Thread: "Illegal" to hunt after sunset?

Default "Illegal" to hunt after sunset?

I just read that it is ILLEGAL to hunt after sunset. In Alaska?! Is that true? For ducks, or are we hunting for caribou? When did the regulation's change? When do YOU stop/start shooting? Civil twilight? The crack of dawn? When the cows come home? Auntie Em what shall we do? I wish I were back Kansas! Really,.. when is it too late? Not judging, just asking. Okay,... open the gate.

Far as I know and I read the regs it says nothing about hunting after sunset that is lower 48 thing. Oregon no hunting 30 min after the sun sets and no hunting prior to it rising.

There are federally mandated shooting times for migratory birds, but state regulations simply prohibit the use of artificial light for hunting under a sport license. Under a trapping license (just a few dollars more) you can use artificial light to take furbearers.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

They don't have sunrise or sunset on the Alaska Peninsula in the fall. They have category #3 through #5 hurricanes, Monsoons, and O'God we are going to die, but no sun.

In what context did you read this? There are no set shooting hours for big game hunting in Alaska.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    I just read that it is ILLEGAL to hunt after sunset. In Alaska?! Is that true? For ducks, or are we hunting for caribou? When did the regulation's change? When do YOU stop/start shooting? Civil twilight? The crack of dawn? When the cows come home? Auntie Em what shall we do? I wish I were back Kansas! Really,.. when is it too late? Not judging, just asking. Okay,... open the gate.
    it is always to late to hunt after season close's
    edit signature here

They have category #3 through #5 hurricanes, Monsoons, and O'God we are going to die, but no sun.
    Good one!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Probably saw it on a reality TV show!
    Tim

I believe you read that part in the waterfowl hunting section. For waterfowl there is a chart listed to tell you when you can start and must stop shooting. It's specific to the area you are hunting and it changes everyday to make things interesting!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

For big game the issue is, you are not allowed to hunt using artificial light, or fire. For moose or bear, it's almost impossible to identify a legal moose or a brown/black bear at night here. Weather changes so fast here that you cant count on having any moonlight.

A friend of mine had a legal moose that they heard, all night, thrashing in the brush less than 100 yards from their tent. They had to wait until first light, then shot him immediately.

That's what you have to deal with up here. Almost every animal requires very specific identification and has very convincing imposters that can get you $5000 fines and strip your hunting license. You just need good light, period, to identify a legal animal under the most common regulations.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6