Thread: dying rabbit

Default dying rabbit

Any one here dye their own rabbit to use on flies?????? Interested in hearing about it if you want to share.

Never have but i always wanted to dye other materials just sounds like a mess though!?

been thinking about doing just that. wondering if just drying the hide with borax would be enough 'tanning' before dyeing. no shortage of cottontails around here, it so dry, they are grazing down my cantalope vines. to hell with gardening anyway, i will be in alaska in 2 days, fishing!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I tried once. I had a whole white hide, it was tanned and fished well when I tied leeches out of it.

I bought some green rit dye and soaked it for a couple hours. The dye took great, the hide was never the same. It hardened when it dried and I could never use it to tie anything.

Been dying my own rabbit for flesh flies for about 3 years. Use Rit dye and hot tap water. I did a lot of experimenting with soaking time, just use a small piece to gauge time:color ratio. After the process I would ring as much water as possible out of it and hang dry and periodically stretch it out so it wouldn't stiffen out. The only problem I had was cutting nice strips out of it, takes a steady hand and good eye. Hope this helps,

Larry

Larry thanks for the info, it all helps, I just want to dye my own color, the color at the shops just isn't quiet right.........so I want to see if I can get it right...........

I hear you on that. Rit website has a color table with recipes to get you in the right direction.

http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

As mentioned use test strips. The hotter the water, the more vibrant the color. Most people use too much dye when using hot water. Play with the temperature and concentration of dye for desired results. Once you have the correct blend, wet your rabbir strip first, then dip it, and finally, rinse with COLD water. The cold water locks in the color. On a side note, after dipping if the strip is too bright just run hot water over the strip and that will remove a lot of the color. I use a blow dryer to dry my strips and they are always soft and flexible.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Maybe I'll have to give it another try this winter, dry it out better.

I had good luck cutting straight strips the right width using an exacto knife. I cut mine first, then dyed it - wonder if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Maybe I'll have to give it another try this winter, dry it out better.

I had good luck cutting straight strips the right width using an exacto knife. I cut mine first, then dyed it - wonder if that makes a difference.
    Oh yeah, dying first cutting last or cutting first dying last will both have seperate results. A note on drying, the quicker the better. After I dye my strips I ring them out good, layer them in newspaper as I continue to dye other strips. When I'm done dying the remaining strips, I'll blow dry all the strips at once. The newspaper trick draws a lot of moisture out in short time.

Don't make sound too easy or everyone will be doing it. Pelt $$ are on the rise $4.95 at some locations.

I strip mine before dying as that is a more crucial step in my mind/hands. Its easier to fix the color intensity than a botched strip. Sucks to have a perfect hue then screw up the thickness of the strip.
    I don't really fish or use flesh flies so I may not know what the heck 'm talking about.

Flesh flies don't work anymore so I quit using them...