Thread: Sitka Gear return problems - Anyone else have them?

Default Sitka Gear return problems - Anyone else have them?

I have a Sitka Traverse Zip-T that the stitching started to unravel after i washed it for the first time. Sitka has a lifetime warranty on workmenship, so I emailed them and asked them if I could exchange it. I sent 4 different emails over a period of 5 weeks before I finally got a reply. The gentlemen stated that they would exchange it for a new one and gave me a return authorization number. I boxed it up and Fedexed it back along with the return authorization form. That was 3 weeks ago and I have not heard from them. I sent them an email the other day and still no reply. Not too happy with their customer service. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with Sitka or perhaps this is an isolated incident. I have a lot of Sitka gear and really like it. However, if their customer service is this poor, I am inclined to not continue purchasing Sitka. There are a few competitors out now that have equally or better gear and would be worthy of trying after a sour taste with Sitka.

i sent back my ascent pants that lasted one fall...took about a month to get them replaced. i have some storm front rain gear thats about to be sent back....the seam pulled out on the jacket. already sent the stormfront pants back once cause they leaked so bad. that took several weeks to get replaced as well.
    give it a month...i always drop the "i'm a guide in alaska" bit in there to help motivate them... they garuntee their garmets but it seems a bit lackluster..they don't hold up to alaska abuse anyway and they don't replace them if they just wear out...just a sellin' point i think.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Interesting on your two experiences returning it to them. Maybe a year ago or so, they had me return my Ascent pants (crotch stitching coming undone) to Rainy Pass Repair in WA. I filled out the RPR sheet and mailed it to them. Sitka paid for the repair and shipment back. The process went pretty smoothly, but it maybe took a month to get them back.

I have two pairs of Ascent pants. The ones that haven't come undone haven't been pushed hard. I won't buy anymore of their stuff for a while. To have crotch stitching come undone after several days in the field is unacceptable for outdoor gear. I'm not the only one that has had this happen either. Unless you really need the "Camo", go with subdued colors from one of the well proven mountaineering clothing companies.

The ascent jacket is the only piece of Sitka gear that has not been sent back or taken as a loss. They upgraded my mountain pants to the ascent's after they detonated the second week I spent scouting for moose. The ascents will need to have the crotch sewn after this season. The zipper came unstitched on my 90% jacket the first few weeks as well but it lasted the season (probably because it rode in the pack 90% of the time)... The lining on my scree gloves started separating after 4 days of sheep hunting. The ascent jacket has been on 2 fly outs and tons of moose hunts and is still in great shape. It gets worn constantly. Unfortunately with a 80% failure record I don't plan to purchase any more. I will buy kiuiu or westcomb at retail or one of the mountaineering brands on sale. My TNF ridge top pants cost me $29 from DOG and did great even sliding down a scree slope with 1/2 a sheep on my back. They also repel water better and dry faster than the ascent pants.

As for the core zip... I bet you will see it in another week or two but in the mean time I would pick up a minus 33 quarter zip top and then sell the Sitka gear as a NIB item. Merino wool is the best thing since flour water and yeast were mixed, baked and cross sectioned!

merino wool....wondering how i lived without it before.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    merino wool....wondering how i lived without it before.
    You were, but why rough it!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    Unless you really need the "Camo", go with subdued colors from one of the well proven mountaineering clothing companies.
    I agree 100%. Usually, there's also great deals going on at STP, REI, MEC, etc. I would trust the companies that make mountaineering products a lot more than a hunting startup.

I was told to send my Ascent pants in for crotch repair. And it would cost me money to do that. I just went to the local alteration shop and for $10 it was done, I asked them to stitch over all of the existing stitches, that were questionable. The only good thing about their clothing is the fabric, it dries fast and is stretchy. Sizing sucks, stitching sucks. Sad thing is, I compared them to my cabelas pants, and there is twice as much stitching than the ascent pants.
    I suppose maybe it's hard to make stitching hold on this type of fabric, but that's what R&D is for.
    I had my fix of Hi-Tech hunting gear.

After all I've heard on Sitka (and really one "failure" in the field is enough), I wouldn't use it if it was given to me. I think the cost associated with it, and the "made Alaskan tough" idea made it a status symbol. I know a few that wear it as a "look what I got".

I have no problem spending BIG money on GOOD quality gear. I'm a believer in get the best once, and you'll never regret it. However, I think Sitka gear is far from the best, and unfortunately has shown that time and time again.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Here is an update on my original post. I finally got through to Sitka again and asked them when I could expect my replacement shirt. They informed me that they would check on it and get back to me. Much to my surprise, they sent me an email a few days later and informed me that they just shipped me back a replacement. However, they sent it by Fedex Smartpost which is how they ship an item to a post office box. The expected delivery date is not until the 15th. On the return authorization form that they originally emailed to me so I could send them back the shirt, there is a place to put the address where to ship it back to. I listed my work address as I was pretty sure they were going to use either Fedex or UPS.

By the time i get the replacement item, it will be almost 2 months from the time I originally contacted them. Absolutely lousy customer service. I will never again purchase Sitka gear. Way overpriced, poorly manufactured and terrible customer service. I agree with Alaskan22 that Sitka is a status symbol only and most certainly is not the best functional gear out there.