Thread: Skidoo Super wide tract 800 2010

Default Skidoo Super wide tract 800 2010

Hey I have a problem with my wide track and I am wondering if anyone has run into this same situation. this machine started overheating big time. I used it most of 2010 in 14 to 20 degree weather and had no issues. this last winter 2011 in March The weather was about 10 degrees warmer and I had nothing but trouble. I could not even pull an empty sled behid me. This machine did this over and over. I even ran it ontop of ice in about two inches of overflow and it still over heated. I was finally able to get it back to the dealer. (my place is about 95 miles back in the bush with no roades) The dealer wasn't sure what the problem was, first they said it was because I scarred the radiator with screws (which of course it ran all last winter with them in, only on the side of the track) and now after they are saying they think it was the brain. The thing is, this machine is no longer being offered in a 800 due to al the overheating problems. So I am just wondering if I am the only Alaskan who has had this problem? If any one has had this situation please let me know. I'm not sure if the new brain will really fix the problem and out in the middle of no where is not a great place to find out!

Is the fan on while it is overheating? This machine should run just like a wheeler since it has the radiator and fan. None of the ones I'm around have an issue as long as the fan is operational.

I have not had that problem, mine is 2009.

I'm glad you haven't run into this. I do like the machine but if it won't pull it won't pull. They (the dealer) thought it was the radiator but now are saying it was the brain (of course they want me to pay 1400.00 for the radiator so I suspose I will. Just sorta courious as you can imagine.

Yes the fan was on and it was getting plenty of snow up on the heat exchanger. We had to unhook the load and run it by itself in the deeper snow. We also ran over 8 miles of ice and water, (you know water on top of the ice which should have cooled it big time. we even packed the engine with snow avoiding the electrical. The gas tank was actually so hot that it made a ridgid plastic hose soft. You couldn't even have your legs against it. It is really weird. Then once it sat a while it would run again. But I'm when I say run I mean with very little power, up to maybe 24 miles an hour tops with no load. We finally had to wire the fan in such a way to have it run constantly to get it out of the bush. This is a 92 mile trip over mountains etc. NOT a place you want to leave a sled.

Sticking thermostat, delaminated coolant hose, restricted radiator. Some of the things that come to mind real quick. I chased an overheating problem on a sled once and finally found a hose had delaminated on the inside and would restrict the flow. Of course this was after I change the heat exchanger The hose will look just fine on the outside but might feel a little mushy when squeezing it at the bad spot. I will try to think of any more possibilities.

Check the water pump? On some, the impeller is held on by a screw or bolt and the pump can look like it is working when actually everything is spinning except the part that moves the coolant.

Have a 2009 and 2010 SWt 800. I am building a cabin W of Petersville and both machines hauled great in March. We took some pretty heavy loads in and it is not all flat. SO no problems in the warmer months yet.

Is this still a stock machine? Have you put a block heater in it for the cold?Reason i ask sounds to me might have a air lock in the coolant system, have you ever added coolant fuild??I have one and have put many miles on it with good loads and warm temps never had the light come on.. That muffler will get red hot, Knowing that i propped the hood open while running, to let the heat out..If answer yes to any, of above, park machine with rad.. cap high as possable {hill] [ditch] and see if get any air out of it.. Post your ?? Over on this link, some them guys have 10,000-20,000 miles on there,s..
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showforum=92
    There was problem with the brain on very few,Was something with the fan not coming on, You said yours worked so i just don,t know about,.. I keep thinking air lock.. Let know how it goes..

Let me say that I have had lots of time on the SWT they have been an excellent machine for me. Bought my first one 1989 it was a Nordic 60 with a 503 rotax engine high / low / revise and 24 inch wide track it would go any where and pull 2500 bl. Loads on flat ground. I ride 96 mile one way to my cabin the last 7 miles would climb 1700 feet. And the last 7 miles I would break my load down to make the hills. I had put 15,000 miles on it and had on trouble sold it.
    Then I bought a 1998 Skandic SWT 24 inch wide track the ride was better the mileage was still the same 10 MPG. Did great just like my older one. the only thing it would not turn around as tight as my older SWT did.
    Had 13,500 mile on it when I lost a cylinder. So in Feb 2011 bought a new 2011 Skandic SWT 800 4 stroke 24 inch wide track. The ride was even better the windshield not as high so the wind would hit your face. And no rope start for back up. only put 25 miles on it in first gear at 15 mph and found it was melting my tub on the side the muffler is on. So I pulled in second gear after that and it stopped the malting problem. Had talked to 5 others that had the same problem with machines too. Also the skandic 800 4 stroke is to heavy in the front it wants to fall to the right or to the left in deep snow hard to ride NOT like my other two SWT machines I had they where great in deep snow and in the woods. The only good thing I will say is it got 17 MPG ,
    Sold my skandic 800 in the spring of 2011 and rebuilt my old 1998 SWT engine for this winter. The new 2012 Skandic I think are not as heavy in the front???

I double the Dootalk suggestion. A few guys over there were having timing issues after high mileage, not sure if that would fit your problem but some of those canadian guys know the sled like the engineers do.