Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Let the party begin....................

  1. #1
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Let the party begin....................

    I always try to enjoy opening day. Being a old guy, I have had lots of openers over the years. Talked to another hunter the other day who told me he generally stays home opening week and then does his hunting. I like the excitement of another season, the anticipation, yes even the people. I know and look forward to later in the season when often I will have the marsh to myself. I know others will set up close to me, and shoot at my birds, and yes, I have set up in the dark near others and didn't see them until after first light. I'll be out exploring the area I intend to hunt Wen and making my plans. Last year I set my deks prior to the opening, first time I've done that, this year I'll just decide where to hunt, check out the water levels and weed growth, and not really set up until opening morning. Hope somebody else does not beat me to my spot. Hope you all have a great time, Bud
    Wasilla

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Bud,
    As a somewhat younger hunter(25) I have been wondering a question that only a seasoned hunter such as yourself can answer... with regards to anticipation.
    This year’s anticipation feels worse than any year I can remember. I wake up thinking about ducks, eat thinking about ducks, drive thinking about ducks and even work thinking about ducks. My better half is so sick of me talking about them that she is looking forward to the opener as much as I am.

    Does this excitement and anticipation decline as you get older and as life gets more complicated? Or in 30 years am I still going have all my stuff packed 5 days in advance just because I can't(couldn't) wait?

    -Pod

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    This year’s anticipation feels worse than any year I can remember. I wake up thinking about ducks, eat thinking about ducks, drive thinking about ducks and even work thinking about ducks. My better half is so sick of me talking about them that she is looking forward to the opener as much as I am.
    I can relate to this. My wife keeps asking if I am looking more forward to being home with her or duck hunting. I answer it correctly of course, but I still eat, drink, breath (and shop) duck hunting.

    William

  4. #4
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I remember sleepless nights in anticipating the next mornings hunt, but now there is ambian.........
    Actually, when I was young in Calif, use to go to Grizzley Island WR hunting area the evening before and sit in my car all night in line to get in the next morning. They let limited numbers in on a first come, first enter basis. Bud
    Wasilla

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I'm doing the same thing this year - waking up early and just taking a chance with my spot (of course, I have a few back ups!). Good luck to all!

    Of note, I thought packing and setting gear out 5 days early was waiting until the last minute...

  6. #6
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Looks down at left arm in sling....tries to lift cup of coffee and reels from the pain shooting out from the torn muscles in the elbow and forearm....goes out to the gunsafe and pulls out the lightest shotgun and pretends to swing it...no joy says the left arm....looks down at the pleading eyes of the dog and tells her "not yet, but in a couple of weeks...maybe"...she is not going to understand, but I am glad she can't read a calendar.

    You all have a good and safe time out there. I'll be OK come October maybe...I hope....stoopid winches....

  7. #7
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Hope you are ok, let me know if you need a ride out, I expect to be going all season, if I don't have a accident like you did. Bud
    Wasilla

  8. #8
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    I'm OK, just need the winter to recover from the torn muscles. Have to wear a sling for another few weeks until the pain stops and then start rebuilding the damage. Just not safe to hunt from a boat with only one strong arm. Hard to swing the shotty as well.

    Just don't hyper extend your arm and have the muscles pull apart. Its a funny sound, those little pops.

  9. #9
    Member sameyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Looks down at left arm in sling....tries to lift cup of coffee and reels from the pain shooting out from the torn muscles in the elbow and forearm....goes out to the gunsafe and pulls out the lightest shotgun and pretends to swing it...no joy says the left arm....looks down at the pleading eyes of the dog and tells her "not yet, but in a couple of weeks...maybe"...she is not going to understand, but I am glad she can't read a calendar.

    You all have a good and safe time out there. I'll be OK come October maybe...I hope....stoopid winches....
    Dang, that is just a bummer, best of luck on a quick recovery.

  10. #10
    Member sameyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Bud,
    As a somewhat younger hunter(25) I have been wondering a question that only a seasoned hunter such as yourself can answer... with regards to anticipation.
    This year’s anticipation feels worse than any year I can remember. I wake up thinking about ducks, eat thinking about ducks, drive thinking about ducks and even work thinking about ducks. My better half is so sick of me talking about them that she is looking forward to the opener as much as I am.

    Does this excitement and anticipation decline as you get older and as life gets more complicated? Or in 30 years am I still going have all my stuff packed 5 days in advance just because I can't(couldn't) wait?

    -Pod
    It never stops, started this duck hunting business in 1968 in the praire pothole region o Norh Dakota and at age 53 I still cannot sleep the night before the opener.
    Last edited by sameyer; 08-30-2011 at 22:49. Reason: wrong date

  11. #11
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Never....enjoy it!. 35 years after I started and still cant stop thinking about ducks....crazy..but love it!...even made my wife of 10 years watch about 20 Duckhunting videos and go with me about 10 times before I proposed..just so she knew it would never change....never..lol she thinks I am "Duck Crazy" Cant stand the week before Duck season opens..today she is really being quiet...lol I am focused like a toe missle on the objective. It will never change...so just sit back and enjoy it till u leave this place. I even made the twins wear their DU sweetshirt to school...Kaehla took her duck call to show the teacher...lol..bet that will be fun..told her to go in the classroom and blow it hard...lol


    Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Bud,
    As a somewhat younger hunter(25) I have been wondering a question that only a seasoned hunter such as yourself can answer... with regards to anticipation.
    This year’s anticipation feels worse than any year I can remember. I wake up thinking about ducks, eat thinking about ducks, drive thinking about ducks and even work thinking about ducks. My better half is so sick of me talking about them that she is looking forward to the opener as much as I am.

    Does this excitement and anticipation decline as you get older and as life gets more complicated? Or in 30 years am I still going have all my stuff packed 5 days in advance just because I can't(couldn't) wait?

    -Pod
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •