Thread: hall rd cell phone coverage

Default hall rd cell phone coverage

Anyone know if there is cell phone service between pump station 2 and 3?

I lost signal just past Fox and never got it back till I got back to Fox.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Nope........... There isn't cell service until about 30 miles south of Prudhoe Bay. Sometimes you will pick it up at Frankland Bluffs witch is about 40 miles soth of Prudhoe.
    DJ

It has been two years...but if you have ACS, just south of pump two, at first turn off on the east side of the road at the top of the hill...I got on the roof of my buddy's camper and had service :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Like Roger45 says I can get service at that location just south of PS 2 with ACS.

Great. Thanks for the info.

If by chance your driving a truck with onStar you'll have signal most if not all the way there. It's like having a sat phone in your truck without the high charges.

Quote Originally Posted by tmhayes View Post
    If by chance your driving a truck with onStar you'll have signal most if not all the way there. It's like having a sat phone in your truck without the high charges.
    That is interesting tmhayes. I wasn't too pleased with Onstar one time when I was way north of Toronto. I thought it worked off the satellites but it doesn't, works off cell towers, or so I was told when I got back home and complained about it. Have you used the phone along the haul rd?

I've used it on the haul road and down at Chitina. I have called the wife from Yukon River Camp and after I got gas in Coldfoot and then the next morning when I was up near Toolik Lake. I was told it was cell towers also but if thatsbthe case why does it work for me all over and at places where cell phones don't work. My iPhone goes dead up passed fox and I don't get it back until I'm in Deadhorse or back down almost to fox.

Maybe it's because it's a Chevy truck!!

This is what else I found out about OnStar.... OnStar is the leading provider of telematics services in the United States. Telematics is the transmission of data communications between systems and devices. OnStar's in-vehicle safety, security, and information services use Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite and cellular technology to link the vehicle and driver to the OnStar Center. At the OnStar Center, advisors offer real-time, personalized help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Makes me wonder if the satellite part doesn't pick up and cover when the cell part can't. All I know is it's the best money I have spent in a long time. But as I said before, I still carry a SAT Phone in the truck just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by tmhayes View Post
    ... I was told it was cell towers also but if thatsbthe case why does it work for me all over and at places where cell phones don't work. My iPhone goes dead up passed fox and I don't get it back until I'm in Deadhorse or back down almost to fox....
    It's because the vehicle-mounted Onstar receiver/transmitter, which links to an antenna on top of your vehicle, is at least six times more powerful than the one in your little cell phone. The max power for cell phone transmitters is much lower because they don't want to fry your brain. Unless they have changed something dramatically recently (which I doubt), your Onstar transmits signals to and recieves them from cell towers alone. There is no satellite component. It's just a lot more powerful than the little phone thingy you put right next to your temple.

Well, what ever it is I love it and I'm glad I have it.. And I never leave home without it!

3 watt truck mounted phone, .5 watt Iphone, lot of difference.