Thread: New boat launch on the Kasilof

Default New boat launch on the Kasilof

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    August 31, 2011

Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation
    Monica Alvarez, (907)269-8145, monica.alvarez@alaska.gov

Alaska State Parks begins planning for lower Kasilof River boat retrieval project

(Kasilof, AK) - The Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation (DPOR), has received project money to develop a public drift boat takeout on the lower Kasilof River to address increasing demand for such a facility on the popular drift-only fishing portion of the river. Currently, most boaters access the Kasilof at the Alaska State Parks public boat launch at mile 109.4 of the Sterling Highway; however, there is no publicly-owned exit point for boaters on the lower portion of the river.
    In the first phase of this project, DPOR is distributing a short questionnaire to gain public input on where a retrieval site should be located, what criteria should be used to evaluate potential locations, and what type of facilities should be constructed. The questionnaire and additional project information is available at: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/ka...tretrieval.htm
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Question What "public" . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    . . to develop a public drift boat takeout on the lower Kasilof River to address increasing demand for such a facility on the popular drift-only fishing portion of the river. . .
    The department's press release begs a question: Increased demand by whom?

If the department intends to "develop a public drift boat takeout" on the Kasilof, what "public" demographic will be served? How many of the drift boats on the Kasilof belong to private angers and how many drift boats on the Kasilof belong to guides? I don't know . . anybody?

If the proposed take-out will serve the Alaskan resident "public," then it's a good thing.

But if the proposed take-out is simply an accommodation of the commercial guide industry, then the money is poorly spent. All it will accomplish is further crowding on the Kasilof and further degradation of the angling experience there. The department would be better advised to use the money to build more campgrounds for Alaskan's summer use.

Lots of locals own and use driftboats on the Kasilof.
    I am one of them.
    I do feel this pull out is needed.
    It will probably pay for itself with user fees in a relatively short period.
    Trujillios used to do over 300 boats a day during the peak of king season. At $10 a pop that adds up pretty fast.
    As my dad says the biggest threat to the Kasilof is the Kenai. Everytime they close or restrict the Kenai the Kasilof takes a bigger hit.
    Another pullout on the Kasilof may take some more pressure off the Kenai.
    Both rivers seem overpressured these days during peak seasons.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

From my observation of people drifting past me at the People's Hole at all hours of the day, it seems to be about equal. It would be nice if they'd make that little river with those littler fish just for unguided fishermen because you are right, KC, that little river is sacrificial when the big one gets restricted.

I was actually planning to buy a drift boat this year until I looked into Kasilof takeouts and decided it wasn't worth messing with. I will DEFINATELY be buying one next year if this is really going in.

A state launch for takeout is definitely needed on the Kasilof River. Great news!

The answer to Marcus' questions is: it depends. Some timeframes, mostly guides, others 50-50. Something is needed ... but so is some sort of curtailment on the guide industry there. The 2002 Kenai closure was the beginning of the end ... and I'm afraid we're closer to it than ADF&G would care to admit.