Thread: Question for private pilots

Default Question for private pilots

Presently I am on a temp. Caretaking job at a cabin in a semi remote part of Trapper Lake. I am in a canoe fishing for pike with no luck so far. A thought came to me as a few planes flew over. How does a private pilot feel when a stranger asks to go along on a fishing, hunting trip or maybe just to go sightseeing and offers to pay half the expenses? I'm just curious about your thoughts.
    JOHN

I suppose that would depend entirely on the circumstances, the pilot's personality, his initial take on you, if he had friends, girl friend or wife along with him etc. It's not like you'd be standing alongside a road hitchhiking. It seems unlikely that you could just walk up to some pilot who was going to go somewhere in his plane, especially a hunting trip, and expect a positive reply. You would be best off getting to know that person a bit, regardless of shared expenses.

The other consideration is that not all pilots are created equal and I would be inclined to go with someone who is older than 20 who at least appears to have a few thousand hours under his belt. But even highly experienced pilots have accidents.

I agree. Get to know the pilot. I am up to fly anyone, I'm always looking for an excuse to burn some hours. I will of course fly friends and people I like first, and there is no shortage of them. also, for your own safety. I have flown with people that have no purpose in the air, and you can figure this out before leaving the ground. Most of us are skilled, and humble, but a there are a few that......

I 'm a new pilot AK4ever but when I am a competent pilot instead of a new pilot, I will take you fishing! We need to meet someday anyway!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I 'm a new pilot AK4ever but when I am a competent pilot instead of a new pilot, I will take you fishing! We need to meet someday anyway!
    Hi neighbor, how are things going? Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on it.. But, in the meantime, I'll settle for a coffee or a stiff shot, lol. Check out my blog and see what I have been up to. I will be heading to the homestead about the middle of the month. Probably will fly with Willow Air.
    JOHN

When you walk up to somebody you don't know and introduce yourself, in a short time you will not be a stranger at all. While almost all of my flying has been in Part 135 charter type stuff. I would have not a problem with you or anybody else wanting to tag along in my pleasure flying. I love to fish myself, so you and me already have something in common. I am looking to return to Alaska, and this time its going to be for good.

I don't necessarily count on age when qualifying a pilot. My BIL started flying at a very young age and had his private ticket by the time he could drive. Matt Piatt was in his late teens or early 20's when he started competing at Valdez. Landed darn short too! I have flown with some great charter pilots and one that I would be fine never flying with again. All of them were at least in their 30's.

I am just waiting for Brian M. To get competent off field in the cub then I am going to start bugging him to go look at a few sheep spots I have been researching.

Quote Originally Posted by BH206L3 View Post
    When you walk up to somebody you don't know and introduce yourself, in a short time you will not be a stranger at all. While almost all of my flying has been in Part 135 charter type stuff. I would have not a problem with you or anybody else wanting to tag along in my pleasure flying. I love to fish myself, so you and me already have something in common. I am looking to return to Alaska, and this time its going to be for good.
    I like your attitude, do you have any firm plans here in Alaska yet? I think some may be taking me wrong here. I'm not talking about a complete stranger walking up to you and asking to go along. Of course you would rather get aquainted with someone first. I would think there are some plane owners would like to get out and have someone along for company and help with expenses. I know, there are times I would rather hang with a stranger than family. Just to talk about something different than the usual family stuff.
    JOHN

I'll probaly just come over on the sno-go this winter to start off with. Been checking out your blog and your making me tired with all the work!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I'll probaly just come over on the sno-go this winter to start off with. Been checking out your blog and your making me tired with all the work!
    That sounds like a plan, to tell the truth, all that work makes me tired to. It was a whole lot easier caretaking remote lodges.
    JOHN

Not to thread creep, but Lujon is right. You canít judge a pilots competency by age or just hours. A pilot may have 5000 hours flying a twin, in the Lower 48, in IFR conditions, but just 50 in Alaska in a Cub/Cessna flying off airport. Hours are only applicable if they apply to the type of flying you are doing at that moment. Although a broad range of experience never hurts.

John - Why not get your PPL.

this wld be fun to fly;

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...x_Model_1.html

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    Not to thread creep, but Lujon is right. You canít judge a pilots competency by age or just hours. A pilot may have 5000 hours flying a twin, in the Lower 48, in IFR conditions, but just 50 in Alaska in a Cub/Cessna flying off airport. Hours are only applicable if they apply to the type of flying you are doing at that moment. Although a broad range of experience never hurts.
    Yep, absolutely correct.

That sounds like a man-date to me.

Is this the King?

Default Too late

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    John - Why not get your PPL.

this wld be fun to fly;

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...x_Model_1.html

Rick
    That is my plane now. I just got my sport pilot licence two days ago in a weight shift. I am going to start flying the kitfox next week.
    By the way I already have 47 hrs if any one wants to go flying.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com