Thread: Bummed about meat hunting this year...

Default Bummed about meat hunting this year...

I didn't apply for the Tier 1 Unit 13 caribou because I like to hunt moose on the Kenai. Now that the Kenai moose hunt is essentially closed, I really wish I would have put in for the Tier 1 permit as it seems like everybody that put in got one. I have a bear hunt planned for October, so the season isn't a total loss.

I do have some time off, but no partners, any ideas for a solo bou hunt in the next couple of weeks? I have a Jeep, but no 4wheeler. I'm rifle only, so I don't think I want to tackle a haul road bou solo, but maybe...

Bummer for sure!
    I hadn't even planned to hunt the pen this year and did apply and got a caribou permit in 13. I hope we see a harvestable moose up there too, because I can't hunt them anywhere else now. The caribou is mainly for my son, as he has been dreaming of getting a moose, but I told him we would start with a caribou appropriate, lighter rifle (settled on the 6.5x5 for those of you who responded to my thread on that). Anyway, hope you find a good meat hunt Tyrex!

Suck it up, Tyrex!

Get a game plan....You are in Alaska, you have time/desire; get 'er done.
    Someone out there will likely do the Haul road with you; I would if I were there.

Keep your chin up and make it happen.
    If nothing else, go to Kodiak and shoot a few blacktail if you can. Send out some feelers here for a meat hunt partner.
    Carpe' diem!
    Proud to be an American!

Yeah, thanks. I just flipped through the regs looking at options, could our rules and regs get any more convoluted? haha I might be able to do some deer out of PWS, but anything that costs what flying costs is out of the budget. Anyone familiar with the Tok Management Area caribou hunt that opens on the 1st? I've never looked at that one before, but looks like an option.

Could always head up to unit 20 for moose....any bull area and LOTS of em! Don't count your year gone yet.....Its only just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Bummer for sure!
    I hadn't even planned to hunt the pen this year and did apply and got a caribou permit in 13. I hope we see a harvestable moose up there too, because I can't hunt them anywhere else now. The caribou is mainly for my son, as he has been dreaming of getting a moose, but I told him we would start with a caribou appropriate, lighter rifle (settled on the 6.5x5 for those of you who responded to my thread on that). Anyway, hope you find a good meat hunt Tyrex!
    If you got one of the drawing permits for unit 13 (not the guaranteed Tier I) then you are still free to hunt caribou and moose in other units. That is my situation, drawing unit 13, but free to hunt elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If you got one of the drawing permits for unit 13 (not the guaranteed Tier I) then you are still free to hunt caribou and moose in other units. That is my situation, drawing unit 13, but free to hunt elsewhere.
    No, not the draw but the Tier I. Me and draw permits don't ever seem to be on the same wave length.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Could always head up to unit 20 for moose....any bull area and LOTS of em! Don't count your year gone yet.....Its only just beginning.
    Thanks Ice, will look into unit 20 moose.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I'm in a pretty similar situation except for that I don't have any time off now to speak of except for the long Labor Day weekend so that makes it awful tough to do a hunt as far up as Fairbanks. I think the hardest thing for me will be leaving the shotgun at home starting on September 1st. A lot of the ponds that I've checked out moose hunting seem to hold a few ducks and that seems like a fun diversion, but it probably wouldn't be any good for moose hunting in the area. If you dig up any good info on the Unit 20 moose hunt, I could sure use a friendly nudge in the right direction too.

The Chicken area for caribou would be near the top of my possibilities list if I were in your situation. Already some success being had up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The Chicken area for caribou would be near the top of my possibilities list if I were in your situation. Already some success being had up that way.
    I've never looked at the Chicken hunt seriously as I like to avoid the crowds. Do you think it would be a circus this weekend or is it just busy around the opener?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I've never looked at the Chicken hunt seriously as I like to avoid the crowds. Do you think it would be a circus this weekend or is it just busy around the opener?
    I'd go up now as both the Steese Hwy and Taylor Hwy close at midnight on Friday for caribou.

I'm down for Chicken, or Paxon, or whatever. I've got a Rzr, camper, and a small jet boat.

Haul Rd, two trips out, 1 foot in front of the other. If not two trips out, then what ever it takes. It's good pain.

hey tyrex, I have friday to thurs off and was planning on heading to paxson to solo hunt bear/moose (my hunting partner for fbx fell through) but if you decide to do a fbx any bull hunt or a haul road caribou hunt PM me I'd be happy to find a new partner.

Sent you a email bumpasourus. I'm looking for a moose hunting partner for unit 20.

Thanks for the offer Bump. We're headed to Glenallen in the morning without much of a plan but loaded for bear so to speak. I'm calling it a scouting trip for future years as I've never hunted up north before. Thanks for all the advice and replys.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk