Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo 18 hour hunt!

Default Solo 18 hour hunt!

Started on Friday with a "HOT TIP" from a pilot who flys the area often, turns out we were not the only ones with this tip as many other were in the area. So we decide to try a few other areas. Somewhere along the way I lost a dry bag of all my hunting clothes. So we decide to return to town buy new gear and get back out Saturday. Saturday morning comes and new gear is purchased when I get a call from my hunting partner, some how he broke a tooth and is out until at least Tuesday.After much deliberation and advise from members of this forum I decided on a solo trip.Made my way into a valley and had to stop and rest a bit when I notice a ram about 600 yards off. He was 3/4 curl, then sheep began popping out all over. There was a large ram about 700 yards out and I decided to put the stalk on him. I got to within 300 yards when he went over a little knoll. So I walked up the side of the vally wall to gain elevation to see if he was over there. Along the rock slide I was going up were some willows and when the willows stoped at the top I looked up the valley and saw this ram laying in some brush within 70 yards. As I was not expecting this sheep to be there I was in plain sight of him. He did not get up or seem spooked at all. I stood there for what seemed like forever then decided to sit, when I sat some brush got between us. I looked him over for more that an hour, he knew full well I was right there. When he did stand up he gave me the look I needed to go ahead and pull the trigger on my first sheep. DSCF1887.jpgDSCF1886.jpg

Is he broke off on the left side? Nice job.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Great job!

Congrats Sir!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice job! Nice rifle as well what did you use?

So, I guess you are glad you decided to go solo! Congrat's!

good job, I might be going solo here too in a few days , can only hope to score as well as you have.

I used a 300 Weatherby with a 130 grain lead, a little much a that close range but who knew. Left side was broomed heavily and has quite a crack in it(charcter is what the taxidermist said). Right side was also broomed but a little over full curl. Measurements are, left 31 3/8 X 13 3/8 right 35 7/8 X 13 3/8.

Congrats on the ram !!!.....................

Whats with everyone and these short hunts ? are you guys trying to break records on shortest sheep hunts? , seems like everyone just wants to get it done and get out....... I like longer hunts, I like to enjoy the elements and the environment.

Seems like the sheep this year are right off the road, or in your back yards....

Just go's to prove that a man alone can do most everything

Awsome!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats on the solo hunt. That seemed to be no fuss, no muss. That is some good character in them horns. Way to go!

I do agree it was too short, but it was also my first sheep hunt so I was not going to pass on this chance. Now moose opens on Thursday and I plan on utilizing ALL 15 days!

Fantastic! I love hunting with a good partner, but I don't know if I have ever been as satisfied as when I took my first sheep on a solo hunt. You, sir, pulled off a very difficult feat. Hats off to you - you did well.

Too cool, congrats! It's nice to get some hunts that feel like they are handed to you to make up for all the ones you bust your butt and come home empty.

Congrats & a job well done !!

ToolMan: if you need someone to go take a closer look at that other ram I have a few days off later this month. Shoot me the GPS coordinates and I will be glad to give you a full report (with pics) when I get back!

Very nice indeed - congrats!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congratulation.

Wow. Impressive. Way to get 'er done quickly!

Respectfully, I say it looks like the year of the beginner's luck! Better to be lucky than good, for sure.

Taylor

Sorry left it at home! You know extra weight and all. But I might be able to find that spot again? I'm more than sure I will find if I ever get luck enough to draw another tag. I counted over 10 rams in the valley some worth giving a real close look. They we not in any big hurry to leave either. Just kind of hung around and watched me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast