Thread: Tell me a bit abut running the rivers near Nenana

Default Tell me a bit abut running the rivers near Nenana

Thinking about a trip north at the end of spetember, have you run the Teklanika, Nenana or the Tanana west of Nenana? I'd love to hear about it! How do the rivers compair to say the Big Su? More or less challenging water?

BTW had a wonderful 5 day hunt on the Big Su this past week! Didn't get my moose yet but back country time is always a very good thing!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I have never run the Su, so cant compare. But have made the trip from Nenana to the Tolovana several times with a jet and relatively easy as most folks run that section with a prop, there are a few places where the river widens out and it you can find some skinny water, so good water reading skills......or big winch are helpful..............
    seems like it was about 60 miles to the Tolo, the Kantishna is anothe mile or so downstream and that can be run for a long ways with a prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Thinking about a trip north at the end of spetember, have you run the Teklanika, Nenana or the Tanana west of Nenana? I'd love to hear about it! How do the rivers compair to say the Big Su? More or less challenging water?

BTW had a wonderful 5 day hunt on the Big Su this past week! Didn't get my moose yet but back country time is always a very good thing!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Are you thinking of putting in the tek and floating to nenana? Would be a nice trip, the tek braids out a little bit and you could have to portage if you take the wrong braid. There is a big island about 30 miles from nenana that if you take the wrong way around it gets skinny and the big channel changes sides every year.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thanks guys I am just exploring options right now. Where would you access the tek to put in? There is a winter trail on one of my maps but thats it. I was thinking of motoring out from Nenana. Could you coment about wich sees more trafic? The joy of a freighter canoe is getting away.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

If you only have a highway rig the tek is tough, I don't know how close you can get from stampede rd in healy. At mile 275 their is trails/roads to the tek since the fire last year I've heard it's pretty good access. The firefighters improved one of the trails. It would be a neat trip from healy to nenana. I've walked and run orvs up and down 10 miles of it and would not hesitate to run my jet boat up the first 30 miles from nenana.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

To your traffic question the tanana is way busier than the tek.
    Unknown author

Thanks again The satilite images look great. Looks like a good size river with moderate current, lots of clear water tributaries and few cabins? Any thing I need to watch out for?
    BHA Member

Pic from the Big Su trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

BHA Member

There are trails to the tek and people living within a few miles of the river most want to be left alone but some are very freindly I've met some nice folks that live along the river.
    On the tanana watch for the barges they throw a mean wake. Great pics looks like a good time.
    Unknown author