Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier Boat Launch Guy, yes you in the flip flops....

Default Whittier Boat Launch Guy, yes you in the flip flops....

Yes you with with the flip flops who stood outside our boat and flapped your arms telling my wife she need to move a 28 ft boat forward in a 20 kn wind so you could get closer to the ramp. You who, when my wife said she could not do it herself, went and got the harbor master people instead of helping yourself... yes you. Why did you have to ruin an otherwise fun weekend for my family? Was it so you could make the tunnel? because you made the tunnel with plenty of time to spare, was it that you thought you might get to cut in front of us in line, no because I was already at the launch when I saw the harbor master guys helping my wife... what exactly is your excuse for being a rude SOB?

End of rant. Thanks for reading.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

One thing I've noticed about Alaska in the last few years:

There is always some over-weight, beer-bellied guy in flip flops.

I have no idea why. Doesn't matter where you are, or what the weather is doing, he's just there....being obnoxious. Often times he thinks he's being funny and all you want to do is pick his still smoldering cigarette butt up and shove it up his nose.

Oh, sorry. This was JR2's rant......

I feel you, brother. Sorry your wife had to put up with that. He's the same guy that has to pass you on a double yellow, blind curve so he can get to Girdwood to pull off for a bathroom break 7 1/2 seconds faster than you.

Isn't that the truth. At least this guy did not drive like a jerk... followed me all the way to town at a respectable distance.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I swear that ramp brings out the worst in some folks. I just take a deep breath and keep reminding myself that I'm on vacation and some chump isn't going to ruin it for me.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I think he works for the private marina. Without the issues you run into at the ramp, why would anyone pay that kind of money for a slip? I think we have all had this. Unfortunately it is the bad experiences that stick in the memory sometime. Glad to hear you are enjoying the boat otherwise.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Not just guys; not only in flip-flops.
    One time we came back from halibut fishing out on K-Bay and my wife walked our Jack Russell terrier (a problematic, psychotic little turd) up the ramp to potty while I grabbed the truck. He went psycho when he saw another dog, and when my wife picked him up and attempted to discipline him by holding his muzzle to shut him up, a busy-body woman started screaming "Dog abuse!" at the top of her lungs. My wife is a very soft-spoken woman and said nothing, just retreated quickly and quietly. I asked her to point out the woman, but she had already left. Too bad, I would love to have given her a piece of my mind regarding minding her own business.

Only been out of Whittier a couple times now, loved the experience except the ramp. Didn't run into any real issues with rude folks, maybe too early in the year for it, but still causes anxiety with all the traffic bottlenecked together.

Now, as far as a beer-bellied cat in flip flops, that sounds a lot like me--I wasn't the SOB you ran into though--I had the misfortune of moving my office this weekend instead of fishing at all.

Really want to hit PWS this coming Labor Day--only hesitation is the ramp on a holiday weekend.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Well I am luck to work on the slope and most of the summer I go out before most people and come back after the weekends. Not many problems at the launch on a Thursday or Monday... now that School has started I am back to being a weekend warrior like everyone else and the last two trips have ended with no so much fun at the Whittier boat ramp... Only a few more trips left for the year so might as well not let the rude people ruin it for me...

Don't bad-rap only the rude people! There are plenty of polite, quiet, granola crunching, little skinny kayakers spreading there crap all over the ramp, calmly loading water bottles, dry bags, and Mountain House bags for an hour or so taking up a lane.

(I own three kayaks and never would think about doing that, guess it's because I also own an ocean boat with a giant gas motor and understand the situation on the ramps.)

I'm just curious, its been a while since I have been there or had to deal with Whittidiots, since we have sold our boat we use to keep there. Has anybody tried to access the ramp down by Smitties Cove, i'm sure it is still there if not chained off. It was free, parking may be a problem, but somebody should take a look and post about its availability. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I'm just curious, its been a while since I have been there or had to deal with Whittidiots, since we have sold our boat we use to keep there. Has anybody tried to access the ramp down by Smitties Cove, i'm sure it is still there if not chained off. It was free, parking may be a problem, but somebody should take a look and post about its availability. Bud
    It is still there, but requires the same fee as the other ramp. (There is a sign posting the fee.) Obviously there is no dock and the road is a bit rough. I suspect you would have a ticket under your windshield wiper upon your return if you parked there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I was so excited my first few trips out of whittier I could barely stand it, so beautiful and so many places to see and explore... Anyway now that I have been a few times I doubt I will be back, at leats not very often. The whole place is a zoo. After launching down at lowell point beach nice and peacefully without rude people everywhere and just being able to relax and enjoy myself its where I plan d=to do most of my adventures.....

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Yes you with with the flip flops who stood outside our boat and flapped your arms
    Pics or video? Imortalize that idiot on YouTube!

Sounds like it would be a good place to go to for some laughs. Is there a burger joint near there so I can watch? Might be up to a day-trip before the seasons over.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well guys... as long as were venting, I have BIG problems with boaters who make wakes in the harbor. I think I'm gonna start taking pictures It really sucks when you are doing engine work in your slip and you get waked spilling oil everywhere because some scissor bill is trying to save time.
    Smitty's is fast and easy if you have a person to drive the truck and another to drive the boat. Park in your usual place and pick up the truck/trailer park (er) at the fuel dock.

I wish there was a video, and my wife said the same thing.... "I bet his tune would change if he was on You Tube"... too bad her Iphone batter was dead from 3 days of being on the water.

The best place to sit and watch the ramp is behind the Ice Cream place, they even have chairs out there for you to sit in. I spent several hours on night this summer watching a Sunday evening unfold.

This whole rant should be aimed at all idiots, not just the ramp guys or wake guys, its quite a shame that we have to talk about any of this. In the words or Rodney King "Can't we all just get along"...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Not just guys; not only in flip-flops.
    One time we came back from halibut fishing out on K-Bay and my wife walked our Jack Russell terrier (a problematic, psychotic little turd) up the ramp to potty while I grabbed the truck. He went psycho when he saw another dog, and when my wife picked him up and attempted to discipline him by holding his muzzle to shut him up, a busy-body woman started screaming "Dog abuse!" at the top of her lungs. My wife is a very soft-spoken woman and said nothing, just retreated quickly and quietly. I asked her to point out the woman, but she had already left. Too bad, I would love to have given her a piece of my mind regarding minding her own business.
    can't rep sayak, for the 2nd time today but thats part of whats wrong in the usa today. we need to speak up on the spot. educate when possible, first try with words, then use rocks.

you should have flipped that flop a booger at minimum. maybe nonshalontly walk up behind and do a quick de-pantz. we all need to do more to help educate the idiots in all of us. i mean lets face it we all have duhhhh??? moments.

but i remember a time when people usta say "HEY", now seems people think how rude of someone that doesn't provide common courtesy and just shrug it off because of trouble that can occur by getting further involved. perhaps fear of getting involved or wasting time to help raise other peoples adult children. i too am guilty of that. but i can change.

more and more i have begun to tell people in situations like that. not belittling or mean spirited, just as a matter of fact and educational and the responces seem to have been quite well. i have put a goal into action of taking more of a lead as i am now getting older. but i do have one new knot on my head, but i enjoyed it, but you could probably tell i have a knot on my head from my ramblinging.

ok, everybody!! next time out, educate an idiot, remembering we are all idiots from time to time and we too have had to learn what we've learned some how.

as a member of society we can handle more than we are currently doing - person to person, we are man enough and it need'nt go any further than just bein who we are an co-existing. what you do to help flip fat belly flopper around may come full circle and help us all move unto the next thing coming after this me-me selfish modern society.
    edit signature here

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Anyway now that I have been a few times I doubt I will be back, at least not very often.
    Tell me about it! It is awful...so awful that I have only spent 45 days out there this season. Good thing the season is coming to a close. I don't think I can take much more of it. Sheesh!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Tell me about it! It is awful...so awful that I have only spent 45 days out there this season. Good thing the season is coming to a close. I don't think I can take much more of it. Sheesh!
    Yes but I suspect if you (and I) had to launch Friday evenings and take out Sunday afternoons we would be saying the same thing. As it is now I go out for weekends... leave on Thursday afternoon and come back Monday afternoon.... perfect.

On a side note it was nice meeting you out on the water. Maybe next time the weather will be a bit better.

As far as wakes in the harbor, I seem to remember that if someone's wake causes damage on your boat that the person who made the wake is liable. But I'm going by memory.

Gripe about the boat that loads the kayakers loading at the ramp. Shouldn't (don't) they have their own slip?

If you're at the dock and there's space in front of you, move your boat up so others can pull in behind you as they're coming in to retrieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast