Thread: Alpine Creek Lodge, Maclaren River Lodge Gas Prices

Talking Alpine Creek Lodge, Maclaren River Lodge Gas Prices

Does Claude sell unleaded gas to customers in the Winter or do you haul your own fuel in? If he does how much does he charge per gallon? Claude, we stayed there on the 4th of July weekend this year, was really amazing! Stayed in the Trappers cabin, how does the heat hold up in the cabin in March? I'm guessing around $7 per gallon at each place. Trying to budget for a 3-4 day trip for Spring Break this year with family and friends.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I talked to him last week when we hauled up his firewood logs and he said he will have fuel this winter. You may see us up there at the same time. At a minimum my son and I... maybe all three kids and my wife. Did we meet on the 3rd of July? My wife, son, youngest daughter and I showed up to visit on the green Arctic Cat 4 wheelers.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Stayed in the cabin march 2010. Of course we had a chinook come thru so the cabin was plenty warm. My thoughts would be the stove might need a mid-night stoke when the temps are normal. Cool old cabin though!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I talked to him last week when we hauled up his firewood logs and he said he will have fuel this winter. You may see us up there at the same time. At a minimum my son and I... maybe all three kids and my wife. Did we meet on the 3rd of July? My wife, son, youngest daughter and I showed up to visit on the green Arctic Cat 4 wheelers.
    Doug, we left around noon on the 3rd of July. We had a white Kawasaki and Polaris Ranger. Don't remember green Arctic cat 4 wheelers.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Stayed in the cabin march 2010. Of course we had a chinook come thru so the cabin was plenty warm. My thoughts would be the stove might need a mid-night stoke when the temps are normal. Cool old cabin though!
    Mod elan,

How was the snow when you were there? Wanting to do some mountain riding when we go! Also, does the baseboard heat work in the cabin?

i bring as much of my own gas as i can so claude don't get ran dry mid winter.
    plenty of awesome mtn riding out there, head over the pass to windy, then over the next pass to clearwater and the snow will blow your mind, you can be there in 30 min from the lodge if you've got a mtn sled. some avalanche country back in there, be aware of that as well. make sure the guys at the lodge know where your headed.
    april snow is usually no good for mtn riding, march and feb would be much better. sugary stuff with no base most of the time except the wind blown areas. but sugar makes for some sweet drops and jumps. be ready to burn gas and have a perma grin!! lots of areas with mogels and contours to ride.
    long track with horse power is almost a must for fun out there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i bring as much of my own gas as i can so claude don't get ran dry mid winter.
    plenty of awesome mtn riding out there, head over the pass to windy, then over the next pass to clearwater and the snow will blow your mind, you can be there in 30 min from the lodge if you've got a mtn sled. some avalanche country back in there, be aware of that as well. make sure the guys at the lodge know where your headed.
    april snow is usually no good for mtn riding, march and feb would be much better. sugary stuff with no base most of the time except the wind blown areas. but sugar makes for some sweet drops and jumps. be ready to burn gas and have a perma grin!! lots of areas with mogels and contours to ride.
    long track with horse power is almost a must for fun out there.
    Thanks BRWNBR,

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I will bring extra gas, but still wondering what I will be charged at the lodge? Can't wait, going the second week of March.

just call jen and ask her...phone number to the lodge is on the websight...
    amount of fuel they'll have in march might depend on how much traffic they get earlier in the winter. its hard to bring fuel in there in the winter, claude might have a better set up for it this year with his new bearcat he's gettin'....i'm sure he'd love hauling fuel 70 miles....HA
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

87 UNL will be in the $7/gal range but call or email to confirm. And the Trapper's Cabin is pretty snug. Claude, me and another guy stayed there back before the lodge was ready. Outside temps were in the -20 range and we were toasty. As of last year the cabin was plumbed for heat so between that and the stove you should be very comfortable.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Good to meet you out there Erik. Mr.Grayling, we got there after you left. 4th of July on the Denali Hwy is our family tradition so we will be out there again next year. Hoping to make spring break in March to be our new family tradition at the lodge I'll be riding a big old Bearcat 4-stroke like Claude's this year, but having rode one last season you'd be amazed where it can go.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Same here Doug! See you around "town"
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Good to meet you out there Erik. Mr.Grayling, we got there after you left. 4th of July on the Denali Hwy is our family tradition so we will be out there again next year. Hoping to make spring break in March to be our new family tradition at the lodge I'll be riding a big old Bearcat 4-stroke like Claude's this year, but having rode one last season you'd be amazed where it can go.
    Maybe we'll see each other out there in March. After looking at maps of the Clearwater mts. behind the lodge should be some awesome riding. Think SNOW.

Wow, been so busy I barely have time to get on here lately. Should slow down after Sept 20th. So to answer a few questions. Fuel prices: I haven't had my delivery yet this year, so not sure where I will be at. Last winter I had to go $7 because I had to haul a good part of it in from Cantwell and Maclaren River Lodge. Thanks Al and Sue, for taking care of us! I would expect to be around $6 this winter, but just call in a couple of weeks, and I'll know exactly. The trappers cabin baseboard does heat well in winter, but not as good as I had hoped. So, I'm planning on chinking the outside of it in the next week or so, and that should help a bunch. It was built in 1961, so I'm sure that will do the trick.

Also, for fuel, please feel free to bring in some before the road closes. I'll mark the barrels with your name on them, and then you can save some money on that. But I won't be making the mistake of last year and not buying enough before the road closes! It will be just your basic unleaded unless I hear that enough people are wanting the high octane stuff.

I am looking forward to the new Bearcat, groomer special! There was snow mixed in with the rain tonight, and it is really looking like an early winter, which I'm excited about! I love winter out here. Nothing like it in the world!

Just email us if your have any questions at alpinecreeklodgealaska@gci.net

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks Claude, going to make it out as much as I can this winter. Hopefully the snow starts accumulating soon. Keep us updated.