Thread: 3 1/2" twelve gauge question.....????

Default 3 1/2" twelve gauge question.....????

I don't care what the projectile is, be it slug, buck shot, BB's, #12 shot.........The question is in 3 1/2" 12 Ga. what is the heaviest (Max.) weight of projectile, what ever size or shape, what is the most it can weigh. (Strongly prefer heavy factory load).......??????

Never seen a 3 1/2" slug. Not sure what the big 3 1/2" turkey or goose loads weight. I like the Brenneke black majic 3" slugs at 600grs I think, or more, and at a good velocity. Seen the 3 1/2" turkey loads at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Lightfield makes a 1 3/8oz sabot slug in 3.5"... claimed MV of 1890fps @ 4759fpe. Holy smokes batman...

I know back in oregun if you had enough money (we never did) you could buy 3 1/2 inch 2 1/6 OZ NO 6 or maybe No 5 shot. and of course, them bug tough meriams turkeys need all that power comming outta a 3000 gun with a extra extra extra full choke to kill them, cause dads Moss 500 with cheap ol 2 3/4 inch no 4 shot with a modifired choke can't kill them. the darn things musta died from laughing I guess. cause all those bb's in its head didn't work no sir they didn't cuase it wasn't a magnum

Lol, but anyway, thats the biggest shot load I've heard of. I'll look into slugs and buckshot
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Hevi-shot sells a few varieties of 2 1/4oz payloads as well as 18 pellet '00' buck loads.

This article says that you can get up to 2 3/8 ounces of lead into a 3.5 inch shotgun shell:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...ch-turkey-load

At 437.5 grains to 1 ounce, that puts the maximum load at 1039 grains. I didn't look too extensively for anything that big, but a quick review of Federal's website revealed these:

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ll.aspx?id=410

That comes out to 984.375 grains at a muzzle velocity of 1150 fps.

Curious to know what you're looking for in these monster shells.

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.