited visibility and wind.

Alright, this started with late october: How about early october, as that is when I can make it that direction and was thinking the same questions?
    Thanks guys.

I was up there November 1-7 last year and the caribou were on the shelf by the thousands. But, they could be anywhere I suppose.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Early October is rut. No way I'd hunt rutty caribou.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Early october you wont be able to eat your kill, therfore no point in trying! Late October is a very mixed bag and totally depends on weather. I have had very pleasant drives up and white out blizzard conditions. DO NOT do the drive with snow and no CB!!!!! DO NOT DO IT! The snow plows can't see for poo in good conditions and backing down atigun pass at 30 mph with a 10 foot wide snow blower in hot pursuit sucks! On the slope itself be prepaired for instant weather changes, I have hiked out in a tee shirt only to find my boots frozen to my socks the next morning when I put them on to step into -30 with 75 mph winds. October on the slope is an adventure everytime.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Good to know, guys. Thanks.

Thanks for the posts... I am trying to get a trip going too and so it will be "late" season. I would like to avoid the main rut season for sure.

Later part of October the days are getting pretty short also.

Anyone gone up in late Oct/early Nov? Looking to go then. Eager to hear what folks have to say who have been up there then. Thx!

im headin up about 18 oct let me know if this is the timeframe you are looking at,,

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    im headin up about 18 oct let me know if this is the timeframe you are looking at,,
    Hey sluice... thanks for the post. That seems like big time rut time?
    Probably a bit too soon for me to go with work and all.
    PM me with details / contact info.
    Cheers

Skrat, I answered your other post concerning this. Here it is.
    I hunt up there every year in the late October - mid-November time frame. Look at weather forecasts and be prepared for anything, there won't be many others up there to help you out. I've hunted as late as Thanksgiving and as early as first week of March. No problems with road itself, but expect trucks to kick up a huge snow cloud when they pass you. Slow down and pull off to the far right for them. Count on temps in the -35 to -40 range at some point from late October through March. The rut is over for the most part by mid-Oct but there will most likely be some cows that come into their second estus and some of the bulls will still be chasing them. Many of the bulls won't seem to care anymore, though.

Thanks again for the info. I am really looking forward to the trip. Hope all goes well so I can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    Skrat, I answered your other post concerning this. Here it is.
    I hunt up there every year in the late October - mid-November time frame. Look at weather forecasts and be prepared for anything, there won't be many others up there to help you out. I've hunted as late as Thanksgiving and as early as first week of March. No problems with road itself, but expect trucks to kick up a huge snow cloud when they pass you. Slow down and pull off to the far right for them. Count on temps in the -35 to -40 range at some point from late October through March. The rut is over for the most part by mid-Oct but there will most likely be some cows that come into their second estus and some of the bulls will still be chasing them. Many of the bulls won't seem to care anymore, though.