Thread: How's the fishin' in Kodiak?

Default How's the fishin' in Kodiak?

Hello. Coming to Kodiak 9/7. Taking a charter on the 8th. Anyone still catching mushy halibut? What are the sizes like? Catching rock fish and silvers also? Two of us are hoping to ship home 50+ lbs of fish, the more halibut the better.
    Thanks for any info.

Well, the bad news is I just got skunked all day. The good news is that you won't be going out with me. Hopefully you'll be going with the charter boat that raked in kings hand over fist RIGHT ALONGSIDE ME for three hours around the high slack tide. Unbelievable! I don't know what those guys were fishing with, but they **** sure knew what they were doing.

Welcome to Kodiak. Have a great time. You'll catch silvers and halibut, likely also some kings still around. Just avoid my boat, apparently!

Also, I haven't heard reports of mushy halibut since early July.

Just put 5 in the boat yesterday, 20# to 50#. No mushy ones. But I almost never see mush. By 9/7 the water will be cooling a little and the halibut will be on the move, but a charter boat that's been going out every day will stay right on top of the movement and you'll do fine.

Don't know if this is of help. 4 of us fished the first week in August out of Chrome Bay--near Elizabeth Island. We ended up fishing the Barren Islands a few of the days and the skipper said we were 10 miles from Kodiak--but a big island, so I know we were a distance from the actual town of Kodiak. But, we didn't catch single mushy halibut--none.

I am headed there next week as well. Is the saltwater trolling for silvers slow like the ADFG report says? We will mostly be fishing the streams but still hoping the run is decent.

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get there. I have our licenses but I didn't get king stamps. Thought it would be too late for them. Can I still get them in town somewhere? Sport store maybe? I would hate to put any back. Also wondering if you see many whales
    while out fishing. This is our third time on Alaska waters and I still really want to see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iloveak View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get there. I have our licenses but I didn't get king stamps. Thought it would be too late for them. Can I still get them in town somewhere? Sport store maybe? I would hate to put any back. Also wondering if you see many whales
    while out fishing. This is our third time on Alaska waters and I still really want to see one.
    Yes, you can get king stamps here. And you might still see gray or humpback whales here.

Quote Originally Posted by Iloveak View Post
    Also wondering if you see many whales
    There was a pod of orcas just outside the harbor as I was coming back in today. Fishing was slow for me-2 silvers in about 4 hours but others did good on halibut that I talked to.
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

we were out at chiniak yesterday, saw a few charter guys trolling. We came close to limiting on hailbut with 11, with 2 90lbers and a lingcod. Keep your eye on the marine forcast, pretty bad today, but calming down a little by the end of the week. Saw 1 whale while coming back in, near middle bay.