Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethical hunting?

Default Ethical hunting?

just a question, heard this story from a 40 mile hunter just today, they drove up & headed out the day before the opener to a place I took him last year on the way they came across a camp with hunters telling them that they could not continue to where they wanted to camp because there was caribou bedded on the same hill & they planed to hunt them in the morning. now I won't continue with the rest of the story because of words & actions that took place. both parties ended up getting bou, but my question is who was in the wrong here the hunter trying to go camp on a spot with caribou on it that some one had been watching before season started or the other hunter telling the other one he couldn't go there. thoughts????? I'm under the impresion & taught that you can camp where ever you want to on public land & you have no right to hold claim on animals overnight.

Common Curtisy canm go along way in such a situation.

You "CAN" camp where you want, but Curtisy to other Hunters and the situation certainly would have been better if the Hunters who were in camp "asked" you not to proceed, and prehaps asked you to join them. Having come apon the Caribou you were seeking, why proceed anyway, if there were enough to go around.

Then again a bad attitude and gruffness can go far to spoiling any sitution.
    Caribou eat and walk all night anyways, they dont stay beded till morning, but they will avoid crossing water till theres light.

No animals are "Yours" till your standing over the Carcass.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

To tell someone that they can't camp there holds no water. If the other hunters were a bit more polite, things would have gone differently IMO. Saying "Hi" and pointing out that there are animals in that area is how I would approach it. If the season is closed then no one can claim the "in pursuit" clause. Tough cookies, be a little more courteous next time and don't tell folks where they can and can't camp.

Glad your friends connected.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    just a question, heard this story from a 40 mile hunter just today, they drove up & headed out the day before the opener to a place I took him last year on the way they came across a camp with hunters telling them that they could not continue to where they wanted to camp because there was caribou bedded on the same hill & they planed to hunt them in the morning. now I won't continue with the rest of the story because of words & actions that took place. both parties ended up getting bou, but my question is who was in the wrong here the hunter trying to go camp on a spot with caribou on it that some one had been watching before season started or the other hunter telling the other one he couldn't go there. thoughts????? I'm under the impresion & taught that you can camp where ever you want to on public land & you have no right to hold claim on animals overnight.
    True public lands are public land, but why hunt and camp on top of someone that is already there? There is a lot of land up there. Sounds like those guys got there first, put in the time and effort to set up camp, and scout some animals. While legal to go set up camp on the animals they wanted to hunt, I don't think it is very nice or ethical. Put yourself in the other camps shoes. If you had been there first, then along comes another group, how happy would you be? If I was your buddy, I would have been decent enough to move on. Itís hard to give a real pin point answer without all of the finer details involved. Iím sure some will disagree with me, but it's just the way I would approach this situation. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. Be interesting to see more peopleís perspectives and answers to this. Take care!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Its against the law to hinder a hunter during a hunt. Its also against the law to hunt after sun down. So acording to the law they had every right in the world to continue to a camp site.
    I took the boy up to Paxson for his first boo this weekend. We were secessfull in taking a bull, but not before being interupted by two guys in a loud truck. Pissed me off! The boo got scittish due to the truck passing, then backing up, and then them hollering at us asking if we were going to shoot it. Hmmmm. Two people with rifels stalking out tords a boo, and they just had to ask! Idiots.

Both parties could have handled it better. I certainly do not like people to encroach on "MY" spot, but I also realize it is not my spot. A allready stated common curtisy, from both parties, goes a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by Daplumber View Post
    Its against the law to hinder a hunter during a hunt. Its also against the law to hunt after sun down. So acording to the law they had every right in the world to continue to a camp site.
    I took the boy up to Paxson for his first boo this weekend. We were secessfull in taking a bull, but not before being interupted by two guys in a loud truck. Pissed me off! The boo got scittish due to the truck passing, then backing up, and then them hollering at us asking if we were going to shoot it. Hmmmm. Two people with rifels stalking out tords a boo, and they just had to ask! Idiots.
    Sounds like some real dumbasses you had to deal with there! Wow. The OP wasn't about if people had the legal right to camp, but if they were being ethical by camping in the spot.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

hoyt i couldn't agree more, the only problem is that the spot that was chosen for a camp site was 1/2 mile away from said animals & the said hunters did not ask for them to not go, they told them. my friends are very understanding people & try to help out other hunters, so for them to relate this story to me tells me things went south. I wish everyone that goes up there gets somthing for the freezer.

By the way it sounds, both parties were attempting to achieve the same goal. Both parties were trying to identify caribou the day prior to the opening to have a better chance come opening day. Given the fact they shared the same plan, maybe if they could have cooperated better with each other verbally, they could have shared a camp together and went after the caribou together. The OP does not state how many hunters versus caribou in the situation, but it could have a mutually respectable thing to do on both sides.

Respect and courtesy go a long way. IMHO, the Alaskan spirit is to respect an area being used first by another. I fully understand that on public land each individual has an equal right to its use. However, I would have just found another area to camp until the other party left. On the other hand I understand the first parties wish to execute their plan and would have ASK your friend to please not disturb the Caribou. I take to the bush to escape daily conflicts not to get into drama while trying to enjoy myself.

This spring I had a Gentleman setup a bait station in an area I have been baiting for 5 years. This person knew that I had been using that area for years and still setup there anyway. I know he was aware that I have been using that spot for years because the local taxidermist told him as much. We ended up meeting and I told him how long I would be in the area and that I was trying to get a lady her first bear and that she recently had broke her leg and had limited mobility.

Apparently, he did not care as he came into hunt with his Son the last night we had to hunt. His stand was no more than 200 yards from mine. I guess in his mind this was totally acceptable. I was extremely upset about the situation, but I was friendly to the Gentleman and his young Son and choose to not make a unpleasant confrontation in front of his Son and my friends. We wished him luck and followed him in and removed our stand and barrel.

We went to another area and she killed her bear. He later PMed me to say his Son shot a huge bear but could not find it.

In my mind he was inconsiderate, knowing full well that I have been using that spot for years. I even was at F&G the morning they opened and registered both the spot I have always used and the spot he setup in.

Not worth fighting over and teaching new hunters about conflict and competition.

In the end Karma was on our side and we got Becca a nice boar and no ill words were spoken.

My friends and I spoke about the exchange later and discussed how the interaction would have been if when he approached I had started yelling and asking him what the heck was he thinking.

Having been on both ends of this kind of thing I can see it from both sides. Those there first were most likely just as disappointed to see your friend as your friend was to see them.

It really helps to try to views issues from the other persons prospective as well as your own and to try to reach a compromise that is best for both parties. Neither party wins when conflict breaks out.

Glad that it all worked out in the end.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

This one is a tough one.....but I can see both sides.

If I was the guys already camped, I would be disappointed that my plan on those animals was likely foiled, but agree with the post that it's not to say they would be there in the morning anyway, and that's just luck of the draw in a popular hunt area.

As the newly arrived, I would most likely have headed in that night hoping against hope that no one was in my intended camping spot, then to have someone request me to not camp there (and it being not occupied) due to there being animals in the area....I'd feel for the campers but would unlikely be moved to change my plans.

The OP offers few details, but I hope everyone behaved like adults and was glad to hear that tags were filled.

We call them "Hunting Grounds"
    Mine extend west/east/North from this village about 50 miles, and then South about 150 miles, and I often ride this with boat and snowgo, depending on the season. In season, I go further upriver, but only for certain hunts.
    Wide open to anyone, but like a trap line, we repsect the guy whos working the area.

Up this way there are "Areas" that familys have been harvesting plants, fish and animals for generations. Often they will say "This is my familys Place" and sweep a vally with their arms.
    This is not Bad by any means, it just means that they have an intement knowlage ogf the land, not a means of ownership at all, and if you ask 'what, where, when", then you'll probly get alotta info, as well as where best to camp, get wood, dangers, ect.
    As well, they will often invite you to a select place and treat you like a guest while camping there, as its often "Home" to them, without a roof or some paper tital, wide open to every one.
    I preferr to get info and visit with those that know. Helps too if I have trouble leaving.
    Same deal for hunting along the River in Fall time, where , out of respect we give way to hose who arrived before us, and usually in order, though we often let Elder folks get the first crossers, so the have a longer work day, even if they arrive later than us.. Theres plenty for evereyone all righ, alotta room and alotta time. Never a need to argue or hassle over.No matter how long a person or their family have Hunted/fished /gather'd, only a Hunters respect for another will work.

respect or norespect, that is the delimma........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Lots of land and a lot of caribou up there to start peeing in each others wheaties over...

I run into folks like that every year with that kind of mentality so I just walk over the next ridge and leave 'em to deal with God/karma/whatever about it...

I agree with Tiger15... great situation to partner up on the fly and go kill some critters opening day.

I would of kept on wheeling screw them thats how I see it... What they going to do shoot at you shoot your wheeler if they do that then they are really screwed and probably do some prison time in Alaska with butch thier new cellmate.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I would of kept on wheeling screw them thats how I see it... What they going to do shoot at you shoot your wheeler if they do that then they are really screwed and probably do some prison time in Alaska with butch thier new cellmate.
    Why does this NOT surprise me!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Why does this NOT surprise me!!!

Steve
    Sometimes being a nice guy gets you nowhere real quick!!!!!

"Hey you cant continue on this trail thier be caribou up on that hill, geez mr okay I will head back to town and come back tomorrow when you fellas are done hunting is that alright??? you gents have a great day and save me a caribou".

Screw that keep wheeling don't know why they even stopped should of waived and kept going...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Sometimes being a nice guy gets you nowhere real quick!!!!!
    Sometimes being a horses backside gets you dead!!!!

From the Lords Prayer

"forgive my trespasses, as I forgive those that trespass against me"
    Founding Member

I guess so Steve...

May I suggest an anger management program?

Like I said, hopefully everyone behaved as adults, even if disappointed, no need to escalate.

I think its always good to "expect the unexpected" on any hunt. By that I mean be prepared to be flexible, have a plan B and maybe even a plan C, at least in the back of your mind. In IL we have the "orange pumpkin" army hit the deer woods for gun season as the season is split up and the opening 3 days is the magical time. So, 100,000 armed people - I didn't say hunters as many don't qualify for that title, hit the woods fighting for their favorite hot spot - it can get interesting. But what I have learned is during the later seasons I sometimes don't see any hunters, especially if bad weather hits - so I tailor my activities as best as I can to "avoid" the masses.
    I can see where if your friends had a campsite in mind, came in late in the day and were pressed to get set up, it could be a very uncomfortable situation - this is where plan B becomes important. I think I would have spent a bit of time chatting to see how everyone may win - but if the first chaps were "not so pleasant" I would have bowed out and left. It would not be a win to have a heated argument and later have your camp or equipment messed with - too many better options.
    In life its easy to make enemies, but you have to work at it a bit to make friends!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast