Thread: Maud road duck hunting

Default Maud road duck hunting

Anybody ever hunt ducks on the lake system back there? I am thinking of trying it for the first time with my 18ft lowe with 16 horse go devil. I pulled up the sight on google earth and got to looking. Will i have to portage my boat to get into the creek from jim lake? Any suggestions or hot spots out there? I am fairly new to the water fowl scene and ran rabbit slough last year and had a blast, i have been missing out for years.

drive back there and check out the boat ramp..will explain everything. You will not have to portage your boat if you go to the ramp....be aware of trying to get down there after bad weather etc...can get slippery...other do help if needed..but you could find yourself stuck in there..leaving pissed off duckhunters both trying to get in or out....you can run the whole system back there once in...tons of areas to explore..have fun
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I have driven back there and checked out the first launch and the Jim lake launch, i will be sure to keep the conditions in mind. I was hoping to get out of Jim lake and run the creek up to the swan lake area or somewhere around those parts... Sounds like the creek ties into jim lake on the south side? I was hoping to camp out over night possibly and get a good early start. Thanks for the heads up

creek ties into into all of them..have fun..alot of pressure back there..but you got the rig to find birds.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The first lake is mud lake, it connects to a creek that runs into jim creek. Ask guys at the ramp, there will be lots there thursday morning and all next week. no problem with your set up. jim lake i have never hunted because that is all there is, a small lake. Mud lake connects to several others by following the creek. if never been on the system, might want to explore a before opening day, or atleast don't do it in the dark til you know your way around. I have never refered to it as a "ramp", more like a mud hole, and yes, it is proof that 4x4 trucks can get stuck. Watch others launch a few before you do. You can also launch at the old Knik bridge and go up river and up jim creek but try that first in light also, can also be tricky finding the mouth of jim creek and getting through the shallows at the mouth. Bud
    Wasilla

Sounds like i will be launching at mudd lake and heading for the mountains. I had a few issues with my motor choking out due to lack of fuel, so i am going to run it a bit before i try for the river. Do you guy have more luck than hunting out of say rabbit slough? Anybody run from jim creek down the river to rabbit slough if its slow on that side? I should get back from caribou around the 5th then im heading out there to explore.

From Mud Lake finding the entrance to McRoberts creek can be a real pain when at night. The east (left) side is really shallow and so is the entrance into the channel to the creek entrace. Without an understanding of which weed patch is which you can spend hours just going around out there in the dark.

At Jim Lake there is a portage on the south shore that is part of the Mat Su rec trail system. It is not marked for night time use, but can be easily found in the darkness once you get to know it in the daylight. From the end of the road it is a little more to the west (right) than you expect. Aim for the large birch trees and not the spruce trees.

Not sure how you will get an 18foot boat over the 3 foot tall bank at Jim Lake. Or how you will get it over the portage.

The portage is about 40 feet long and is muddy on both ends. Once in the creek - McRoberts - go east (left from the bank) to head down to Jim Creek.

Depending on water conditions there can be lots of weeds for jets and outboards to be hassled by - you should be fine. Once at the "Y" of McRoberts and Jim Creek hang a left up stream. The current is much faster and just after turning left there will be a few cotton woods across the stream. They are hanging from the south bank so stay to the north side and skip over the tops.

Hunting in the Jim Creek swamps can be very trying on your nerves. It is huge and hunters tend to concentrate in certain areas leaving vast areas to act as a refuge. You can spend an entire day watching birds flying and not get a shot off. Or you can get a limit in a few hours. Also there are large areas out there that no duck will ever go to since there is no food or other reason for them to be there. There are also large flooded grass areas that hold ducks and you would think the place is void of life until you run a boat through it.

A boat trip down to rabbit slough would take most of a day and burn way to much fuel. A trip down to duck lake would take just as long.

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that place anymore.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

its a great place to target shoot! bring some cans or something to shoot. i try to shoot off a thousand rounds when i go up there.
    Semper Fi!

I would not suggest going in there anymore if you are not familiar with it. Water levels being where they are there are too many rocks that can tear you up out from the launch at Mud Lake and hitting the cut into the creek could prove to be a severe challenge if you don't know where it is. Your best options and risks are 1. put in at the mouth of Jim Creek and risk coming back to a burned out truck; 2. Launch at Mud lake and shoot over to the far side (birds will work back and forth after the war begins); 3. Leave the boat at home and walk the shore of Jim Lake to the east. THere are some large grass fields next to the lake that will draw in some birds as well as the water. Lots of pass shooting.

I've never done it, but I've always been curious about running up from the Knik bridge off the new Glen Hwy. The river braids out and there are some nice looking areas once you get up around the tailrace. If you run up that way you should be alone, but I know the birds work the areas quite a bit.

I should have brought that up. You need to go out there in day light hours. Once its dark it all looks the same and until you get to know which grass pad is which you will be having some issues in the dark no matter how good your lights are. Also keep in mind that there are many users out there that do not have any lights on their boats. Not even a head lamp. Makes for some very interesting encounters when you are in a boat that can move faster than 5mph.

Forgot about those rocks. At least the big one and its cousin to the west will be easy to see if the water level is way down like last year. The rocks that folks have dug out of the ramp face and then tossed into the water a few feet out from the ramp are the ones that always remind me of the rock issues.

The big rock is a great aid to navigation. Stay to its right about 20 to 30 feet and you will be almost lined up for the channel through to the creek and Gull Lake. Almost, you will have to steer to the left a few degrees once through the second lily pad area just past the end of the cliff on the south. The sunken tundra lumps you start hitting will remind you to start turning for the more open water area to your left. the mud boats help keep a shallow channel open, but better bring a push pole in case it is too shallow. If a mud motor is in stuff that is too wet and the boat is high centered on muck it won't move until you can sink the the prop into something that it can bight into.

Two years ago there were some guys with a short shaft that claimed they were stuck going into Swan lake since the muck was too wet for the prop to get a bight on and the boat was sitting ontop of the muck. One of the advantages of having a long tail is that you can get down to the harder bottom and walk it in.