Thread: Eureka Caribou

Default Eureka Caribou

Went out today Near the Eureka and gun sight mountain area to hunt for some caribou. From the stories I've heard is there are all over in that area. (The stories made it sound easy)
    When we were up there we did not see any caribou. I have never hunted this area before so I just rode my wheeler and glassed around on hill tops and it just seems like the animals just weren't there. Was I in the wrong area at the wrong time? Maybe in a couple more weeks they would be in that area. Please help a newbie here. PM if needed thanks

if you don't find one keep driving. i haven't seen a 'bou near gunsight or eureka in years...gotta get back into the mnts to the north quiet a ways last i knew. just check some of the aug caribou success threads on here and you'll see where guys have been going for caribou.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was heading out to the Denali Highway early Saturday morning to fill my tag and saw one cross the road right in front of Sheep Mountain Lodge. I had never seen one anywhere along the Parks before.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I was heading out to the Denali Highway early Saturday morning to fill my tag and saw one cross the road right in front of Sheep Mountain Lodge. I had never seen one anywhere along the Parks before.

sheep mountain lodge isnt on the parks........
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Sheep mountain lodge is on the Glenn

Sheep creek lodge is on the parks

So which is it?..........................

From all my reports, you aren't east and north enough to see a large amount of animals. There are a few "resident" bou in some areas around Eureka. I travel the Glenn a lot and rarely see a bou near the road. I have also found that they are not around Lake Louise much this year. A few have been taken, but it is not really migrating herds. Choice is not really a factor. I don't know if it is the size of the herd, the weather or what, but they are farther north and east than usual. I only have 1 bull on game camera.

Call 267-2304 for the latest updates.

Harvest quota. 2400 which is 550 cows and 1850 bulls.
    To date harvest is 667. 301 cows and 366 bulls.

With 3100 RC566 permits alone, I am really surprised with the current numbers. My group is 4 out of 5. I still have a tag to fill. I did get to watch my son get his first bou!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Default KA, love your posts and pics, but ..... uh...... duh???

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

Its on the Glenn, of course. Just a short ways before you pull off the Glenn to the left, gas up, and have a great meal at the Eureka cafe, home of the 25 cent coffee. I don't think I've ever once driven past this place without stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Its on the Glenn, of course. Just a short ways before you pull off the Glenn to the left, gas up, and have a great meal at the Eureka cafe, home of the 25 cent coffee. I don't think I've ever once driven past this place without stopping.
    Indeed. Their biscuits and gravy are the bomb, as well!

Default Eureka is sparse for Bou

My buddy and I went to Eureka on Friday 8-26 with Tier 1 permits. We were packed to stay 3-4 days and headed for Yako Ck. area. However, we ran into a small group on Monument Hill and took a small bull and a cow. So in and out the same day. Others that came by said we were lucky because some of them had been hunting for days even as far back as Yako and hadn't seen many. Judging from their comments and the opening of moose season this week in there I would recommend heading over by Paxon off the Denali.

spent the weekend in paxson .... go deep or go home...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    spent the weekend in paxson .... go deep or go home...
    Is that what Mod_Elan told you as well your first year of hunting in unit 13 LOL...

I have gotten the DC480 draw permit and didn't even think about the tier permit. Now Im kicking myself in the behind as now I know the difference between the two(Just figured tier was for long time residents) So this year my hunt is limited to the Lake Louise/Eureka area. I don't know the area all that well but I am learning as I listen to what people have to say and also studying maps of the area.

I need to figure out a new plan for my next outing in a couple weeks(If the hunt doesn't close)

sent you a pm

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Is that what Mod_Elan told you as well your first year of hunting in unit 13 LOL...
    I believe it probably something similar......He showed me alot and taught me alot,... much due respect to him..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

Judd is my dad, and what he meant was that he saw a caribou close to Sheep Mountain Lodge on the GLENN, not Sheep Creek Lodge on the Parks.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Indeed. Sheep Mountain Lodge is on the Glenn, not the Parks. My error. Thanks son!

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I believe it probably something similar......He showed me alot and taught me alot,... much due respect to him..
    People would be smart if they had any questions on unit 13 to ask him... Big thing will he give up that info...