Thread: hats off the AKF&G for the Interior Alaska Moose news

Default hats off the AKF&G for the Interior Alaska Moose news

great moose hunting info here

this very nice new publication produced by fish and game, which contains some excellent inforamtion about Moose hunting that i wanted to post so that it may help others going out for moose in the next few days

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp..._fall_2011.pdf

good luck moose hunters
    edit signature here

Good info Hooter. Thanks for sharing..

I received that publication in the mail. It was very informative. I guess if you hunted in unit 20 last year, you got one in the mail. I hope they do another aerial study of that area this decade.

thanks man, answers a lot of questions i had. lots of good info

a part about bear and wolf worms was new to me ( so 80-20 doo doo worm, ehh? ), also catagorizing browse in order.

this is the best adfg brochure/effort i have seen to date. sure explains alot. cow/calf hunts......its very cool

and the timing, and yes mass mailing....TIP MY HAT TO INTERIOR ADFG BOYS. they have out done themselves w/this one, imo-
    edit signature here

Thanks for posting this up, agree this is one of the best put out by ADFG, maybe mods could sticky the pdf file somewhere.

Good info, but slightly misleading concerning the Scandinava Alaska comparison, the article states 11 moose per thousand in AK and 9 moose per thousand in Scandinavia taken.

Intially this appears like we Alaskans do really well compared to the Scandinavians, however our overall human population is low compared to the size of the state, and not everyone hunts.

So another way to look at it, using their statistics is .4 moose per hunter in Scandinavia and .32 moose per hunter in AK. It seems like a more realistic way to look at the stats.......IMO......

Still, I enjoyed the article and it answered some questions that I have wondered about and sounds like F&G is doing their best to mantain healty populations.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Indeed, what a great pile of straightforward information. Well done to the authors and the department.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Indeed, what a great pile of straightforward information. Well done to the authors and the department.
    Interestingly enough it is the Same information that has been presented to several Boards ofGame, multiple A/C's and the public on many occasions. Too bad there are never enough people there to hear it, except those that want to Posh/Posh at it.

David has been trying to get this message out for a long time, though i applaud the effort; it is also too bad, they had to go through the expense of producing the literature. Stringent opponents to IM and Antlerless hunts will continue to have deaf ears i am afraid.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Keeping my mouth shut guys, lol

This publication is timely and over due. It should be sticky'ed somewhere on this site so all may easily access this important information. The ADF&G does an excellent job of posting their scientific research. Posting it in multiple locations and in THIS way helps to synopsis many elements of info that are related.

If one thinks the money would be better spent doing research or projects, I must disagree. What could be more important than sharing the information and the truth of the situation to those not able to dig it up. This publication should be posted everywhere. It is part of the ongoing effort to understand "abundance management".

Prescribed fire will continue to be problematic. Fire management on burns in remote areas started by lightning will continue to be the mainstay of creating and maintaining vegetative habitat diversity. In areas like the Mat-Su where there continues to be a race to fragment state lands by multiple uses such as land disposals, ag areas etc. it will become increasingly problematic to allow wildfire escapement and the implementation of prescribed fire on a large scale. Maybe it would be wise to implement prescribed fire on a very controlled smaller scale. Fire has distinct advantages within the boreal forest.

Nothing was mentioned about the very successful work and efforts in forest management as implemented in the Tanana State Forest Management Plan. Timber sales, properly implemented and of sufficient size to escape total browsing, are a viable habitat regeneration tool. Improperly applied or done in a very limited fashion provides for little forest regeneration to an earlier seral stage of forest development or destruction of regeneration by too little habitat being regenerated given the number of moose within the area. Many moose are produced in the habitat that is regenerated due to a properly implemented forestry program, Sweden is able to do it and yes the conditions are different.

There is a big difference between natural systems and man made management but they can coexist in certain areas. In a state that is vastly more "wilderness area" than "timber sale area" it is preposterous to cry "tree farm", everytime more harvesting is proposed. You don't have to own or charter an airplane to access these very diverse forested areas.

The Mat-Su has lots more people than most areas of GMU 20A, B, C & D. "Letting burn" is not the option we have that interior Alaska enjoys as appropriate. Until forest management changes and becomes more biological forestry in the Mat-Su, we will continue to have lower moose populations (GMU 16) and hammered habitats (GMU 14A).

In all, I'm very pleased to see the publication efforts by ADF&G. Kudos.

Default truly great brochure/handout

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fishhunt View Post
    I received that publication in the mail. It was very informative. I guess if you hunted in unit 20 last year, you got one in the mail. I hope they do another aerial study of that area this decade.
    Hat's off to the department; you guys outdid yourselves.

But it isn't true that it was mailed to every hunter with a GMU 20 permit last year, because I didn't get one in the mail. And I get every darn proposed change, in the mail from them, I think, seems like one every week or two.

Thanks, Hooter, for highlighting and providing easy access to the article. Hats off to F&G (great info that I could even read and understand).

Default It really WAS mailed to GMU 20 hunters!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    But it isn't true that it was mailed to every hunter with a GMU 20 permit last year, because I didn't get one in the mail. And I get every darn proposed change, in the mail from them, I think, seems like one every week or two.
    I was wrong, I DID get one in the mail. I got it later than you guys did because they mailed it to the address I had, two GMU 20 draw permits ago. They must have individual databases at F&G and just snail-mailed it out to the addresses listed in a two year old database, instead of sending it to the (new) address that they have mailed me at (almost weekly it seems) very regularly.

I suspect I get a snail mail copy of every F&G change under review because I have written and submitted proposals to the BOG and BOF in the past, but don't really know for sure. Anyone in the know want to clue me on on this?

The original publication that I received in the mail, I gave to a friend of mine to read. After reading, he thought it was fabulous. I downloaded the PDF file from F&G's website and have since printed off several copies for others to read. Also, there are Moose Management Reports on the F&G website that can be downloaded as well. These were done in 2005-2007. They are very informative and have similar information in them that this publication they just sent out has. I went on their website and tried to find the link again and was not able. They cover all the game management areas. If anyone wants a copy, pm me and I will send you the PDF file.

I just found the link. Here are the Moose Management Reports: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...lifemanagement

Quote Originally Posted by hooternanny View Post
    great moose hunting info here

this very nice new publication produced by fish and game, which contains some excellent inforamtion about Moose hunting that i wanted to post so that it may help others going out for moose in the next few days

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp..._fall_2011.pdf

good luck moose hunters
    Your post is a really nice reminder that there are useful informational resources out there for hunters (as well as getting out and looking)...other than the emerging trend to get on a hunting blog and ask people where to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fishhunt View Post
    I'm pretty sure they do aerail surveys every year in Oct/Nov.