Thread: (Juneau) Transit Difference, Harris Harbor/Auke Bay

Default (Juneau) Transit Difference, Harris Harbor/Auke Bay

So I think I'm going to get a slip here in Juneau. I'm leaning towards Harris/Aurora Harbor. I wanted Auke Bay, but I'm not sure the increased cost and wait time for a permanent slip there is worth the convenience. That is what is spurring me to make this post. I've done all my launching here in Juneau from the boat ramp at Auke Bay. I was curious what the transit time is to get from the harbors downtown to say Shelter Island, or Lynn Canal usually is? I'd be saving about $500 a year, plus get a permanent slip right away going the downtown route, I just want to be sure that it will be worth the transit to my "typical" boating areas. Anyway any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Auke Bay Stater harbor does not have assigned slips which SUCKS in the summer. Fishermen's Bend marina in Auke Bay might be a good alternative. If you want to boat Shelter Island or Lynn Canal you can't really do it with any regularity from downtown (Harris Aurora or Douglas). You are faced with 10 miles South to the tip of Douglas then another 15 Miles back North to Shelter Island or playing the tides and running the bar (not usable every day either... you gotta have bigger tides to do that). If you are sick of the Auke Bay launch ramp meyham try launching from either North Douglas or Amalga (depending on where you live) or Tee Harbor is you have a small boat.

Sobie2

Can you rent slips in Fisherman's Bend or Tee Harbor? I was hoping to get a slip here in Juneau, but 20 miles of transiting on a good day doesnt sound like what I was hoping for.

Gave up my Aurora slip quite a while back. Used to be $500/yr, then they jacked it up over $1k. I can trailer my 22 footer easily - we'll that's after buring up a tranny in V-6 Dakota and getting a V-8 1/2 ton truck with a towing package.

Fishing pretty much sucks from downtown. Used to be the king fishing was the best during the Taku run, but now they have all the hatchery kings you can get to from Auke Bay. Salmon fishing is soo much better on the north end. Halibut is a push. I prefer deer hunting on the south end, but's that's because I know it so well after 30 years.

You don't say what size boat. If 24' or smaller, just trailer it.

On the transit - going around the back side of Douglas is 25-30 mile run to Auke Bay. Going over the bar, which is a very short run but needing a good high tide, is for fools.

Quote Originally Posted by curkel207 View Post
    Can you rent slips in Fisherman's Bend or Tee Harbor?
    You can rent at either place. Tee Harbor has season restrictions. Something like a 4 month season you can keep the boat there. I know folks who currently have boats there and used to have a slip there. Great access to fishing that is real close by. In spring, there is no need to fire up the main engine - just use the trolling motor from your slip and fish inside Tee Harbor. Good 'butt fishing close nearby and great salmon fishing close by too. They have fuel, but the docks are so-so for condition. Nothing wrong with Fisherman's Bend either.

Default Downtown docks

At 20 kts it's it's a long haul just to Auke Bay. in chop, in C-Dory, it's a lonnngg haul. Trailer or get a slip at Fisherman's Bend. Or, pay the rates at Slatter and be prepared to have a friend with whom you can double berth.

anyone leave their boat at fish bend over winter? Im considering it. any issues w getting iced in? Know roughly what it costs for slip for a 26 footer?

F-Bend at -10F back in '08. Coldest day in 21 years of commuting past Auke Bay.

Don't know the cost, but I would contact Andrew's Marina - that's the actual name of the facility. Fisherman's Bend was the store at the top of the marina which burned down the week I took these pix IIRC. Think it was a furnace fire. They do have upland covered and uncovered storage and a travel lift at, or near, the facility.

There are a couple of freshwater streams that dump into the harbor. It will skim over with ice, but the tide changes and current keep it from getting very thick and usually bust it up pretty fast. Ice doesn't last for more than a week. Old timers have told me that Auke Bay used to freeze up solid and form pack ice up to 1/4 mile from shore. Told me they used to walk out on it. Before my time here . . . .

My inlaws keep their 31' Uniflite at Fishermen's Bend year round and I use their boat every month of the year to go to my cabin. It costs them $3000 a year with power but they are in the biggest slips they offer. Ice happens but it has never been too thick for us (we are at the furthest float out but on the inside. The bigger concern as shown in the pictures is getting a slip to far in which goes dry at some of the lower tides.

Sobie2