Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tikka questions and help

Default Tikka questions and help

I'm sold on getting a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 30.06, now... I here there were a bad batch of barrels awhile back and there were Sako made and now Beretta made. So, what do I need to look out for and which make is better? How do you tell?
    So, if you could school this guy on what to look out for I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

I haven't heard any bad about the tikka. I am pretty sure beretta owns sako and tikka so not sure there is any difference there. My T-3 in 270wsm shoots great and is darn ight for the money.

Thanks... the internet can be a dangerous place . So even if Beretta owns them, Sako is still manufacturing them?

Mountaintrekker

Doing some research over on accurate reloading and glocktalk it looks like there was a bad batch of stainless back in 2004 but I can't find anything regarding problems with problems after that. I did find this which was dated December 2004:
    "Only affects SS barreled Sako/Tikka rifles from about February 2004 on up, serial numbers 419140 to 461951. Contact Beretta USA @ 800 636 3420 for verification if your rifle is affected.

I have about 100 rounds through my 270WSM with no complaints.

I have no info about your question, but my tikka t 3 light in 7mm will put a five round group touching each other. If I do my part.

I love my Tikka! Best rifle out of the box that I have ever had!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Doing some research over on accurate reloading and glocktalk it looks like there was a bad batch of stainless back in 2004 but I can't find anything regarding problems with problems after that. I did find this which was dated December 2004:
    "Only affects SS barreled Sako/Tikka rifles from about February 2004 on up, serial numbers 419140 to 461951. Contact Beretta USA @ 800 636 3420 for verification if your rifle is affected.

I have about 100 rounds through my 270WSM with no complaints.
    The new phone number is 1-800-237-3882
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

The only thing bad I have ever heard about was the T3 in 338wm blowing appart. Of cours that was a few years ago nd only in the 338wm. I do remember a post about a year ago about a stainless barrel rusting though I can't remember if it was a Tikka or a Sako too. But I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy a T3 in 30-06, 300wsm, 270, 280, 7mm mag or any other caliber except 338wm.

Enjoy your new rifle!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

sorry to toss water on the Tikka love fest, but having personally seen a blown Tikka with factory ammo, I wouldnt buy one.

In the sub $1000 price rifles my choices would be Winchester, Ruger or remington. $1000-$2000 is Sako, Browning. Over $2000, or if you just want the best overall ratings, Blaser, Sauer, Sako, Browning, Winchester, Ruger, remington or forget it.

The Sako rifles were affected by the same batch of bad steel that hit the Tikka's so I would have a hard time considering one and not the other.

Wild, fairly general statement, can you provide further details?
    caliber, age of rifle.........

I have 270 Tikka that shoots very well, to add to the "love fest"..................

Does WW sell Tikka?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    sorry to toss water on the Tikka love fest, but having personally seen a blown Tikka with factory ammo, I wouldnt buy one.

In the sub $1000 price rifles my choices would be Winchester, Ruger or remington. $1000-$2000 is Sako, Browning. Over $2000, or if you just want the best overall ratings, Blaser, Sauer, Sako, Browning, Winchester, Ruger, remington or forget it.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Wild, fairly general statement, can you provide further details?
    caliber, age of rifle
    Brand new 30-06 with the bolt blown out of the receiver on a factory round. Tikkas handle gas poorly.

Does WW sell Tikka?
    Not any more. We do sell Sakos now that the steel problem is resolved.

Thanks,
    Do you suppose this is a isolated incident? There are a lot of Tikkas in use and I have not heard of this before, and I am not familar with how a bolt action handles gas..........? & not trying to be contrary, just trying to understand, the problem.
    I suspect you are referring to the locking lug/s on the bolt? Are they that diffrent than others?

Brand new 30-06 with the bolt blown out of the receiver on a factory round. Tikkas handle gas poorly.

Not any more. We do sell Sakos now that the steel problem is resolved.
    TR

The amount of plastic in the bolt, inlcuding the shroud. YMMV, I wouldnt shoot one, especially with a handload.

I do plan on upgrading my bolt shroud to the Hinterlands metal version. I believe one of the Sako shrouds snaps on to them as well (Is it the A7?) but am not positive. If anyone is interested in putting together a group purchase on the Hinterlands shroud to save on shipping I would be interested in getting at least one.

Any photos of this failure you could share?

The amount of plastic in the bolt, inlcuding the shroud. YMMV, I wouldnt shoot one, especially with a handload.
    TR

Nope. Im sure my word is enough

As is mine..............!

I wasnt doubting your word.........jeez, where does that come from, would you say that to me if I was standing at your counter?

.....I have one of these rifles, if there are some issues I would like to know more about the problem and if its correctable.
    As stated before I was hoping to learn something, what we have is a opinion with no backup other than your word............!

What is it with people on here that get defensive when you ask for more detailed info, now I would question your credibilty.

Are you telling us you have seen with your own eyes a rifle WW sold new that was blown up and you didnt bother to take pictures..............? I find that hard to believe.......!

Nope. Im sure my word is enough
    TR

Was the shooter injured?

Are you telling us you have seen with your own eyes a rifle WW sold new that was blown up and you didnt bother to take pictures..............? I find that hard to believe.......!
    Not just my eyes, Hans, the Kid and all others that were here.
    And we didnt sell him the rifle. Sportsmans did. All we did was send the rifle back to Beretta, and the remaining box of ammunition to the manufacturer (which brand I cant recall). Beretta and the ammo folks split the cost of a new rifle for the fellow. He immediately sold it.

So think what you would like.

Was the shooter injured?
    he had Cuts IIRC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast