Thread: Homer Silvers?

Default Homer Silvers?

Flew in last Sunday and re-launched my boat in hopes of hitting the ocean silver run. Spent a day @ silver ridge & the fingers to catch only a few silvers & a couple butts on downriggers. Not many charter boats out that far (4-5). Spent the last two days around whales tale & the bluffs w/only a few silvers & an occasional king to show for it. Other guys wasted time @ Pogy w/1 silver out of four fisherman. Charter boys seem to be targeting kings which isn't what I'm after. Either I've missed the ocean run for two years in succession or I'm a really bad fisherman but I assure you that's not the case. Reliable info as to congregating ocean silvers is truly appreciated. Flying back on Sunday so I'm short on time. Thanks, Keith K

cook inlet silvers are slow this year, from commercial fishing to sport fishing. I hear they are doing ok on the kenai, but thats the only good report I have heard
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lyf View Post
    Flew in last Sunday and re-launched my boat in hopes of hitting the ocean silver run. Spent a day @ silver ridge & the fingers to catch only a few silvers & a couple butts on downriggers. Not many charter boats out that far (4-5). Spent the last two days around whales tale & the bluffs w/only a few silvers & an occasional king to show for it. Other guys wasted time @ Pogy w/1 silver out of four fisherman. Charter boys seem to be targeting kings which isn't what I'm after. Either I've missed the ocean run for two years in succession or I'm a really bad fisherman but I assure you that's not the case. Reliable info as to congregating ocean silvers is truly appreciated. Flying back on Sunday so I'm short on time. Thanks, Keith K
    I'm just curious why you aren't interested in kings. In my opinion they are better tasting fish and often times bigger than any silver you're going to catch out there. Don't get me wrong. My "nickname" is "cohodave" because I love silvers, but I'd rather catch three 15 to 20 lb. kings than two 10 to 15 lb. silvers.

BTW---If I wanted to target silvers I'd spend my time concentrating on the Pogi area instead of the Bluffs. It seems to get better silver action. Don't limit yourself to just "the point" area. Look for bait balls on the surface and work them for all you've got.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'm just curious why you aren't interested in kings. In my opinion they are better tasting fish and often times bigger than any silver you're going to catch out there. Don't get me wrong. My "nickname" is "cohodave" because I love silvers, but I'd rather catch three 15 to 20 lb. kings than two 10 to 15 lb. silvers.

BTW---If I wanted to target silvers I'd spend my time concentrating on the Pogi area instead of the Bluffs. It seems to get better silver action. Don't limit yourself to just "the point" area. Look for bait balls on the surface and work them for all you've got.
    Theres my bro! Dude are we still on for the derby this year?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

gr8lyf, If you want silvers you should get all you want if you head down by flat and work in off the village. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. I do enjoy catching & eating kings' but I'm 1 fish away from my 5 annual limit. Really came up this trip for the silvers knowing I'd get a king or two along the way. I'll try around Flat Island today. Heard from Bob Ward (AWARD CHARTERS) that he saw some jumpers around there three days ago. I'll post how I do tonight. Thanks again guys. Keith K AKA gr8lyf.

Charterboat Operator

should have been there yesterday
    last Sunday silvers were pretty HOT just inside the ridge about 2 miles, "work the rip!"

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Theres my bro! Dude are we still on for the derby this year?
    Which Derby? I've got people interested in both dates at this point in time, but I'll see what I can do.

Keith-
    I heard from a couple of people in the last 2 days that's there's a solid bite for silvers at the head of KBay, Chugachik Island area...jim

Finally got into them yesterday. Limited on both silvers & kings. Fast & furious bite @ head of K-Bay. Shearwaters & jumpers gave it away. When the weather broke (10:00 AM) the bite was on. One silver was 12+ lbs & my two kings' were probably 20+ lbs each. Should be a great memorial day weekend for those fortunate enough to get out on the big water. Thanks for the updates guys. Keith K - AKA - gr8lyf.

Its labor day, not memorial day this weekend.

One thing that's very important to remember is just because it's hot one day doesn't mean it will be the next. Those salmon are feeding on bait and if there's a lot of bait in a particular spot one day it's likely you'll find a lot of salmon feeding on them. If that bait decides to move the fish aren't going to hang around hoping the bait decides to come back. Cliffhanger and I spent a few hours at the head of the bay just a few days ago and it was pretty sparse. Lots of boats and very few nets flying. And the nets we did see hit the water brought in what appeared to be maybe 5 to 7 pounders.