Thread: Question about fuel to take for Forest Service Cabin Oil Stove

Default Question about fuel to take for Forest Service Cabin Oil Stove

Hello all,
    I am heading into Devil's Pass Cabin and all I have in the house right now is the Coleman Camp Fuel which is White Gas. The forest service website says the stove takes #1 fuel oil. I found the website for the stove at the cabin and it says it will take Diesel #1, #2 or Kerosene.

Can I use the White Gas? Should I go buy #1 stove oil and if so where would I go in anchorage for that?

Link to stove, specifications section says the above fuels:
    http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/dickinson_00-ADR.html

Thanks
    AKF

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Hello all,
    I am heading into Devil's Pass Cabin and all I have in the house right now is the Coleman Camp Fuel which is White Gas. The forest service website says the stove takes #1 fuel oil. I found the website for the stove at the cabin and it says it will take Diesel #1, #2 or Kerosene.

Can I use the White Gas? Should I go buy #1 stove oil and if so where would I go in anchorage for that?

Link to stove, specifications section says the above fuels:
    http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/dickinson_00-ADR.html

Thanks
    AKF
    You should NOT, repeat NOT use white gas in an oil drip stove! You can purchase pearl kerosene at most hardware stores, or Freddy's etc. The less expensive option is #1 or #2 heating fuel, otherwise known as #1 or #2 diesel fuel sold at any filling station. The only difference being that you pay a little highway tax at the filling station.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What he said....

White gas is essentially super refined gasoline....go big boom!

Kerosene is essentially diesel, higher flash point and made for those kinds of stove operations.

Tell your friends

Thanks, I'll grab some tommorrow.

Add this thread to the guy who said he was gonna put jet fuel in his motorcycle to make it go REALLY FAST!!! LOL...

Jet A works well in the stoves, burns clean too

AIH has 5 gal cans of Kerosine, Works great. #2 diesel as sold at the gas station pump this time of year can burn very sooty. #1 or stove oil or Jet A ok too.

I stayed at the Devils Pass cabin in June and we used number one fuel oil. Since I have a toyostove at the house I just drained some oil out of my outside holding tank to take on the trip.

There is a laminated sheet of paper there hanging on the wall that gives good instructions on how to get that stove going and I suggest you read it as it was very helpful.

What they said. We will be using diesel, but I think kerosene will be less nasty to handle than the diesel. I will be at St. John Bay cabin for the moose season late Sept. through Early Oct. Might we run into each other?