Thread: What Is YOUR Favorite Make and Model of ATVs and Why?

Cool What Is YOUR Favorite Make and Model of ATVs and Why?

Hello! We are looking for ATVs to replace the ones we sold when we left Alaska in 2007. At that time, we had two 2005 Yamaha Bruins and a 2006 Yamaha Grizzly (when Bruins were still around). We prefer Yamaha, but we are open to others. What is your favorite and why do you love it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobyn View Post
    What is your favorite and why do you love it?

My D-8 Cat will go anywhere, It is my favorite ATV

Polaris Big Boss 6x6. With the box on the six wheeler you rarely (if ever) need to pull a trailer, and with the extra two wheels you almost never get stuck. I don't think I'll ever buy another four wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Polaris Big Boss 6x6. With the box on the six wheeler you rarely (if ever) need to pull a trailer, and with the extra two wheels you almost never get stuck. I don't think I'll ever buy another four wheeler.
    Starting to think this way too. I got an older one a couple months ago. Use it for work and a little bit of hunting.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I have 2 Yamaha's---No issues. 2001 Kodiak and 09 550 Grizzly
    Stick with what worked for you last time...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I was curious about those. Is the Ranger 6X6 mostly the same but just a bit bigger?

Does anyone know about these wierd-looking ones: http://www.maxatvs.com/?gclid=CPiSqL...FQjc4AodY1JPWQ
    they don't look like they have much flex in the suspension.

Since you said ATV I really like the Honda Rubicon. Main reason is for the Hondamatic Continuous Variable Transmission. The engine braking is second to none. I have never gone down a hill that I felt threatened with yet. Most of the time, on steep hills you almost have to accelerate. They do sit lower to the ground than some of the polaris's but, its amazing what they will go through. For a UTV, don't think you can touch a Polaris Ranger XP. Canam boasts their UTV, but I'm not sold over the Ranger XP.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I was curious about those. Is the Ranger 6X6 mostly the same but just a bit bigger?

Does anyone know about these wierd-looking ones: http://www.maxatvs.com/?gclid=CPiSqL...FQjc4AodY1JPWQ
    they don't look like they have much flex in the suspension.
    the Polaris RANGER is side by side seating.. like a mini pickup.. the SPORTSMAN is designed for a single passenger
    it gets confusing sometimes...

Polaris Ranger hands down. On my second one. Not a single factory issue.

I will throw my two coppers in. I have a 1998 Yamaha Big Bear that I have been through a lot with. It is a good, old fashioned gear jammer. Downside is full-time 4wd, shifting all the time, rough suspension with solid rear axle, and limited slip front dif that gives you 3wd most of the time. Upside is it is bullet proof and will take a hard licking and keep ticking (I have done nothing but maintenance and a new carb needle vavle/seat). Now, I just bought a brand new 2011 Polaris Sportsman XP 550 EFI. A little background: I grew up with Polaris two stroke 300's and loved them! Only real downside with them was engine breaking that did not exist but they had good brakes. I looked at Yamaha and Polaris when buying the new one (I read a lot of reviews and talked to a lot of folks and thus narrowed to two brands). IMO, Polaris figured it out on the XP chassis. The new front and rear suspension, radiator placement, engine positioning (narrow seat) are the cat's hiny. Now for the eingine breaking: Outstanding! I generaly have to use power to go down hills, even in high range. The EFI is great too...starts every time with no hassle and not altitude problems. I really like the Polaris "Lock-n-Ride" system as well because it makes accessory installation a breeze. The only thing I don't like and will remedy soon is the stock tires...they load up and become super cub tires in mud. If you want to go UTV, I second what others have said about the Ranger.

all depends on what i am doing as to what at is my favorite. Nasty hunting and exploring... My argo. Hands down. As for ripping around playing and going fasr. a rapter 660. It's all reletive.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

My personal preference is for Yamaha. We have an '07 and '08 Yamaha Grizzly 700. They run great, they don't drain the battery when stored over the winter, the belt drive is completely reliable, the four wheel drive with diff lock is bomb proof, the seat is cushy, the power steering makes an all day ride over the worst terrain enjoyable, they are one of the lighter big bores out there, they get good mileage, they have great power, the engine braking is very good. The air intake is up high by the gas tank so on water crossings you can go pretty deep without worry. The only downsides we've found on them is that the connections that hold the plastic to the frame are weak and snap, the oil filter is in a bit of an awkward spot and the stock axles can twist off if you are spinning them and then all of a sudden hook up to traction. We ride all terrain and weather conditions and have had these out in -20, on ice, snow, mud, rocks, water, sand, etc. It's a low maintenance rig - basically we change the oil and air filter every spring and have a blast for the rest of the season. IMO the Grizz is the best all around machine on the market today.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I bought a 1991 Yamaha 350 Big Bear in 1993 and ran it for 4 years with after market tires, I think they were called Spider Tracks? In 1996 my Dad bought a 425 Polaris Magnum 6x6. It definitely hauled a trailer better and would run thru the brush easier. I bought a 500cc Polaris Big Boss 6x6 in 1998 and finally sold it this spring. It was a hauling machine and ran well except for a couple of times when I had chain problems. I bought a Polaris 2011 800cc Sportsman 6x6 Big Boss in May. No more chains to deal with. It definitely is going to be a work horse. My wife's 1999 500cc Sportsman is fun to ride and does not have that many miles on it. When we take a big trip we pull 2 aluminum ATV trailers with us. We bring a 12 x 17 Realite wall tent and aluminum frame, cots, wood stove, fuel and all the gear one would need for a comfortable 10 day stay. When we leave any thing we shot comes out with us. None of the 4 wheelers I have ever been around will pull a heavy load, especially over rough terrain and up steep hills, like a Polaris 6x6 Sportsman does. Having 6 wheels with independent suspension driving on the ground makes a difference. I do believe a good 4 wheeler with a good driver with big after market tires will go thru real deep and loose mud better then I will, they will have more flotation. So it is always a trade off and it depends on what a guy wants to do with a machine. If I was interested in hauling butt in a hurry down a trail I would hop on my wife's 4 wheeler. But, if I want a load hauling work horse I saddle up on a Polaris 6x6.

I don't know about you fellas, but my favorite machine is the one in the parked in driveway/garage...if its paid for that is...
    "Western Alaska is a place where the Government does things for you when it isn't doing things to you."-Craig Medred
    "You can't eat Antlers"-Anonymous
    "Antlers fly forever!"-Jacob Carl

I havn't found anything better than my Polaris ranger XP 4x4. It can be sporty or utility depending on my foot and will haul a load in the bed without even knowing it. I can drive through the thick brush that stops all the four wheelers and it even comes with a cup holder! Half shield keeps most the weather off and the roof keeps the rain of when spotting animals. I can talk with my wife as we ride and I could go on and on on why it is mt favorite. I am big into yearly maintenance and have never had a problem that wasn't my fault. It also plows the driveway alot faster than any four wheeler!!!

I had a 1996 Polaris 425 magnum, 6X6, until a few months ago. I loved it. Sold it and bought a Ranger 6X6. Takes us anywhere we are brave enough to go. Comfortable and fun to drive.

I second what EagleRiverDee said about the yamaha grizzlies. We own two(2003 660, and a 2007 700) the power steering is amazing in ride comfortability and confidence. The clearance is plenty for my needs and with the after-market tires I get where I need to go. The 4WD diff-lock is also great in crossing rivers and that deeper stuff. Stick with what worked with you before, but remember the market has changed greatly since the 90's. Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting and be sure to have pictures!