Thread: Fishing locations between Anchorage and Valdez

Default Fishing locations between Anchorage and Valdez

I am headed down to Valdez over the holiday weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on good locations for some good rainbow, dolly, or grayling fishing between here and there?

Years ago I used to go camp at Bonnie Lake and fly fish for rainbows and grayling. I use to love camping and fishing there as the weather was always nicer than Anchorage. You will need a little boat to fish it though or a float tube.

Quote Originally Posted by flyphysh View Post
    I am headed down to Valdez over the holiday weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on good locations for some good rainbow, dolly, or grayling fishing between here and there?

Any of the Parks Highway streams are great for rainbows and grayling (willow, little willow, sheep, goose, montana, byers, etc.) There are a few dollies present but I wouldn't bet on catching one. Denali highway has TONS of grayling. If you want dollies, head to the KP. I know it's out of the way of Valdez but dollie fishing is great on quartz, the russian and the kenai right now. Might try Jim's creek for a dollie to. They are there but not of any real size, feeding on salmon eggs. There are a lot of streams heading down to Valdez (gulkana comes to mind) that have bows and grayling to. Find a clear water stream, pull over and fish it for a while. Never know what might be there. Especially if there are salmon present.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"