Thread: Here's a white sauce recipe: "Sloppy Potato"

Default Here's a white sauce recipe: "Sloppy Potato"

1stimestar asked if I would post this white sauce recipe, so here it is:

Sloppy Potato

Based off of a Bechamel sauce, this is a Bechamel plus onion plus mushroom plus lamb dish.

One batch feeds 2 1/2 hungry people, so multiply the quantities appropriately to feed how many people you want to:

Boil chunked potatoes in chicken or beef broth & salt for 30 minutes until done. While that's happening:

In a saucepan:

• melt 3 tblsp butter
    • cook in 2 tblsp minced red onion, until translucent
    • then add 3 tblsp flour, heat until bubbly & thick but don't brown it

Add that mixture to 1 1/2 cups scalded milk. Whisk. Add some salt and a tiny amount of pepper. Keep adding salt until the taste balances correctly between the onion and the salt.

Add 3/4 cup finely minced mushroom.

Simmer until right thickness. Add small pinch of nutmeg and 2 tblsp finely minced parsley.

Brown 1 1/2 inches of gyro (lamb) slices (1 1/4 pounds?) cut into1/4 inch squares, and add to sauce. I buy my gyro meat in bulk at sams club; it is pre-cooked and pre-sliced.

To Serve:

Mash a potato chunk down and slather with the “white sauce with lamb”.

Alternatively, slather toasted bread with it, slice and eat.

Family review received: 5 thumbs up out of 5

I took this to a potluck gathering, and I posted the following directions/sign (in addition to some copies of the recipe) next to my crockpot full of white sauce that sat next to a big bowl of boiled potato chunks and one loaf of sliced homemade bread:

Sloppy Potato

Directions: Slather the sauce over either potato or bread.

An original recipe created by (edited: FamilyMan, here on the forums) about a week ago, based off of a Bechamel Sauce. This white sauce features a bit of onion, lots of mushroom, and lamb (gyro) meat. This dish was renamed to “Sloppy Potato” by 5 year old son Daniel, after he heard Dad's unreasonably long name for what we were having for dinner.

The bread is a mustard/dill/cheddar/jalapeno recipe of mine and the potatoes were grown in Palmer.

Since I do our family's cooking here, my wife told me that the potluck instructions requested a dish from our ancestry for tonight's gathering - we're all Scandinavian here. I love to cook but I know no Scandinavian dishes, and told her this dish was more of a German style. She told me that since this recipe was created by a Scandinavian (me) then it IS a Scandinavian dish. Me: “Yes Dear.”
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 08-28-2011 at 22:23. Reason: To replace where the dumb forum software replaced my fractions with "&#whatevers"