Thread: Caribou 40 Mile Success Dad & Daughter

Default Caribou 40 Mile Success Dad & Daughter

Earlier this spring I promised my daughter a moose hunt. But because she is playing JH basketball the hunt was going to overlap try-outs which are on Sept 8-9, so she said "no big deal dad." So we went to plan "B," and with help from the forum we were able to put together a rushed trip to Chicken for caribou. We rode our 4-wheelers 20 mile in when my daughter flagged me over and said our trailer tire was about to blow out and sure enough the tire tread had spread apart and the inner tire was bulging out. We quickly decided 20 miles was far enough, prior to that trip the about 4 miles was the longer trip she had ridden.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We did some scouting around and didn't see any caribou the night before but had a great time hiking around looking at new country. We decided that we would check things out in the morning and if we did not see anything we would travel further the trail in hopes of finding caribou.
    I the morning of opening season I woke up at 5:30 am and told her time to "rise and shine" and she had different thoughts. She said she had slept terrible because of my snoring and she was fighting a cold. I told her I would go have a look around to see id I could spot anything while she continued to sleep. I walk about a half mile down the ridge behind camp and I spotted a caribou - bull. Because I had not expected to see anything I was under prepared. I had my gun and three bullets. I figured I would tag out and go get my daughter to help pack it out. I shot three times...missed (not even close enough to scare the bull). I am blaming it on my gun case was not secure on the ride in and the scope musty have been knocked off badly So I hustled back to camp and told my daughter to get up quickly if she wanted to shot her first caribou because I could not hit the broad side of a barn She grabbed her gun and the back pack, a new box of shell for my gun and off we went. The bull was still feeding around, so we crept within about 200 yards (longer than she has shot before) and I asked her if she was comfortable and she said she was ready to shot. So I had her fire when she was ready, and she shoot the caribou humped up and came right for us, I told her to wait and let come closer, it turn broad side again so she fired again, hitting it a second time and then it traveled about 20 yards and went down!

Awesome!!! Congrats on a beautiful Bull.

It was the only caribou we had saw the entire trip. I was a young bull but a real trophy to her. She is great "kid" and she must have thanked me over twenty time over the hunt for allowing her to come along. I shared with her my memories of hunting with my dad and how happy I was to have her along and after my shooting I need someone who could hit something. We quartered it out and loaded up the camp and headed out. On the way home we were reflecting on our year, she shot a black bear that squared 6'2" in Prince Williams Sound this spring on a "boat hunt," and this caribou on a "4-wheeler trip" and then she commented next year we need to do a "fly in" for either moose or sheep. I assured her with some planning we could probably pull that off. I am blessed to have a daughter that is hooked on hunting and spending time with her dad.
    Thanks again for everyone help on pulling this quick caribou hunt off. We will definitely be back next year or flying for moose or sheep.

You are truly blessed to have your hunting partner - may you have many such wonderful hunts ahead!
    Congrats to you both! Thx for sharing...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Awesome. great job dad and daughter!! Looks like you guys had nice weather.

That is awesome! Congrat's to you and your daughter and wish you well in ya'lls future outings!

Wish there were more Dads like you! Congrats to you and your daughter!

congrats on your hunt, looks like the weather cooperated and the caribou gods offered up a fat young one. great pics. hope to get out sat on the steese myself

Good job Dad! Congratulations on a great hunt. Good thing you taught her how to shoot straight. j/k

Congrats! This really has been the year to get the kids onto critters. Hopefully your daughter isn't rubbing it in too bad about outshooting you.

Way to go, Dad, congrats to your daughter and thanks for sharing the pics and story with us.

Very nice and congrats! Nothing like sharing time with the kids!

Great read! She's a dead eye, unlike dad!
    Proud to be an American!

Great storyline. A memory your daughter will cherish forever.

Good deal. Also, the successfull management of the Nelchina Herd should contribute to more kids/family's hunting.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Awesome report, Congratulations to you both. Oh, and I love the blue boots!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for all the positive feedback and she loves her blue boots. She mentioned she wish she had a bow in her hair before the pictures like she did on her bear hunt this spring. I guess she is a very typical 14 year old girl...

Good for you dad. The hunt will be a source of memories and put good food on the table. Sounds like she is just "starting"!

Memories for a lifetime. Awesome!