Thread: Black Bear in Garage, part 2.

Default Black Bear in Garage, part 2.

Quickly reviewing, our East Anchorage neighborhood has had a problem black bear that has not seemed to go away. It's been here since about the first week of July. In my earlier post, http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/......?highlight= my three main points were:

A) This bear has become WAY too accustomed to human activity and human settings.
    B) This bear has COMPLETELY lost its fear of humans.
    C) Although this bear hasn't shown outright aggression, it is definitely on it's way to causing worse trouble.

The troopers and APD's response was essentially "Well, call us when something terrible happens. Have a nice day."

Many on this forum's response was essentially "Quit freaking out, you're overreacting, cool your trigger finger down cowboy."

A woman was attacked last night in the park at the end of our street by a black bear, I assume the same one. I take no pleasure in saying 'I told you so' but please take garbage bears seriously, especially when they show that they've lost their fear. (btw, the neighborhood has had all their trash, etc.. locked up tight with the bear around so please don't try to tell me that we caused the problem or could have prevented it)

I despise it when the authorities say they wont do anything until something really bad happens; it disappoints me that so many of you took the same stance. Someone got chewed on, maybe someone will do something about it now. Great. Reminds me of how they install security cameras AFTER stuff gets stolen.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I'm only pissed off because it was so plain to see that bear was on the path to causing serious trouble and someone could have taken care of this really easily.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

May have had the same BooBoo in my backyard a couple times recently. Muldoon curve area? I offered to let the officers borrow a rifle one evening when he was in the yard, I got essentially the same response you were given. Shame it's come to this.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    A woman was attacked last night in the park at the end of our street by a black bea
    how come this isnt on the news or adn? are you sure the bear didnt just give her the evil eye. where are you getting your facts. post up a link.
    Semper Fi!

I searched ADN, too. Mostly it's my neighbors telling me someone got attacked. We got the big orange signs up saying someone was attacked on this date, some BS pointers on wearing bear bells, and a few Muni and Fish and Wildlife phone numbers to call. Bottom line, it is being aggressive now, apparently.

highestveiw. i agree with you to a point but... there not just one bear.. i live on muldoon curve... so do we shoot every bear who comes walking down the street because your negibor is a cheap a.. and won't pay to get his trash picked up every week so it builds up.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    highestveiw. i agree with you to a point but... there not just one bear.. i live on muldoon curve... so do we shoot every bear who comes walking down the street because your negibor is a cheap a.. and won't pay to get his trash picked up every week so it builds up.
    I dunno.... yes?

There are places in this state where a bear walking down the street wouldn't last five minutes before ending up on the butcher table. Sometimes the restrictions we place on ourselves for simply living in an urban area are, well, just ridiculous.

I am re-reading Sun Tzu's "The Art of War", and ran across this passage last night that might apply here: "He who relies solely on warlike measures shall be exterminated; he who relies solely on peaceful measures shall perish." Maybe we've dug a hole for ourselves here. We want to have a peaceful coexistence with a fairly large predatory animal, but I don't think anyone told the bear, nor did he agree with our terms. So we tolerate his indiscretions up to a point, but a time comes when he must be shot.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If you feel threatened, by all means shoot and kill the bear. That's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    how come this isnt on the news or adn? are you sure the bear didnt just give her the evil eye. where are you getting your facts. post up a link.
    Got a hold of the wildlife manager or whatever that is in charge of this. She said it charged and swiped a woman without provocation.

To akmike30: Read my starting post again. We don't have anyone leaving trash out, especially not since this bear has been causing trouble for 2 months. (I don't know what kind of idiotic redneck neighbors you have that don't follow through with having their trash taken away, but no one in this neighborhood does that. I appreciate the insinuation that we're that stupid, by the way).

I like bears, they are really cool and quite tasty. I like my yard, my kids play there and it gives me a place to shoot my bow and play fetch with the dog. I would not like a bear in my yard, especially not on a regular basis. I would absolutely take measures to protect my family from any nuisance bear up to and including killing the animal. Shotgun slugs are pretty cheap and drywall is easy to patch, the only bear in my garage would be hanging from the meat hook!

The silver lining in this, the fish and game lady said APD and Fish and Game have been ordered to shoot this bear if it causes trouble again (which I'm sure it will). At least they've finally taken it seriously, albeit AFTER someone got attacked. I'm sure glad it wasn't a kid walking home from school.

Children look up to their parents to protect them - when a bear or any other animal starts eyeing them, or you, up as a potential meal its time to step up the the plate and end the threat. If all normal steps have been taken to seek help from autorities then one must make the best call they can.
    There is no shortage of black bears, I doubt it would set off a spree of bear uncalled for killings by homeowners...
    Besides if anyone asked U could say it was about to eat a baby spotted owl and you were protecting it...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

strap your gat on like gator and go for a stroll if you get threatened shoot to live. "gator dont play dat!"
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Yes, you destroy every bear in town walking down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    The troopers and APD's response was essentially "Well, call us when something terrible happens. Have a nice day."

I despise it when the authorities say they wont do anything until something really bad happens; it disappoints me that so many of you took the same stance. Someone got chewed on, maybe someone will do something about it now. Great. Reminds me of how they install security cameras AFTER stuff gets stolen.
    Your feelings are understandable and I feel some sympathy for the safety concerns your two threads express. However, feelings aside, your statements are incongruent with the contextual facts. (This is true not only here but in almost every debate about public safety all over this country.)

The sad fact is that the primary function of most public safety agencies in general (and LEOs in particular) is NOT to keep us safe! Rather it's to respond to bad things once they happen. Once the LEOs have played their role and caught the "bad guys" we might get some benefit of improved safety from fewer dangerous people (or bears) on the streets, but this is merely a side effect, not their major function. (There are exceptions but they are also mostly side effects.)

Quite frankly, this is exactly how it should be, because the opposite -- "proactive" public safety agencies -- is inexorably linked to a reduction in personal freedom. You can find proactive cops, in totalitarian states, (they serve society by arresting you on suspicion, before you commit the crime). You can find proactive regulators, in impenetrable bureaucracies, (they make rules that keep you safe from yourself). And you can find proactive wildlife authorities, in overdeveloped areas, (they manage wildlife for you with reams of regulations, designed to shield us from nature).

So the fundamental conflict has been somewhat misstated in both threads. The real conflict isn't between people and bears, it's between people and regulations. Most of us, hunters and wildlife watchers alike, are happy to have a few bears around, otherwise we'd move outside. The real problem is that we don't have realistic ways to resolve the inevitable conflicts between two predator species trying to coexist, without relying on the so-called authorities.

There's no one "right" answer to this. I don't care whether we resolve this with fences, tranquilizer darts, in-city hunting regs, or chanting to the bear spirits. But the solutions should serve the people, not the regulators. Always remember that agencies exist primarily to serve bureaucracy, not people. That's why Benjamin Franklin wrote "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." This applies just as much to bears in the streets as to any other issue we face. Instead of increasing enforcement and installing security cameras, let's rewrite the laws to serve everyone, maximizing both freedom and responsibility, instead of blocking us from solving problems by ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    The sad fact is that the primary function of most public safety agencies in general (and LEOs in particular) is NOT to keep us safe! Rather it's to respond to bad things once they happen. Once the LEOs have played their role and caught the "bad guys" we might get some benefit of improved safety from fewer dangerous people (or bears) on the streets, but this is merely a side effect, not their major function. (There are exceptions but they are also mostly side effects.)
    ummm im gonna have to go ahead and sorta disagree with you there....

"To protect and serve" means exactly what it reads.....That is supposed to be the bottom line of the LEO's job
    whether its from bears, moose, crazy meth heads, terrorists, etc etc.....they are supposed to protect and serve their community....

IMO- a bear in my garage would be nice...if only he wouldnt mind keeping the moose in my freezer company

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    "To protect and serve" means exactly what it reads.....That is supposed to be the bottom line of the LEO's job whether its from bears, moose, crazy meth heads, terrorists, etc etc.....they are supposed to protect and serve their community....
    I really wish that were true, sadly it is not. You are repeating a common urban myth. The motto "to protect and to serve" was coined as a marketing slogan to recruit new LAPD officers in 1955. It became the LAPD's official motto in 1963. Over the ensuing years, other police departments gradually adopted it. As time went by, enough departments adopted it that it eventually became seen as you describe it by the public. It should be the bottom line, but unfortunately it is simply a motto, not a governing rule or commitment.