Thread: Black bears north of Fairbanks?

Question Black bears north of Fairbanks?

I was wondering if anyone knew how far north the black bear range goes? If you were headed up the haul road from Fairbanks would it be possible to find huntable numbers of black bears or is that too far north?

Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew how far north the black bear range goes? If you were headed up the haul road from Fairbanks would it be possible to find huntable numbers of black bears or is that too far north?

Thanks,
    Greg
    There are plenty of bears north of Fairbanks. Black bear range extends well into the Brooks Range.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have seen them as far north as Cold Foot. By the looks of the terrain north of Cold Foot, I would imagine they would range all the way to at least the Brooks.

We've killed black bears in the southern slopes of the Brooks west of the highway. I guess they'll as high as the tree-line.

Thanks guys that's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just have to figure out where to start looking.

Thanks Again,
    Greg

Just returned from up there. About 5 miles south of coldfoot sunday afternoon on the west side of the road in an open area with lots of blue berries stood the biggest black bear I've laid eyes on. About 3/4 mile off the road. Had we not been in such a hurry we would have tried to add him to the sheep in the back of the truck but no such luck. Ive seen them as far north as Mt Snowden.

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    Now I just have to figure out where to start looking.
    What do bears eat in September?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.