Thread: Noisy hip boots

Default Noisy hip boots

I've just ordered a bear hunt (Grizzly and Black b.) in AK next year and have already started the preparations (the joy of expectations not to be ignored ). One thing that I soon realized is that hip boots apparently are the national footwear of AK and indispensable on a hunt.

I actually have a pair of hip boots, some nice breathable ones I used for fishing, but they are quite noisy.
    The breathable fabric probably contributes to the problem but the rubber hip boots Iíve seen over here (Scandinavia, Europe) are almost as noisy (we only use such things for fishing over here). I can see that US based on-line shops like Cabelaís sell rubber hip boots at 50-100$ and neoprene at around 150$ - but before I have them here, freight, toll and taxes have almost doubled that. So before I invest in new ones I would like to have some good advice from the esteemed Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum. What does the Alaskans use?

Thanks in advance
    Steffen BJ

I only bother with hip boots on boat/canoe hunts. Where/how are you hunting? I assume you are going on a guided hunt, if so, I would suggest asking your guide for a list of required/recommended gear. If hip boots aren't on the list, I wouldn't bother.

which ever boots you take, the noise from many things can be eliminated with a roll of camo duct tape. i use it to eliminate sounds from the swivels that attach my sling to my gun, and it works well on other loose noisy items. and good to have a bit when you go. HAVE A GREAT TRIP.
    edit signature here

If you do end up needing them and want to avoid expensive international shipping, you may be ahead to just get them in Anchorage or Fairbanks when you get here. There isn't much of "breaking in" on hip boots so new ones should not be a big deal.

But +1 for asking your guide what you need before spending too much.

I have a pair of the Lacrosse Ankle Fit Hip boots and have been very impressed with them thus far. I am taking them on a float hunt this year and a hunt on Kodiak, so we will see what my opinion is afterwards.

i just noticed......you are from copenhagen.

probably the most universally used boot for what your doing (depending on the area- and only your guide knows exactly what you need) but xtra-tuffs is the most used by alaskan's
    edit signature here

Thanks to all advice. The guide apparently prefers Lacrosse or alternatively Cabela's, so I guess I won't be far off by one of those (I would hate to be the (most) noisy guy).

I'll consider just buying a pair in Anchorage, we have to stay one night there before taking the hovercraft to the hunting area.

And to Hooternanny, yes I'm from Copenhagen and have been living here for 22 years now. Born in the country side and exiled to the city for job reasons, but dreaming constantly of the breaks in the wilderness.

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but have heard so much good about it from an old friend who lived in Fairbanks (he sadly died last year), so now I'm going up/over there to see for my self

Yours
    Steffen BJ

IMO your best bet is going to be wader pants (http://www.fishusa.com/Frogg-Toggs-H...de-Pant_p.html) and a good set of wader boots, like Krokers (http://stores.gorgeflyshops.com/-str...%2C/Detail.bok). The listed links are only for reference I have not used these businesses to purchase said products from.

I just did a North Slope Caribou hunt where I was walking 5 miles plus a day over varied terrain, to include almost daily mountain climbs with the above listed equipment. Most days I had to cross a river or walk a bog. This combination worked great. Good ankle support from the boots, enough room in the pants to add layers if required and the big part kept my lower half dry. The only complaint was steep downhill travel beat up my toes a little. The turn crank to tighten the boots worked great even on a couple of mornings when things were frozen.