Thread: Fairbanks Grouse?

Default Fairbanks Grouse?

I live in the good-ol North Star Bourough for 3 years now on Ft Wainwright, however every time bird seson opens up, it seems that i'm out the door heading somewhere, so i never had a good oppertunityto chase grouse. And again I will be gone for about 1 1/2 months starting in October. As every other post explains, I am in no means trying to gain acess to someone's secrete spots however I would truely welcome any and all knowledge of bird hunting in the great interior. And if anyone needs a good hunting buddy besides your trust worthy 4 legged pals it would be a great privliage. I made a many good friends in Texas chasing dove, quail, ducks and everything in between. Thanks!

You don't have to go far. There are plenty of ruffed and spruce grouse right on Ft Wainwright and conventient to you. And the Yukon Training Area is even better yet! You might do some homework first by checking out ADF&G's website and reading up on the birds. I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have but I'm gone a lot of the time in September hunting birds all over the place and I might be slow in answering.

Best of luck on your learning and hunting adventure!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I never tought of scouting the the area that i was already in lol. I figured i had to travel at least 10 to 15 miles out of fairbanks to catch them.

People always forget that they don't have to roam far for birds in the interior! Lots of people have them right out their back door!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I photographed this ruffed grouse pretty much in your backyard!

Jim

Wow thats a beautiful bird, cant wait untill the weekend, taking the wife and kid out to YTA and going to try and bag me some ducks. EXCITED!!!

Hmm! Can't say as I've ever seen a duck in the YTA, but good luck.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    I photographed this ruffed grouse pretty much in your backyard!

Jim
    Good looking bird! I have a few here and there in my back yard. I get off Wednesday, and then hunting moose for a few days. We should get together sometime after that!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Sounds like a plan to me!

Jim

I've yet to kill a ruffed grouse but if it's half as handsome as that devil I'll be a happy camper. Great capture. My personal preference is that gray phase.
    Go Big Red!

LOL I'm not looking for duck at YTA only grouse, however I thought would plan a little trip to Creamer's Feild for DUck as well this weekend. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrandMrsFrias View Post
    LOL I'm not looking for duck at YTA only grouse, however I thought would plan a little trip to Creamer's Feild for DUck as well this weekend. lol
    You and about a millon others hunting both duck and moose in creamers. Just a heads up to ya!

WOW is Creamer's really that bad? I knew there would be alot of people but I was hoping to get a decent spot. Well I guess its back to the drawing board.