Thread: September Salmon/Trout guide recommendations

Cartersville, Ga (Temporarily Kenai, Alaska)

Default September Salmon/Trout guide recommendations

I'm a bit of an outsider here, but if possible, I'd like a bit of advice on squeezing into a last minute guide trip this coming month.

As you may have read in the introduction forums, I'm Dawson, just a wee young lad (18), from the foothills of Georgia. I'm currently living right in the middle of Kenai, and have been here since the middle of July (I'm up here in a sort of private apprenticeship). Not sure when I'm leaving, but it will likely be sometime between March and July of next year. Anyway, back home, I'm an avid freshwater fisherman (spend a lot of time with largemouth and spotted bass, as well as stripers), but do love Gulf Coast, and Atlantic Intracoastal fishing for redfish, seatrout, and a host of other varieties.

My current situation (living with the guy I'm apprenticing with), doesn't grant me very much access to a vehicle, so I'm not able to take much advantage of the fishing opportunities throughout the peninsula. Due to my hosts situation, I have been able to spend a little time in Seldovia, and was once taken halibut fishing in Katchemak Bay back in July.

If it isn't too late to book, I'd like to take a guided river trip sometime in September (8 hour day trip). Because I'm generally a catch and release guy (not that I'm a fish rights nut, I just fish for the fun of fishing, and filling the freezer comes second, plus many of the freshwater fish I catch aren't really worth eating), I don't particularly care whether I go after silvers or rainbows (or anything else, for that matter. However, I prefer a more hands on approach to fishing than say bottom fishing for halibut - artificial baits are good). I'd prefer a trip that runs a larger river (I'm more of a boat fisherman - don't really care to stand in the water I'm fishing in), and as I'm not a fly guy, it would need to be a spinning/casting tackle setup. If I had to choose, I'd rather a trip with numbers of decent fish as opposed to the chance at one or two trophy fish (and coming from the type of fishing I'm used to, decent fish in my book might be considered 'barely worth catching' to many of y'all).

Anyone have recommendations on where to go, what to fish for, and who to use? As I'm going to have to work out transportation, the closer to Kenai, the better, but a short travel is not out of the question. A google search shows all the advertised guides (Jimmy Jacks, King of the River, and so on), but real world recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

Dawson

I took a brief casting class from these guys. Fun guys and always do well on their Upper Kenai trips. I haven't taken a guide trip with them, but like I said...great guys who know what they're doing. Hope that helps.

http://www.alaskasanglingaddiction.com/
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

One of the most reputable guide services (and fly shops) in your area is Troutfitter's in Cooper Landing. Perhaps a float down the Upper Kenai in one of their drift boats would make a nice change of scenery for you. Fishing in Sept can be outstanding for rainbows and dollies on fly rods. Check out their website and give them a call.

http://aktroutfitters.com/

-Dan

Bassboy, have you made any decisions yet?
    I've fished a couple times with Troutfitters and always been pleased with what they offer.
    I am going to be in the area and am planning to fish with them Friday or Saturday, end of September. I think a full day fishing is $250 or $275. If you're interested in going along and need a ride, let me know, maybe I can pick you up.

Cartersville, Ga (Temporarily Kenai, Alaska)

I ended up fishing for silvers on the Kasilof with Tom Corr, and then for trout on the upper Kenai with Jefferson Simmons and his assistant, Marissa, all of whom I was very pleased with.

Rooster, thanks a bunch for the offer. Looks like ended up missing the proverbial boat on that one.