Thread: fishing in early May?

Default fishing in early May?

Planned a bear hunt May 12, 2012 at Coffman Cove and was hoping to do some fishing. I've been told that the fishing isn't so hot this time of year but was really hoping to catch some halibut and other bottom fish while on this trip. Can anyone tell me if the fishing in this area will be any good this early in the season. And maybe where I might have my best chance at getting some halibut. THANKS

Ok, maybe I should ask if the middle of may is to early for halibut and other bottom fish in the Sumner Straight area. I know that it's to early for good salmon fishing but it seems that may and june are often spoke of for being good halibut times in a lot of areas in alaska. Would just like to have some insight on what to expect.

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Default Fishing mid May from Coffman Cove

There will be some halibut at Snow Pass but it is a tough bite until the middle of June. Actually, I would encourage you to but a king salmon tag as we had excellent fishing for them the middle of May.

I second the suggestion to get a king salmon tag - if there are any fish around. You can get the tag when you arrive on the island. If the kings are early you could hammer them. I have done reasonably well on halibut in May at Cape Addington and a couple of other spots near the western coast. Most of the fish were small, 10# to 30#, but I did get one that weighed 92#. Expect more big fish later in the year.

Big_E

You can find halibut in early May. It's also one of my favorite times to fish for kings, if you have a clue as where to find them.

For the halibut.. anchor up, get a good scent trail going, and wait them out. You'll get them.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I will definitely get a king stamp after hearing what you all said, and I'm going to try my ****dest to find some halibut. I'm planning on doing some hunting around Kuiu Island, is there anywhere near this place that might have some good bottom fishing. I'm not familiar with Snow pass or Cape Addington but will due some research on these places and keep asking around, Thanks again.