Thread: 20 Mile

Default 20 Mile

Has anybody hit 20 mile yet? Are the silvers in there? I want to go there this weekend but have not been there before. Anybody going on Saturday? Can I follow? Got a boat or two that will join us. I heard the launch sucks...need a winch unless you launch at high tide..Is that true? Please leat me know..."fishon"

Default 20 mile

I have been fishing 20 mile for over 20 yrs. You can launch any tide, no big deal, just need 4 wheel drive. Fish have been in since
    the beginning of Aug. This has not been one of the better years. Was just up there today, had to work to get them. Lots of blown out holes.

Sweet...thanx MAD...Let me know next time you go...I want to get to know that river...heard it has some really skinny spots and good fishin holes...

thanx again...."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    I have been fishing 20 mile for over 20 yrs. You can launch any tide, no big deal, just need 4 wheel drive. Fish have been in since
    the beginning of Aug. This has not been one of the better years. Was just up there today, had to work to get them. Lots of blown out holes.

Default I don't agree with Mad.

20 mile launch can be a bear. Some low tides = nice gradually sloping launch, but some = 3-4' drop off/ledge, and under these conditions getting anything out that absolutely requires backing a trailer in is next to impossible. You end up having to wait for the tide to come back in. No big deal, just can be a long, boring wait.

Bob;
    Wife and I are in, sent you an email.
    Mike

Yep...gotit....anybody else wanta join this Saturday?..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    Bob;
    Wife and I are in, sent you an email.
    Mike

I'll never forget the time my dad stopped at 20 mile river and I asked, are we gonna fish this muddy thing? He said I didn't have to if I didn't want to. Just then we heard my sister shrieking and cajoling, (while I was trying to convince the old man to go a little farther down the road to the Kenai where we could really knock some boots, she had grabbed a fishing pole and made a cast above the bridge) anyway she was in a full fledged battle w/ a jumbo coho buck that was all tail walking, spooling her line and carrying on coho style. She managed to land the 10 lb chromer. I wasn't wasting any time I began flogging that mud hole up and down w/o getting a wiggle. Wouldn't you have guessed that good old dad said it was time to reel em in, tomorrow was the 1st day of school!...Needless to say it was yet another trip home w/ me bawling in the back seat while my sister smiled from ear to ear all the way home. I haven't bothered to stop there since, although I'd love to draw a moose permit up there

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Water up 20 mile is not really thin at all. it stays real wide till a 1/2 mile up past the forks. There is no 3' to 4' drop off ledge at the
    launch. Launched my sled last Monday when it was a minus 1.54 tide, no big deal. Easy running up. Like all rivers, inside of corner is
    shallow, outside deeper. I drove my buddies small Zodiac with a prop up to the forks yesterday, no problem. 20 is not that rough, run with your motor without the lower unit locked down so if you do hit something it will jump up. Good fishing till snow falls

Did the 4' drop just up and vanish? It has been there ever since I have been running that river. Last time I was there it was late last year, the drop off made launch and recovery quite interesting.

Default Big Rocks

I went up 20 mile Saturday with two other boaters and we all had Jet inboards, and we all went Left at the fork. I was told the river to the left went to 20 mile lake and the river to the right of the fork went to Carmen lake.

I can say we all hit rocks, and I hit several very large submerged rock that I didn't see at all. The water was very rough with large waves and it was hard to see those submerged stones.

I flatten part of a chine and put more than one dent into the bottom of my boat. We turned around up that left fork about 1-2 miles and went back to the fork and did a little fishing, directly across a white sign I couldn't read.

I won't be going up the left (river) fork if I ever go back up the 20 mile. I think I'll take the right next time. I did take a look at the water just past the fork to the right and it looked like three different braids you could take, so which one do you take to go further up steam and toward carmen lake. Or is the right fork section as bad as the left fork section

I'd love to hear from 20 mile experts which way you go Left or right at the big fork.

Yep I hit the river two and had a great time ya'll, I was one of the other boats on Saturday...launchin and retrieving isn't bad if you putin right close to the highway.....I though it was a fun river up to the forks, fishing wasn't bad either for the time we fished. I'm interested in knowin whats up the right fork as well...any takers? How far from the fork is the lake? I wana do it again...."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Yep I hit the river two and had a great time ya'll, I was one of the other boats on Saturday...launchin and retrieving isn't bad if you putin right close to the highway.....I though it was a fun river up to the forks, fishing wasn't bad either for the time we fished. I'm interested in knowin whats up the right fork as well...any takers? How far from the fork is the lake? I wana do it again...."fishon"
    I would like to give it a try again, but I'm staying off the left fork, don't want any more dents.

I was also wondering if ATV ramps use to load on and off vehicle's would work to lay down at the "drop off" waters edge, then use the ramps to launch at a much easier angle. Seems to me it would work just fine.

I think just using the mud closest to the highway works better...less cleanup and no problems....by the way Tony...we will be having backup lessons on Wednesday...ha! ha! ha!..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    I would like to give it a try again, but I'm staying off the left fork, don't want any more dents.

I was also wondering if ATV ramps use to load on and off vehicle's would work to lay down at the "drop off" waters edge, then use the ramps to launch at a much easier angle. Seems to me it would work just fine.

Bob. I like the run into carmen lakes myself. That river is easy to run. I haven't hit jack there. All you have to do is readthe water buddy. You'll be fine. If your want ill go this weekend.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Whatup akmike...I believe we are going to Alexander Creek this Saturday...you welcome to join if you want. We got 3 boats total going...let me know bro....anybody else is welcome to join as well...I do want to hit 20 mile again but can't do it this weekend..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Bob. I like the run into carmen lakes myself. That river is easy to run. I haven't hit jack there. All you have to do is readthe water buddy. You'll be fine. If your want ill go this weekend.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

Up 20 mile again tonight. Not sure were everyone is getting this 4' drop to lanuch had a tape measure and it was 14". Water almost
    back to normal levels. Not sure were you are running into rocks, are you sure it is not sunken trees? Right fork goes to Carmen Lake
    and 20 mile lake, not much fishing up that fork. Left fork has the best fishing, after the 2nd forks on either branch it gets tought, lots of braids.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I think just using the mud closest to the highway works better...less cleanup and no problems....by the way Tony...we will be having backup lessons on Wednesday...ha! ha! ha!..."fishon"
    It's taken so long to see this post I missed the "trailer back up lessons" maybe next time. I get the easy button this Saturday at the Kink.