Thread: Ruffled Grouse question

Default Ruffled Grouse question

Took my 10 year old out for our first sucessful grouse hunt, bagging our limit and making for one very proud dad and son. While I was field dressing the birds I noticed that one of the birds has a darker color to the meat. It was head shot, showed no abnormalities compared to the other birds, but the meat is a red color from head to legs, where as the other 3 are comparable to chicken in color. All 4 were ruffled, gold band on tail feathers. Any idea why the one's meat is a different color?

Spruce grouse have the gold band on the tail feathers.

Sounds like you got 3 ruffeds and a spruce...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Just googled some images and looks like I got my tail feather bands reversed. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about the mis-identification, the trooper that stopped just as we got back to the truck didn't know which kind of grouse they were either .

Default Family group?

Did you happen to shoot them all together? Perhaps there were 3 juveniles with lighter meat and an adult. Enjoy the bounty. Just saw a great parmigana recipe on an American Gun Dog episode. The darker bird will do best with a sweet or fruity marinade. I've also had really good luck stuffing them with jalapenos and a white cheese... Wrapped in bacon never hurts (except the arteries).
    Go Big Red!

Yep, you likely shot the hen (dark meat) and three of her young-of-the-year. The young birds haven't developed quite the need to fly a lot compared to an adult and therefore didn't need the blood/oxygen in their muscles yet.

Jim