Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS forecast for the holiday weekend

Question PWS forecast for the holiday weekend

FRI...NE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .FRI NIGHT...E WIND 25 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SAT THROUGH MON...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.

We have been planning this trip for weeks now. Plan to head out of Whittier on Friday morning and return on Tuesday pm. The forecast for this time period seems to be going south real fast today. Pretty good winds and what is not mentioned is rain possible for most of the time.
    Passage canal forecast is reasonable for this time.
    Boat is hitched and packed. Hate to sit around here and brood about what to do, so I thought I would ask what you other guys are that are planning this same trip are thinking. Any opinions or ideas are welcome.
    And by the way, my wife and I are not just fair weather boaters, we have been doing this thing down there long enough to know that sideways rain and getting beat up in the wind every day of your trip is not as much fun as it used to be! If you were down there over Labor Day in 2008 you know what I am talking about.

Almar time?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Its always an alternative Mike, but we are really looking forward to getting the SeaSport out one more time before I winterize it. Thats pretty much when the Almar comes out from under the tarp. I can use it right into freeze up with no worries. There is a good chance you will see me before its over this fall. That trip up there in July reminded us again, just how much we love it up there. I have been fortunate to have been able to keep the old riverboat around.

Labor Day of 08 was a bit sporty to say the least! I, for one, learned a lot about big water that day. It sure would be nice to get out on the sound for one more extended weekend, but the boat sure does get small after a day or so of swinging on the hook with a 1st and 3rd grader watching the clouds fail. The extended forecast has been changing daily. It might shape up. We will be packed and ready to head to the boat if seas cooperate.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thats the best encouragement I've heard all day.

I imagine we will do the same. It would be very hard to head into winter without this one last adventure. Probably going to head into Whittier Friday morning and see whats happening at the time.

CAPE SUCKLING TO GORE POINT
    400 AM AKDT FRI SEP 2 2011
    ...STORM WARNING TODAY...
    .TODAY...E WIND 50 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 15 FT BY AFTERNOON. RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...SE WIND 35 KT. SEAS 16 FT. RAIN.
    .SAT...SE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 15 FT. RAIN.
    .SAT NIGHT...E WIND 25 KT. SEAS 11 FT.
    .SUN...SE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 8 FT.
    .MON...E WIND 45 KT. SEAS 19 FT.
    .TUE...SE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 18 FT.
    this is pussey shiite. i'm still fishing montague

And you will be all alone. Have fun with that.

PKZ125-030300-
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
    400 AM AKDT FRI SEP 2 2011

...GALE WARNING TODAY...

.TODAY...E WIND 35 KT. SEAS 4 FT BUILDING TO 7 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.
    RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...E WIND 30 KT DIMINISHING TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    6 FT SUBSIDING TO 4 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN.
    .SAT...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .SAT NIGHT...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SUN AND MON...E WIND 25 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .TUE...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT

Default feel your pain

Our plan is it head down to Whittier Saturday morning. Looks like itís going to lay down Saturday but kick back up Sunday through Monday. Passage canal looks fine for the duration so perhaps the worst of it will be out beyond Culross and Perry. We are hoping the bays off Wells Passage and perhaps Port wells will remain doable. Like you we really want to get another weekend in or 2 before winter. Iíve taken off next Friday in hopes the weather will corporate for a final Shrimp harvest to top off the freezer.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

You can always anchor up in the harbor and pretend.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah, Labor Day 2008 was doozy alright, 70 miles from home, stuck in a bay waiting for the weather to turn, being buzzed by the Coast Guard, sons first black, coming home in 5-8 ftrs with the occasional 10ft'r thrown in there. Really tested my boating skills that weekend.

My boat is ready to go....just waiting for the weather to improve. Doesn't look like we'll have a chance to make the run to Montague, the forecast is nasty.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

wow its not getting any better...

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY SUNDAY NIGHT....TONIGHT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT. RAIN..SUN...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT. RAIN..SUN NIGHT...E WIND 20 KT INCREASING TO 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS5 FT. RAIN..MON...E WIND 30 KT. SEAS 6 FT..MON NIGHT...NE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 6 FT..TUE...E WIND 30 KT. SEAS 7 FT..WED...SE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT..THU...SE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

Did you see the Cook Inlet forecast... Monday is calling for 50 knt's and 15 ft seas, biggest forecast I have ever seen for that area.

Did anyone manage to go out and how was it?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Did anyone manage to go out and how was it?
    Nope, but I could not stay away from the sccchwweeet town of Whittier. I needed a couple of things from the boat, so I stopped by today. It was a bit wet, but not bad and the wind wasn't blowing too bad. I suspect that the weather was south of Naked Island. If it were June, we would have spent the weekend anchored up and playing games or watching movies.

I cannot remember the last holiday weekend that I have spent at home. Not all was lost, though. We spent the evening with our neighbors. We spend most weekends rafted up with them anyways. Man, we had a lot of room tonight!

Hope someone posts some stories of their long weekend out in PWS. Way nastier than my cutoff. This Sunday-Monday forecast could stop the AK ferry run.

PKZ125-050300-
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
    400 AM AKDT SUN SEP 4 2011

...GALE WARNING TONIGHT AND MONDAY...
    .TODAY...E WIND 25 KT BECOMING 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 FT.
    RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...SE WIND 25 KT INCREASING TO 35 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    4 FT BUILDING TO 7 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN.
    .MON...E WIND 45 KT. SEAS 10 FT. RAIN.
    .MON NIGHT...E WIND 40 KT. SEAS 9 FT.
    .TUE...SE WIND 35 KT. SEAS 7 FT.
    .WED...SE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .THU...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

Just got back. Ran down Culross and stayed over in McClure Bay last night. This morning was very rough getting back into south Culross and it was no fun getting out of the north end of Culross and back to Passage canal. Solid 4 and 5 foot seas and building.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Our plan is it head down to Whittier Saturday morning. Looks like itís going to lay down Saturday but kick back up Sunday through Monday. Passage canal looks fine for the duration so perhaps the worst of it will be out beyond Culross and Perry. We are hoping the bays off Wells Passage and perhaps Port wells will remain doable. Like you we really want to get another weekend in or 2 before winter. Iíve taken off next Friday in hopes the weather will corporate for a final Shrimp harvest to top off the freezer.
    Yea, we never made it down. Stayed home and changed oil on all my rigs, wife did some cleaning. Hoping next weekend will be more hospitable. MB lows cropping up everywhere!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Nope, but I could not stay away from the sccchwweeet town of Whittier. I needed a couple of things from the boat, so I stopped by today. It was a bit wet, but not bad and the wind wasn't blowing too bad. I suspect that the weather was south of Naked Island. If it were June, we would have spent the weekend anchored up and playing games or watching movies.

I cannot remember the last holiday weekend that I have spent at home. Not all was lost, though. We spent the evening with our neighbors. We spend most weekends rafted up with them anyways. Man, we had a lot of room tonight!
    Put some buoys between your trucks and raft up in the driveway??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Put some buoys between your trucks and raft up in the driveway??
    Ha! That is funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Ha! That is funny! Thanks for the laugh.
    Bait the pots with some bread set then out across the lawn and see what goes in??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Anybody recall seeing a huricance force wind forecast for Cape Suckling to Gore Pt? I'd be interested hearing how the cruise ship that left Seward last night beat it to SE.

PKZ120-060300-
    CAPE SUCKLING TO GORE POINT
    400 AM AKDT MON SEP 5 2011

HURRICANE FORCE WIND WARNING THROUGH TONIGHT

TODAY
    E WIND 45 KT INCREASING TO 65 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS
    15 FT BUILDING TO 22 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. RAIN.

TONIGHT
    E WIND 60 KT DIMINISHING TO 40 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. NEAR
    THE COAST E OF MONTAGUE ISLAND...E WIND 65 KT DIMINISHING TO 55 KT
    AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 28 FT. RAIN.

I know of someone who left out of Whittier and now find themselves having to wait out the weather before they can make it back in. With the weather having been forecast several days ago as being bad this weekend, I am surprised they could be caught offguard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast