Thread: Anyone ever stop and fish the sag while bowhunting?

Default Anyone ever stop and fish the sag while bowhunting?

I'm heading up for my second time to the Haul road for caribou in about two weeks. I want to fish it for char and grayling. Anyone ever fly fish for them on that river, what types of flies for char? Or would you recommend spin tackle?

Thanks

Mossy,
    We caught some grayling last year. All fish were caught on prince nymph beadheads. I am certain you could catch some on small spinners as well. I am also so told that there is a September run of char that can be amazing. We didn't get into any so I really can't comment.

One from last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just got back from Sag/Ivishak float. Fishing was awesome! We used small #1 panther martin spinners, silver rainbow colored for grayling. The grayling were up to 18 inches and heavy. Holes and the riffles just prior to the holes worked best for the grayling.

Char took the larger silver spoons and spinners #3 to #6 T-spoons, #3 silver Mepps/minnows with silver fished deep and slow in holes worked best.

Also used flies that were fairly large weighted smolt patterns with eyes. Sparkle gold and sparkle silver worked 8x to 2x. Even larger should work for char.

Spinners worked best as described. We did not kill any fish but each caught more than 100 on the 7-day excursion.

We got 4 caribou up the Ivishak. They were few and far between. Saw one single bear and a sow with cub up the I.

Absolutely beautiful! Very grateful for the caribou and the meat they provide. Boiled a heart this afternoon. Wonderful....

Left pipeline MP 50 boat launch at 4pm and got to Wiseman (Boreal Lodge) by 10 pm including flat on trailer pulling NRS 18 foot cataraft. Left Coldfoot about 10 am got into Wasilla at Midnight same day. Long, good drive. Put the meat at the butcher pal and all is good....

Wonderful! Very grateful.

Mossy, We caught a few grayling last year in the Sag on Mepps spinners fishing at the end of one of the pipeline access roads a couple miles or so north of Pump 2. It was a short walk in from the gate as I recall. Also shot some ptarms in this area. What are your dates? We will probably be camped at Last Chance Wayside during the week of Sept. 11. Starting back around the 16th. Will share any info with you if we pass on the way out. Send me a PM for contact info. Joe

We'll be up there on the 15th thru the 19th. Not familiar with the last chance wayside. Is that the pull out going up the hill with the wooden observation area?

Last Chance is at MP 355, just before you get to Pump 2.

Oh ya, I know it. Just didn't know that's what it was called. Thanks

Joe I sent you a pm but unsure if it went through from my phone.

I've fished the Sag for grayling on several trips and done well with both fly and spinning gear. Some of the other creeks on the way up there are nice, too. I never had any luck with char in the Sag, though... just bad timing probably.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth