Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merino Wool Base Layer Tops

Default Merino Wool Base Layer Tops

I just switched to thin merino wool base layers this year and haven't looked back. I have a Patagonia and Smartwool one, both bought on sale. They have the 1/4 zip, which is nice when it gets hot.

I just got the Ibex Indie Hoodie in the mail and it is very nice. The added hood is great. Here is the link as they are on sale for $70 from $100.

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Base/M-Hooded-Indie

They are comfortable, dry fast from my experiences this summer, and DON'T SMELL like nylon/poly shirts. 14 days in the Brooks Range in my Patagonia top and I had typical BO, but my shirt didn't stink!

I am also a new fan of the merino wool products. Also, check out steepandcheap.com. They too will also have some really awesome deals on these products.

I recently got some Minus 33 merino gear (boxers and a t-shirt) from Barney's and was very pleased with their prices compared to much of the other merino stuff out there. Any merino gear is worth the purchase price, but I was certainly happy to pay significantly less than other brands and to support Barney's at the same time. I'll be back soon for a long sleeve shirt.

cabela's has merino wool at a good price, i also have an ibex merino hat, super thin but just as warm as my fleece hats and fits in my pocket...merino is the only way to go. and like posted above...IT DON"T STINK!! its weird but you'll smell worse than your shirt...poly and the rest of the synthetic stuff is nasty after just a couple days...merino is amazing.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Www.Sierratradingpost.com

Hard to beat their prices!

That IBEX hoodie looks great. FYI, LL Bean has a pure merino wool hoodie too, but it looks more like a sweater than a baselayer. I have Icebreaker and MEC merino wool. I prefer it to Capilene. This year I would like to try Woolpower (formerly Ulfrotte of Sweden). I thinks it's about a 70%wool/30%poly mix. It has a terry cloth look to it.

i'd skip the mix if it was me...
    Master guide 212

For socks 85% merino seems adequate while still having enough elastic to keep good shape for multiple days. I use browning since they can be had for about $10/pair. For base layers I prefer 100% merino.

ya i guess my socks are a merino mix...the rest of my under layers are not though.
    Master guide 212

Yet another convert to Merino Wool base layers here. I bought SmartWool items off of Steepandcheap and love them. They are comfortable, light, warm, don't stink, don't itch.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I recently got some Minus 33 merino gear (boxers and a t-shirt) from Barney's and was very pleased with their prices compared to much of the other merino stuff out there. Any merino gear is worth the purchase price, but I was certainly happy to pay significantly less than other brands and to support Barney's at the same time. I'll be back soon for a long sleeve shirt.
    I'll 2nd the minus 33 stuff from Barneys. Good stuff
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

+3 on Minus 33 that Brian mentioned.
    Barney's carries a lot of quality in their gear stock, but this zip-T I've used for 2 seasons is comforatable, durable and the best merino value I've found.

Default 3 bears

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For socks 85% merino seems adequate while still having enough elastic to keep good shape for multiple days. I use browning since they can be had for about $10/pair. For base layers I prefer 100% merino.
    3 bears has a nice three pack set for ladies (I bought four packs, for the lady of this house) made by Browning, pure merino wool, and stylish patterns; one is pink camo; I forget the other two color/styles and can't go check, they've got wrapping paper on them right now. The 3 pair of socks (I think) ran about 18 bucks.

camofire.com sometimes has Core4Element 100% merino, I am happy with mine. It is a nice light baselayer.

I've been looking at this stuff for awhile.

http://www.firstlite.com/
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I've been looking at this stuff for awhile.

http://www.firstlite.com/
    I saw this at Sportsman's Warehouse for the first time today, pretty good selection and looks pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I saw this at Sportsman's Warehouse for the first time today, pretty good selection and looks pretty interesting.
    SW is carrying First Lite??
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    SW is carrying First Lite??
    Yes and it looks sweet too. I would have bought the quarter zip had I not just orderd the kuiu

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I lived in my Firstlite this summer while gillnetting down here and swear by it. I would wear tops bottoms and boxers for 4 or 5 days in a row and it was amazing how little it stunk. Also took it to the BRooks on a sheep hunt and it was well worth the price. THey have a pretty nice brimmed beanie as well.

I got the First Lite Allegheny under pants yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse. I really like the athletic cut and waistband. I'm very curious about the Kanab outer pant, but I already ordered some Sporthill's...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast