Thread: Fly out caribou hunt with Arrowhead outfitters on the Toolik

Default Fly out caribou hunt with Arrowhead outfitters on the Toolik

Got back from a great trip up north on Saturday. 4 of us left on friday morning from southcentral and headed north after a stop for breakfast at Rose's in Heally and a forgotten credit card with a 10 mile backtrack to Ester we left Fairbanks and cell service to a whole different kind of Alaska. We stopped at the Yukon for pics of the bridge so the youngest in the party could complete one of his Alaska man duties. We stopped for dinner and fuel at Coldfoot then through Atigun and a different world. We arrived at Happy Valley strip Late friday night. Howard and Debbie from Arrowhead greeted us with a smile. One of our party was already in camp so we had a nice snack of grayling and chicken.

The caribou were running late and Howard was scambling to put all his clients in the caribou. We ended up going west of the highway along with most other flying services we didn't go to what are the "normal" camps for that time of year. A nice gravel bar on the Toolik was to be our home for the next week. Day one we set up camp climbed the bluffs around camp getting a lay of the land. Day two we could hunt and around noon we spotted a couple small bulls about a mile from camp. Two of us went out and after a good stalk we had meat on the ground. Glad we all brought good pack frames as the terrain can make for tough walking.

Day three two of us went south of camp after a big bull that was hanging around in the same area we saw him the night before. After coming out of a willow patch we woke up a cow moose, she was not running so as we walked by I gave a couple low bull grunts hoping she would be curious and not run away possibly spooking what was seeming to be very spooky caribou. The big bull vanished and we ended up harvesting two smaller bulls. As we field dressed the furthest one out, we spotted somthing running out of the willows 3/4 of a mile away. It was a 60" bull moose, as it is a drawing only area we just watched. He was making a beeline straight for us, he got closer and closer we then realized he was coming for a fight with us. We yelled and whooped at him and at 150 feet we locked and loaded thinking we might have to DLP this big boy. Finally at 50 feet he turned skirting us by about 50 feet stopping to look then he continued to the next drainage. The other guys in the party watched the whole thing from across the river being very entertained. The only thing I can think is he heard my grunts and was watching us till we stopped in one place and was going to run us off. We had another bull come right into camp after one of the guys did a cow call. These moose must not see people very often.

The caribou we found the first four days were as skitish as sheep the stalks were difficult and shots were long. Howard came in and picked up our first 6 caribou finding a tired bunch of hunters. He offered to move us but we had seen more and more caribou everyday so we opted to stay. On day five we saw that a large group of bulls had moved within a mile of camp, the night before they were 3 miles out. So at 7:00 3 of us set out up river to make a go at them. We popped up out of the willows to find a not skitish group of bigger bulls 150 yds out. After taking 3 nice bulls the herd ran toward our camp and the other two hunters took two more with the biggest one right in camp. By 9:00 AM we had 5 nice bulls down and by 6:00 PM we had everything hanging. We called Howard on the Sat phone and asked to come out a day early. Friday Morning we broke camp and Howard had everyone to Happy Valley by 1:30.
    On the way home we stopped in Wiseman just out of Coldfoot and found the neatest little store with a gift shop and cabins to rent I highly recommend it. A great time was had by all, and a big thanks to Howard and Debbie with Arrowhead for your proffesionalism and hospitality. Its so different up north of the Brooks I recommend anyone that loves caribou hunting to do it at least once, it was a great experience.

Lots of meat processing I put up 96 jars of caribou and have some Jalapeno cheese dogs coming from Indian valley.

I'll post some more field pics when my partner sends them to me

group photo.jpg
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Awesome! From what I've seen, people are slaying the bou up there this year. Too bad we had to cancel our trip up the Ivishak.

I can't get enough of that country up there.

Thank you for sharing a good hunt.How were the bugs?

Surprisingly not bad always had a breeze some nights it frosted.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

i work up on the slope and the bugs havent been very bad this year at all, dont know about a little farther south but it froze after the first hatch and it put a big dent in them

Well ain't this some crap, you guys are shooting plane loads of caribou while I'm working 7 days a week at the shop. And I'm not even invited, humph. I see how it is.

No really glad you guys had a great time, sounds like an awesome hunt.

Me and a pal also hunted with Howard from 15 to 23 August 2011. We bow hunted and did real well on the Lupine River. Howard made meat runs as we needed them and also dropped our fly rods/reels on request after supplying some sheep hunters. Bugs were down except one day but all in all a fantastic trip. We saw two grizz and I setup on a 9 footer with the bow as he made his way thru the willows on a cut bank right towards me. But he winded me at about 200 yards and beat feat. It was our first time hunting with Arrowhead and we couldn't have been happier with his outfit and skill as a pilot. I'm already making plans for next year.
    Thanks Howard and Deb.
    Chris

Congrats on an awesome hunt. Do you have any more pictures to share?

P8250151.jpgP8200135.jpg
    Camp and some happy hunters
    Unknown author

Unknown author

P8200131.jpgP8200129.jpg
    How much can you fit in the back of a Maule? a bunch of gear and one fat guy
    Unknown author

P8260185.jpgP8250150.jpg
    The Haul road and almost got there to late for a picture
    Unknown author