Thread: snow machine cover and ramp??

Default snow machine cover and ramp??

Hey guys,

Total noob with snow machines. My neighbor graciously allowed me the use of his snow machine this winter. As far as I can tell it's a 2003 polaris 550 RMK 136" track. I don't know much about them but looking forward to learning. Mostly going to use it for trails, small game and predators this winter.

two questions. Can anyone recommend a waterproof cover for outdoor storage?? Also, is it necessary to purchase ramps to get it into the truck bed or can it be done with two people lifting it into the back of the bed??

Thanks again!

Check out the Ski-doo covers, much better than the old Polaris canvas ones. Or, get a generic one from Cabelas, Fred Meyers, or Wal-Mart. They also do a pretty good job of shedding the weather.
    Often people without trailers load their sleds into the pickup bed via a ramp or snowbank in the parking lot.
    BK

You can pick up a generic cover for about $50-$60 at WMart.

A ramp makes loading/unloading easier but two men can horse a machine into the back of a pickup.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks for the input guys,

I picked up a set of ramps and an old truck bed liner for the skis. It's a trifold atv ramp, but I think I can screw strips of the bed liner on there to help with the skis for loading.

I have short bed f150. I think the sled will hang off the back of the tail gate by about 18". Is it okay to just strap it down that way, or is that too much weight for the tail gate to handle? The other thing I was thinking of doing was taking two more strips and screwing them onto a piece of ply wood and placing it the full length of the bed and tail gate to maybe support the weight better.

Has anyone done this before?? Any other thoughts??

I'll look into the covers from walmart....

I have a 6' bed in my truck and my machine is just shy of 10' long so with the tailgate down it hangs out the back a bit. I load it using a trifold ramp faced with strips of UHMW (your salvaged bed liner is perfect for this). I secure my machine with a 1.5" HD ratchet strap. Never had a problem.

The balance point of most snowmachines is just behind the drivers, right about the foot wells. You will have relatively little weight on the tailgate, even on a shortbed.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Just remember that machine weighs around 425 pounds, so it will be challenging to pick up the front end when on a snow and ice-covered trailhead or parking lot. Realtively easy to do now with solid footing, but spring for the ramp or even a $500 tilt trailer at Fred's to make it easy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Wet weight of a edge will be much more then 400lbs fyi. Ramps would be much more practicle, and im sure after a long day of riding your both gonna enjoy lifting that sled up
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Ramps baby ramps!!! So much easier but do you have reverse on that machine? Wal-mart covers work well for @ 60 bucks. Have had mine for over 3 years and it is still in great shape. Just tape it for length before you go buy one. They come in 3 differant sizes
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Sweet, thanks for all the input guys,

Erik, do you put anything in the bed of your truck for the skiis? Or do you already have a liner in it? My bed's not lined, I might just pick up another old truck bed liner and just use the bottom part of the bed liner.

Another dumb question. Unloading it out the back...do you just tie a tow strap to the back hitch and pull it down the ramp?? No reverse on this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    Another dumb question. Unloading it out the back...do you just tie a tow strap to the back hitch and pull it down the ramp?? No reverse on this machine.
    Just drag it out. Pull until it tips back and the rear of the track is on the ground. Then pull it a bit more until the skis are just about to fall off the edge of the tail gate. Then give it a good yank and let the front just fall to the ground. It won't hurt it. Just make sure you take off the parking brake before starting - makes it a lot easier!

Sweet, thanks for all the input guys,

Erik, do you put anything in the bed of your truck for the skiis? Or do you already have a liner in it? My bed's not lined, I might just pick up another old truck bed liner and just use the bottom part of the bed liner.
    A sheet of old plywood works great for this

My machine is reverseless as well. After unlocking the brake I grab the track and pull, slowly tractoring the sled rearward. Once it gets near the tipping point I set up the ramp and pull the machine down the ramp. From there I lift the rear end and the skis slide down the ramp.

For loading you're just going to learn the feel of it. You can't crawl up the ramp otherwise you'll get stuck. You have to hit the ramp at about 15-16 mph which will give you enough momentum to carry past the tipping point but not so much that you smash into the front of your truck box.